Unique venue??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mm-987. Show mm-987's posts

Unique venue??

Hey all,

I'm recently engaged and am now looking for a wedding/reception venue for 2011.  I'm searching from DC, which makes it extra hard, and lacking inspiration.  Does anyone have some ideas on a venue that can do both a ceremony and reception, with 80-100 people, in and around Boston (anything up to 1 and 1/2 hour drive from Boston)?  I'm looking for something somewhat unique:  winery, gallery, loft etc. I would rather not go the hotel or county club route.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Unique venue??

Not sure what time of year you are going to get married, but I got married at the Museum of Science in July and it was fabulous. The ceremony was outside under the pavilion and the reception was in a tent right next to it.   Also, they have a skyline ballroom that could accommodate your number of guests.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Hi, mm:

I'm happy to recommend my venue -- Bournedale Function Facility in Plymouth.

It's a beautiful place on a large pond.  We chose it because we wanted to get married outside but wanted a great alternative in case of rain (thank goodness, because it did!). 

It's fun, funky, and awesome.  It's been 4 years, and our friends still rave about the uniqueness of it.

During July and August, it's a summer camp for kids, so if you want, you can have all your guests stay overnight in the cabins and have breakfast the next day.  We also had a bonfire after the reception.

Can't say enough about the staff.  We were treated like gold through the entire process.  The food was awesome -- we had stations.

Also, there are outdoor decks on two sides of the function hall, so that if your guests want to hang out outside, they're right next to the party room.

They get a one-day beer and wine license, so we were able to afford full open bar with beer, wine, and champagne.

We had about 110 guests -- a perfect size for the room. 

Check out the website at www.capefunctions.com.

I would not have changed one thing!  Good luck to you and congratulations. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We got married at the registered historic landmark (.org), The Wayside Inn.  Paul Revere stayed there along with many other famous early Americans.  So, if you're looking for a venue that embodies the spirit and history of New England, check it out.  There is a chapel on site and 10 rooms at the inn (most of our OOT guests stayed a few miles away at the Embassy Suites in Marlboro (highly recommened for wedding blocks), but a few chose to stay at the inn.  My mom, mother-in-law, MOH, and I got ready in the room that my parents would be staying in that night.

www.wayside.org/weddings

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

Congrats!  And I totally second the Museum of Science.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

We just had our wedding at the Griffin Museum of Photography in Winchester.  We only had 70 guests, and they recommend a MAX capacity of guests and staff/vendors of 100 so you need to be very sure of your guest count.  We loved it, and all of our guests thought it was very unique.

www.griffinmuseum.org

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I was married and had my reception at the New England Aquarium, and it was just fabulous. They use the same catering company as the Museum of Science.
    You have a few different options, you can rent one of the exhibit halls, the restaurant, or you can rent the pier and have it tented. I think the tent is 3 seasons, maybe more. I chose the main exhibit hall, which can fit up to 300 people. The prices are very reasonable. The coordinator was a huge help, I gave her the contact info for our vendors and she took care of everything. I don't think the one I worked with is there anymore, but I hope they found someone else who's just as great.
    I chose it because DH and I have memories there, it's centrally located, the Marriott Long Wharf is literally steps away, and there's the big parking garage right out front. Plus lots of tourist info centers for out-of-towners.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mm-987. Show mm-987's posts

Thank you for all the ideas!  I'm definitely going to look into them all. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldevents. Show goldevents's posts

Castle Hill Inn...Newport, RI
    http://goldeventplanner.com

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA which is beautiful and lots to do in the area for guests as well - I believe The Hawthorne Hotel caters for them and I can confirm that the food from Hawthorne was great, just had my wedding there in October and everyone was raving about it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

The Exchange Conference Center in Boston probably isn't that unique, but thought I'd put it out there.  It was one of few places in Boston in our price range.  Location could lend to some cool urban and/or water view photos.  Never visited in person though because it could only fit 150.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21177GR. Show 21177GR's posts

Ok, here are my suggestions!
    Not sure on the 100 people max---but definitely unique and beautiful places!
    Belle Mer, RI (this might be the best option if in summer months!)
    Fruitlands Museum, Harvard, MA
    Peabody Essex Mudeum, Salem, MA
    Blithewold Mansion and Gardens, RI
    Hammond Castle, Gloucester MA 
    Annisquam Yacht Club, Gloucester, MA
    Upstairs on the Square, Cambridge MA
    Three Chimneys Inn, Durham, NH
    The Wentworth-Coolidge Mansion, Portsmouth, NH
    Tower Hill Botanical Gardens ,Boylston, MA
    The Harvard Faculty Club, Cambridge MA
    Glen Magna Farms, Danvers MA
    Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, MA
    The State Room, Boston, MA 

good luck!!! And Congrats!!!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I'm excited to see the Three Chimneys Inn on that list.  It was a perfect setting and we loved it.  I do have to say that it can hold up to 100 people, but we had 83 at the wedding and that was perfect.  I think 100 would have been too tight. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Harvard faculty club requires sponsorship by a harvard alum or current faculty/instructor/postdoc type person. I had my wedding there.

The Harvard clubs in Downtown and Back Bay don't require such sponsorship and are also gorgeous.  Although, my husband had a work function there within the last week and said the food was inedibly bad, for whatever that's worth. And they screwed up the group's menu too (made a menu substitution without asking).  I've attended a couple events here with reasonable food though (not especially memorable in either good or bad ways).

You might also check out the College Club and the Hampshire House and the Algonquin Club if you like the old Boston clubby feel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

We were married at the Willowdale Estate - LOVED it and very unique to New England.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mm-987. Show mm-987's posts

In Response to Re: Unique venue??:
    We were married at the Willowdale Estate - LOVED it and very unique to New England.
    Posted by katie1980

We ended up booking the Willowdale Estate for Dec. 2011, so I'm always glad to hear about good experiences there!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

So excited for you! The Willowdale is amazing :) I had such a great experience having our wedding there. Best of Luck!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

Add Jones River Trading Co. in Kingston to your list. Very pretty and unique. 

Sections
Shortcuts