Unique North Shore venues, 225+

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

Unique North Shore venues, 225+

Hi,

I'm new to wedding planning and these boards, and am hoping that someone can help me. I'm about to begin visiting venues on the North Shore and in Boston, and I am having a bit of a dilemma. I have a large family, and my wedding will be 225+. I'd like to get married on the North Shore for convenience and price, but am finding that a lot of the places that can hold that many people are function halls, which are not my style. My mom is very much against the idea of relying on a tent, and I tend to agree with her. I prefer something a little unique, so I'm looking in Boston at places like the Omni Parker House or the Seaport...but the prices are staggering. I'd really rather find something on the North Shore, as it will be more convenient for guests and less expensive.

My priorities are great food and a really cool setting, whether that means a view or a historical or funky place. The Hawthorne Hotel, for example, was on my list until I found out that it would be too small to hold all of us. My fiance does not want to get married in a museum, so the PEM is out at the moment.

If anyone can think of any memorable North Shore or nearby venues that they've been to with fantastic food and a nice view or historical feel to them, I would love to hear about them. Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 91909Bride. Show 91909Bride's posts

Re: Unique North Shore venues, 225+

Hi Wedin2010 -

My fiance and I are getting married at Tewksbury Country Club in September and we picked it because we literally couldn't find anything else like it in the Boston area!  I wasn't crazy about it being directly on Route 38, but it is set a little off the main road, and it is a golf course in the back, so no one is ever in the front! 

I am gonig to try to post a picture of the inside, but I just got it off their website www.tewksburycc.com. They are cheaper than Boston, but still I wouldn't say they were inexpensive.  They are definitely willing to work with you though.

www.tewksburycc.com/gfx/sequoia-ballroom220.jpg" border="1" alt="Ballroom can accommodate groups up to 300 people" width="220" height="147" />

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

You might try Maudslay State Park in Newburyport.  There is a barn that they rent out for weddings and other events.  You need to provide your own caterer.  It would definitely hold that many people.  There is also an ampitheatre adjacent to the barn where you could have a ceremony if you wished.  It is a more rustic feel to it, the park is beautiful.  A description from their site:  "The Center has excellent acoustics and is surrounded by beautiful plantings and trees. People compare it to Tanglewood, but it is a much more natural setting. It’s absolutely beautiful.”  This is the website:  http://www.sandyberkenbush.com/Maudslay/Maudslay%20Site/Art/openart.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Alot of people seem to like Willowdale in Topsfield.  There's also the Danversport Yacht Club - you don't have to be a memeber to have it there. There are plenty of other yacht clubs on the North Shore, but I think that for most of them, you need to be a member or have a member sponsor you.  Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will look into all of them, and am having a tour of the Willowdale tomorrow. The only problem with it is that it is tented for a reception of that size.

And the Danversport Yacht Club is nice, but the problem is I had all my high school events there so I have images of awkward teenagers slow-dancing...and so will many of my friends.

If anyone has any other thoughts I would love to hear them. Thanks again!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyclechic06. Show Cyclechic06's posts

If you can convince your fiance to look past the fact that its a museum, the PEM is gorgeous.  My wedding will be there in three weeks and our final count is 226, and there's plenty of room to hold more.  We also considered Turner Hill, but never looked at it after the coordinator didn't return three of my phone calls, I can't remember if thats tented. 

Check out this link: http://northshoreboston.weddings.com/Local/northshoreboston-Reception---Ceremony-Sites/VendorResults.aspx/CAR

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I felt the same way about Danversport.  I had my senior prom there. Did you by any chance go to Fenwick? 

What about the Elks at Bass Rocks in Glocester?  The Crane Estate in Ispwich can accommodate up to 200 inside. 

For the North Shore, most places are tented for larger weddings, unfortunately.  We had a smaller guest list, so it wasn't a problem {I share your aversion to tents}, but for larger numbers you are going to be limited to standard wedding halls or tents on the North Shore.  Good luck. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Gruiseport Gloucester is really nice and can accomodate over 300.  I wanted to have my wedding there but ended up having it closer to Boston.

http://www.cruiseportgloucester.com/index.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

I would also consider Andover Country Club and Georgetown Country Club. Both GORGEOUS venues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

Thanks again everyone. I have been toying with the idea of Gloucester as well so I'll look into the Cruiseport.

I didn't go to Fenwick, ALF, just to another high school on the North Shore. (See what I mean!? Everyone has a memory of Danversport, haha.)

Unfortunately the list is creeping up towards 250 rapidly, so the Crane Estate is definitely out, and I will look into the PEM again. Cyclechic, I noticed the rental fees were pretty hefty...do you find that you save with catering, etc. by bringing in your own?

Thanks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Hi Wedin,
    I totally understand about the Danversport-I had my junior prom there, too! I have a good friend who got married at the Tavern on the Harbor in Gloucester last October, they have had nothing but good things to say about the place. Another good set of friends is getting married there this August, and I believe there are close to 300 people invited. Everything I've heard has been good. It might be worth a look!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from campBoston. Show campBoston's posts

Try this website as well.  They have reviews of their Boston reception sites to give you an idea of what you're getting.

http://www.bestbostonweddings.com/boston-wedding-reception-sites/1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyclechic06. Show Cyclechic06's posts

In Response to Re: Unique North Shore venues, 225+:
    [QUOTE]Thanks again everyone. I have been toying with the idea of Gloucester as well so I'll look into the Cruiseport. I didn't go to Fenwick, ALF, just to another high school on the North Shore. (See what I mean!? Everyone has a memory of Danversport, haha.) Unfortunately the list is creeping up towards 250 rapidly, so the Crane Estate is definitely out, and I will look into the PEM again. Cyclechic, I noticed the rental fees were pretty hefty...do you find that you save with catering, etc. by bringing in your own? Thanks!
    Posted by Wedin2010[/QUOTE]

We're going with Hawthorne Hotel caterers, they're very reasonable priced.  We had looked at a few venues in Boston and found the site fees were rather comparable, or when the site fees were low, that catering was high.  What I'm saying is, it seems to balance out.  Though I must say, and I saw this on a vendor review of them and felt very validated, the catering rep for the Hawthorne at the PEM is a pain to work with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

Hi there.. congrats!! Not sure if your picked your location yet.. but the Crane Estate is a beautiful location, and their max inside with no tent is 200 people.. you have to fugure that a few people will not make it.. so you might fit in there!!!
    Good luck.. keep us posted!!

Staci

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I think we have transitioned over from considering the North Shore and are going to do Boston instead; it just offers more options, especially now that a tent has been completely ruled out for us.

We are strongly considering the Omni Parker House, but haven't yet signed our contract. I've looked up the info on the old boards, but it's a bit tough b/c looks like they went through a major renovation a season or two ago and had some unhappy brides then. In any case, if anyone's been to any stunning, non-cookie cutter venues or has feedback on the Omni Parker, please let me know. We loved it so we're definitely interested but I'm always second-guessing myself til the last minute. Just for background, I also looked at Seaport, Royal Sonesta in Cambridge, and Sheraton Back Bay.

One of our big qualifications is that if we're going to do this in Boston, there has to be a reason...AKA no windowless ballroom that could be anywhere. That's why we liked the Omni Parker--great views of the city and very old Boston feel!

Thanks!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridetobe1901. Show bridetobe1901's posts

Hi,
    It sounds like you have a lot to think about!  But I think that I have a great place in mind that could be perfect for your wedding.  It is called Willowdale Estate in Topsfield, MA.  It is a beautiful stone mansion with lush gardens, a patio, and a specular garden courtyard.  They have a permanent Sperry tent which is gorgeous!  It can fit 250 people and then in addition you have the entire mansion for your event.  I am getting married there myself and am so happy with my decision to book with Willowdale Estate.  If you have any questions don't be afarid to ask!

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Best,
    Julie

In Response to Unique North Shore venues, 225+:
    [QUOTE]Hi, I'm new to wedding planning and these boards, and am hoping that someone can help me. I'm about to begin visiting venues on the North Shore and in Boston, and I am having a bit of a dilemma. I have a large family, and my wedding will be 225+. I'd like to get married on the North Shore for convenience and price, but am finding that a lot of the places that can hold that many people are function halls, which are not my style. My mom is very much against the idea of relying on a tent, and I tend to agree with her. I prefer something a little unique, so I'm looking in Boston at places like the Omni Parker House or the Seaport...but the prices are staggering. I'd really rather find something on the North Shore, as it will be more convenient for guests and less expensive. My priorities are great food and a really cool setting, whether that means a view or a historical or funky place. The Hawthorne Hotel, for example, was on my list until I found out that it would be too small to hold all of us. My fiance does not want to get married in a museum, so the PEM is out at the moment. If anyone can think of any memorable North Shore or nearby venues that they've been to with fantastic food and a nice view or historical feel to them, I would love to hear about them. Thank you!
    Posted by Wedin2010[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Wedin2010,
    If you have 225+ people the Omni will not work (at least the top ballroom) our friends had their wedding there and it was a lot smaller that 225.

Also, just remember you might have declines (we invited 300 people but only had 150 come - mainly due to the economy right now and a lot of the no's were out of towners). 

A few people already mentioned the Willowdale (which is where we had it) and Cruiseport (which was our second choice). We had budgeted for 240 people.

If you want Boston - the Commadant House is really unique. Click here to see website - I just didn't want to hire all the needed vendors, but did like it.

Also the Endicott Estate was pretty cool: Click 

Good luck!