Venue for a cocktail reception

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from VWell. Show VWell's posts

Venue for a cocktail reception

We're planning on a cocktail reception (with heavy apps) instead of a traditional sit down meal. I'm looking for a venue that will accommodate that. While I like Hamiliton Hall, they require events to be over by 10 pm. I'm considering Chesters at Bell Tower Square but my fiancée is hesitant because it's in Lawrence.
    I could use some help, any recommendations on the North Shore?? What about Central Mass??

Here's some specs:
    150 guests
    Willing to spend 3K-4K on a venue

Thanks everyone!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

Re: Venue for a cocktail reception

Hi,

I looked at the Topsfield Commons when I was planning and I really loved it. It was too small for us with 200+ guests but would be perfect for your sized wedding, especially with a cocktail reception. It's really pretty and I've been to a winter wedding there (not sure what season you're planning but that would probably save costs!) and they have fireplaces, etc. They also have an outdoor space for warm-weather stuff.

The food prices were really reasonable from what I remember, the coordinator was super enthusiastic and one great money-saving thing is that b/c Topsfield is a dry town, you get to order your own liquor at wholesale rates and can return anything unopened, then you just pay a few dollars per head for the bartender and juices, sodas etc. 

I loved it there, and was sad that it was too small to fit my wedding. I'm not sure that they actually do cocktail receptions, but I bet they would work with you. And the food was sooooo good at the wedding I attended there!

Hope that helps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

A previous bride had used the Griffith Museum of Photography in Winchester and loved it, but its capacity is 100.  Try googling all Massachuestts museums -- like the DeCordova in Lincoln.    You might find just the place.  Sorry I don't have any more specific ideas at the moment...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I was just at the JFK library museum this weekend and that is a beautiful spot!  Not sure where they would put a wedding reception, but i think that the view of boston in the background would be perfect for a cocktail reception.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dela12. Show dela12's posts

The Steven's Estate in North Andover.  Vert pretty and the food is wonderful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

just make sure your guests are aware that you're having a cocktail/appetizer reception as opposed to a sit down dinner...that way guests with special dietary requirements (like diabetics) can "meal plan"...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

And so people will eat a regular meal before they go, too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

Agreed on the warnings. I recently went to a cocktail reception held on a boat at 6 p.m. There was no warning that it was cocktails and (non heavy) apps so we hadn't eaten ANYTHING beforehand, assuming it was going to be some sort of dinner. I didn't feel well with wine, a swaying boat and not much food. The event was actually fun, but when you're requiring people to be somewhere from 6 to 10 and you're not serving dinner, there just needs to be a little warning that's like "cocktail reception to follow" or whatever and then everyone knows what to expect!

On a side note, cocktail hour is actually my favorite part of most weddings, so done right, it will definitely offer plenty of food and people will NOT go hungry, but everyone is different and some people like to sit down to meat and potatoes.

Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

The Commons in Topsfield does a top notch job!  My daughter had her wedding there last april and the cocktail hour was to die for.  We received so many compliments on the food.  Their service is outstanding.  Plus you get to bring in your own alcohol and whatever is unused can be returned.  We had 90 guests and could not get over how reasonable it was.