Venue help/ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: Venue help/ideas

Pretty much all Maggie Sottero dresses are under $2,000 and they are gorgeous! Mine is a Maggie :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

I made some more appointments and this weekend we are going to look at Castle Hill, Oceancliff, Belle Mer and the Regatta Place.  If anyone has any other Newport recommendations please let me know.  We also have an appointment for the Ritz Boston Common next week.

Has anyone had their wedding at the Lenox or been to a wedding there?  If so, how was it?? 

Thanks again everyone!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyFrappy. Show HappyFrappy's posts

I'm not sure if The Chanler was already mentioned, but it is located right at the start of the Cliff Walk.  www.thechanler.com

If you're willing to go just outside of the Newport area, there are quite a few outdoor and waterfront venues to choose from. Here are a couple in case you're interested:

The Glen Manor House in Portsmouth, RI   www.glenmanorhouse.com
    Blithewold Mansion in Bristol, RI   www.blithewold.org

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

When do you guys plan on getting engaged? It seems like A LOT of planning before you are even engaged. I would never look at dresses...but that's just me. My FI would have laughed in my face if I made appointments to look at places before he proposed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

In Response to Re: Venue help/ideas:
    [QUOTE]When do you guys plan on getting engaged? It seems like A LOT of planning before you are even engaged. I would never look at dresses...but that's just me. My FI would have laughed in my face if I made appointments to look at places before he proposed.
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

My boyfriend has already purchased the ring and I have not started looking at dresses.  If you read my previous posts all I was talking about is that I would not be spending $5K on a dress and that I thought waiting until January would be sufficient time to pick out a dress!! 

The funny thing is that I did not want to look at venues before I was engaged but due to availability and the fact that we will probably have an engagement of less than a year, we need to get location information so that when we get engaged we are ready to make a choice quickly.  I even said to him that it was a bit disappointing to me that we were not yet engaged due to limited choices on venue because of things being booked.  HE said, lets go look at places!!  NOT ME!

My boyfriend and I have been together for over seven years.  We know we are going to get married so its not like I'm being crazy psycho girlfriend trying to convince my boyfriend to look at places where I may want to get married someday.  We are practical and realistic and know that if we want a highly desireable venue for a summer 2010 wedding we better get on it. 

I'm really sorry that your fiance would laugh in your face about something like this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Summer....I am not teasing you at all. And don't worry you don't have to apologize for my FI laughing at me. I don't need to explain how great of a guy he is. I knew you would take me saying something like that the wrong way. Good luck in your search!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

[QUOTE]Summer....I am not teasing you at all. And don't worry you don't have to apologize for my FI laughing at me. I don't need to explain how great of a guy he is. I knew you would take me saying something like that the wrong way. Good luck in your search!

I'm sure that your fiance is a great guy or you wouldn't be marrying him!   

I understand that a lot of people would be very against approaching a wedding the way that we are but everyone is different right?  I mean I think that being engaged for 1.5-2 years is ridiculous but I wouldn't reply to a thread where someone is asking for advice on a summer 2012 wedding and say something like that.  I just have to wonder why you would make a statement that you knew someone was going to "take the wrong way" when it is irrelevant to the question being asked in the topic. 

Bottom line is that we just want to have all of the looking at locations and getting prices out of the way so that when it comes time to book a place (which won't happen until we are engaged) we can do it quickly.  I am not a wedding expert and in fact have never been to a wedding in Boston so I am looking to everyone here to give me tips on where to look that might fit our needs.  I think that is the point of this forum.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure if The Chanler was already mentioned, but it is located right at the start of the Cliff Walk.  www.thechanler.com If you're willing to go just outside of the Newport area, there are quite a few outdoor and waterfront venues to choose from. Here are a couple in case you're interested: The Glen Manor House in Portsmouth, RI   www.glenmanorhouse.com Blithewold Mansion in Bristol, RI   www.blithewold.org
    Posted by HappyFrappy[/QUOTE]

I love the Chanler but am very afraid of the cost.  It may be worth a look though! 

I love the other venues you have posted.  One thing that scares me about the mansions is that I would literally have to pick a vendor for everything from tables, chairs, tents, china, etc. etc. and I don't know if I really want to do all of that.  If anyone has experience with these types of places I would love to hear about it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Also if you want Newport, I would look at The Rosecliff it is gorgeous and with $50,000 you could easily pull it off. And with only 80-100 people the ballroom is the perfect setting. Really, check it out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

[QUOTE]Also if you want Newport, I would look at The Rosecliff it is gorgeous and with $50,000 you could easily pull it off. And with only 80-100 people the ballroom is the perfect setting. Really, check it out.

Per your suggestion I requested information.  I really wish that places would post their cost on their website because I thought that $50K there would not even come close to covering it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I'll go ahead and confess that we did a lot of planning before we were officially engaged.  And I even bought my dress...yep, sure did.  Went to Filene's to just "look around" and wouldn't you know it I found my dress in the first 20 minutes.  Fit like a glove and couldn't pass up the price. 

We had been talking about marriage and even the wedding date about 2 months before we were officially engaged.  It was a money thing, DH had been waiting for his job to go permanent before he made a big purchase on the ring.  We too had a short engagement, only about 8 months.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Oh I'm so glad you suggested Rosecliff!  That place is *gorgeous*!!  The grand staircase, beautiful ballroom and the lawn overlooking the Cliffwalk.  If I could afford it, I'd get married there in an instant! 

Good luck with your searching!  I can't wait to hear the official engagement story!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue help/ideas : Per your suggestion I requested information.  I really wish that places would post their cost on their website because I thought that $50K there would not even come close to covering it.
    Posted by Summer2010[/QUOTE]

I feel like I saw somewhere one time that it cost about 8k to rent the space and then you have to rent everything else, but OMG when you see that ballroom you will DIE. And the view...the view in INCREDIBLE. Here I am going to post a few pics, and you will fall in love....just wait...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

GOD this place is amazing.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Oh, great pics!  I'm dying just looking at them.  That's why they say you shouldn't look at places outside your price range...

They shot a scene in True Lies there!  Do you guys remember that movie?  There was a great tango between Tia Carrera and Arnold.  I'd totally recreate that scene!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Trex, I would have to sell my body in order to have my wedding there, haha. But I am having my wedding at a place called the Henderson House which is an English Tudor Style Mansion in Weston, MA. It is beautiful, and at the fraction of the cost, I am still getting a 'mansion' type wedding :) Not as spectacular...but I still love it :) Wish I could find pictures on the web, but I have looked and looked and I can't!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

Also, there is the Aldrich Mansion, its right outside Newport, I think in Bristol.
    I have been to a wedding at Belle Mer, and Hotel Viking in Newport. The Viking has that classy hotel feel-beautiful cocktail hour in the courtyard and the Belle Mer is exquisite and they book out Saturday nights years in advance. So keep that in mind.
    Don't forget about the Newport Yachting Club, super nice.
    The same type of Mansion feel around Boston is the Crane Estate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

[QUOTE]Trex, I would have to sell my body in order to have my wedding there, haha. But I am having my wedding at a place called the Henderson House which is an English Tudor Style Mansion in Weston, MA. It is beautiful, and at the fraction of the cost, I am still getting a 'mansion' type wedding :) Not as spectacular...but I still love it :) Wish I could find pictures on the web, but I have looked and looked and I can't!!

Haha!  Really, the Henderson House wasn't too bad budget wise?  I went to a wedding there in the spring and it was *beautiful* but I kind of assumed it was too expensive. I'll add it to my list to check out!  The place really is amazing.  They had the ceremony outside on the patio (it was a beautiful day) and took pics in front of the fountain.  I'm sure you guys will love it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Trex, no it was not bad at all....you would be surprised! They have a lot of options to choose from, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]I mean I think that being engaged for 1.5-2 years is ridiculous but I wouldn't reply to a thread where someone is asking for advice on a summer 2012 wedding and say something like that.   
    Posted by Summer2010[/QUOTE]

Fighting one rude statement with another, huh Summer?  I guess half the women on these message boards are ridiculous then, what with their 1.5 year engagements.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

We actually got engaged over the weekend!!!!  Even though I knew it was coming I was still surprised because I was 100% sure it wouldn't be for a few more weeks!

Thank you everyone for the additional suggestions.  I will have to look at all of them more closely.

We got a lot of stuff done in Newport and have already crossed Oceancliff and the Regatta Place off of our lists.  We loved Castle Hill and loved loved loved Belle Mer!  I received information from Rosecliff and it will be way too expensive so that is out of the question as well.

We have discovered though that a Saturday wedding in Newport is going to be out of the question.  We have to wait until Sundown if we choose a Saturday and most of the venues require the party to be over by midnight.  If we choose a date in July/August that won't leave us much time for the cocktail hour/pictures/reception.  So, I think we will go with a Sunday night which also saves on $$$.  If we pick a venue in Boston we will still go with a Saturday night. 
    Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm going to look at all of them over the next few days!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Congrats!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrideMeaghan. Show BrideMeaghan's posts

I second the vote for Vows, which I just went to last weekend.  I am going back again because I think I have found THE dress.  As for picking a gown, don't wait if you don't have to.  Like another poster said, in case you don't find anything off-the-rack, you will want to leave yourself enough time to place an actual order.

Good luck with everything.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue help/ideas : Fighting one rude statement with another, huh Summer?  I guess half the women on these message boards are ridiculous then, what with their 1.5 year engagements.

Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

HA!! Love it.....

yayy on being engaged...and yay on totally being *surprised*....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleSpig04. Show LittleSpig04's posts

Hi,

I would like to suggest where I got married. Not sure if you want to travel to Lake Winnepausakee, but this place doesn't do a whole lot of weddings and that's exactly what I was looking for. I have photos I can e-mail you. I picked everything from our gorgeous tent, to the tables, chairs and more! I even had a white dance floor which looked amazing! E-mail me and I'll send you pictures and video of my wedding. I am a wedding vendor so I am happy to say it was a lot different than the typical wedding. E-mail me at LABaby04@aol.com