The Lyceum - Good, bad????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The Lyceum - Good, bad????

Hello
    I was engaged in December, we have picked a date in February of 2011 and are looking for a restaurant type for our wedding/reception.  We are thinking about 75 people max.  I found The Lyceum restaurant and their prices seem very good.  We will be having gour ceremony there as well. 

Has anyone had their wedding at the Lyceum or has been to one?  If you had your wedding there, where did you get the cake? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: The Lyceum - Good, bad????

I had my wedding there. The former event planner was kind of a ditz, but I had a fabulous wedding.  The food was phenomenol and the price could not be beaten.  We didn't have the ceremony there, so I can't tell you how that will go.  It's the perfect sized place for a smaller wedding. We had just about 100 people and had a blast.  :-)

I got my cake at D'Amici's in Lynn.  Really good cake!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you ALF.  Is there a nice area to take pictures?  It says it's not handicapped accesible are there alot of stairs to get to the second floor.  The coordinator mentioned that the ceremony would be in front of the fireplace.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The photos we took there came out great!  We have lots of photos in front of the fireplaces.  The architecture in general is very nice, so there are plenty of places to take photos.

If you want outdoor photos, there is the Common, down the street.  Also, Lynch Park in Beverly is right on the water and has some beautiful spots for photos. You could take some before the ceremony.  There is also a park next to Pickering Wharf and also Salem Willows for outdoor photos.  Oops, I just saw you are having a Feb wedding - you probably don't care about outdoor photos then. :-) 

The upstairs is not handicapped accessible. The stairs are narrow. If anyone needs a walker or is in a wheelchair, it will not work.  We fortunately didn't have those problems. I did have a great aunt w/ a broken foot, but she was in a walking cast. She didn't have any problems getting upstairs.

The upstairs bathrooms are tiny, but downstairs [at the base of the stairs] there are large, handiapped accessible stalls.  If you have your wedding on a Sat afternoon, you will have the entire place to yourself until the restaurant opens at 5 [unless their hours changed].  They don't serve lunch on Saturday.  HTH!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you.  We are looking at the space tomorrow night.  She mentioned that they do the cremonies in front of the fireplace.  I'll ask them about the hours on Saturday, that would be cool if we could have the whole place to ourselves.  What time was your wedding?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

My wedding was at noon [mass in Marblehead] and the reception ran from 1.20-6.30.  It was Labor Day weekend, 2007.  One of my sisters had her reception there as well in August 2007. 

There is room for a 5 person band in the room w/ the bar, even though it doesn't look like there is.  It is NOT tight squeeze.  We had a swing band and my sister had  a jazz band and there was plenty of room for dancing, including twirls, spins and dips. :-) 

If you want any vendor info, let me know.  I grew up in Marblehead and spent alot of time in Salem.  Have fun looking. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thank you.  The coordinator seems nice and the space upstairs is beautiful.  I will let you know if I need any vendor info.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyclechic06. Show Cyclechic06's posts

I second everything that's been said.  I haven't been to a wedding there, but I've had several cocktail receptions and dinners there.  Both rooms are really nice and the fire place in winter will give nice ambience.  The food is fanstastic and there's a parking lot down the street.

I had my wedding in Salem and the PEM last summer, if you need a good florist in the area, I'd reccomend Flowers by Darlene (aka Northshore Fruit Basket).  She's fantastic, reasonably priced and is very close to the Lyceum.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We didn't go with the Lyeum.  The stairs were a problem for a couple of the guests and my FI didn't want our guests to have to pay for parking.  But we ate at the restaurant and the food was outstanding and I totally loved the space. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

FYI, parking in the lot diagonally across from the restaurant [and behind the District Court]  is free on the weekend if it's not tourist season [may - october]. You can also arrange w/ the garage that is associated w/ the mall [but is still municipal parking] to pay for guest parking. We didn't do it b/c they wanted you to pay for more cars than we knew we were going to have and b/c I personally hate parking in that garage. lol.  I know this doesn't help Winter, but it may help someone else.