Venue help/ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

Re: Venue help/ideas

Framerican - you are right, I shouldn't have written that and I apologize.  It was immature of me.

But you missed the point....my opinion of what you are doing or not doing doesn't matter.  I PERSONALLY wouldn't want a 2 year engagement but if you are asking about venues for your 2012 wedding my opinion on that is irrelevant.  If I'm going to post a response, my response is going to be relevant to the question/topic that you started.  Do you see what I mean?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Summer, I am going to be honest...Fra is not going to care. And don't get all defensive, but I just know for a fact, she really won't care, so you don't have to apologize to her.

Good luck in your search.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Venue help/ideas:
    [QUOTE]Hi, I would like to suggest where I got married. Not sure if you want to travel to Lake Winnepausakee, but this place doesn't do a whole lot of weddings and that's exactly what I was looking for. I have photos I can e-mail you. I picked everything from our gorgeous tent, to the tables, chairs and more! I even had a white dance floor which looked amazing! E-mail me and I'll send you pictures and video of my wedding. I am a wedding vendor so I am happy to say it was a lot different than the typical wedding. E-mail me at LABaby04@aol.com
    Posted by LittleSpig04[/QUOTE]

If you put your real email address, trolling programs will hit on it and you'll get spammed to the hilt.  Instead, if go back and write out the @ as "at" they can't find it in a search for addresses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleSpig04. Show LittleSpig04's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue help/ideas : If you put your real email address, trolling programs will hit on it and you'll get spammed to the hilt.  Instead, if go back and write out the @ as "at" they can't find it in a search for addresses.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip but I don't use this e-mail as my main address so I don't mind :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Framerican - you are right, I shouldn't have written that and I apologize.  It was immature of me. But you missed the point....my opinion of what you are doing or not doing doesn't matter.  I PERSONALLY wouldn't want a 2 year engagement but if you are asking about venues for your 2012 wedding my opinion on that is irrelevant.  If I'm going to post a response, my response is going to be relevant to the question/topic that you started.  Do you see what I mean?
    Posted by Summer2010[/QUOTE]

I gotcha.  Just wanted to point that out.  I haven't contributed to this thread for the very reasons you mentioned above - I don't have any input on venues that cost so much so my it would just be irrelevant opinions.  Good luck!  Let us know what you choose!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue help/ideas : I gotcha.  Just wanted to point that out.  I haven't contributed to this thread for the very reasons you mentioned above - I don't have any input on venues that cost so much so my it would just be irrelevant opinions.  Good luck!  Let us know what you choose!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dsysa182. Show dsysa182's posts

You should check out Tupper Manor in Beverly, Ma.  I know you want to be in the city but this gives you that "Newport" feeling. There is a 92 room Inn right onsite for your guests to stay overnight.  A friend of mine works there and she said the architect that designed the Marble House in Newport, designed Tupper Manor.  All windows, ocean views, beach access... check it out. It's beautiful! I had my shower there a month ago!  www.wyliecenter.com

Good Luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

We actually put a hold on July 4, 2010 at Belle Mer.  I know some people have had problems with Longwood so I am going to make sure to review the contract very carefully.  I'm a lawyer so I'm hoping that this helps me make sure that we have everything covered before signing. 

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.  We are very excited for our holiday weekend wedding!  A lot of our guests are from out of town so having a long weekend for this will be really nice. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shoelover88. Show shoelover88's posts

I got married last year at the Fairmont Copley Plaza and it was wonderful, especially the service there. We liked it because of the opulence and old city charm and that it included almost everything - it was also the cheapest minimum we were quoted for a hotel in Boston proper. As for the State Room, I had a friend who had a wedding in February there and she said it was awful. The service was horrible - they actually called her a liar to her face. There was no valet even though it was paid for and the lights were not turned on in front of the building so half the guests couldn't find the venue. The guest list was 250 and we were crammed in there like sardines. The menu was nothing special either.

[QUOTE]Thanks for the additional recommendations!  I did think of the Hampshire House.  Someone in my boyfriend's family got married there (I was out of town so I didn't get to go to the wedding) so I may not want the same venue but it is worth consideration! I actually don't know how I missed the Taj.  We actually have a connection to the manager of the Taj so we will definitely check them out.  I have been to the ballroom there before and it is very traditional.  As much as I think these ballrooms and also the one at the Fairmont Copley Plaza are beautiful, they are very "old school" and ornate and I dont know if that is the look I prefer.  I like the State Room because of its simplicity and modern look. 
    Posted by Summer2010[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Shoe that is awful about the State Room! So bascialy all you pay for is what? The view?? I would be so pissed!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

Rosecliff in Newport is awesome! We were going to go with them, but decided not to because of the short rental period (four hours), and the late starting time (7pm) why get such a gorgeous site if it gets dark after an hour or two. They won't allow you on premise until 30 minutes before your rental period starts, and that's just not enough time to take the pictures in the beautiful surroundings outside before it gets dark.

In addition, they tack on tons of hidden charges that you must pay if you want the wedding there, such as a required bathroom attendant fees, clean up fees (1000+ if i remember correctly), insurance fees (which i think you need to arrange for yourself). 

In the end, we went with Turner Hill in Ipswich instead, and we live in downtown Boston. Turner hill is just like Rosecliff, without the hassle! Plus vinwood is very good on their catering prices, so overall, we saved a lot more not going with Rosecliff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

[QUOTE]Rosecliff in Newport is awesome! We were going to go with them, but decided not to because of the short rental period (four hours), and the late starting time (7pm) why get such a gorgeous site if it gets dark after an hour or two. They won't allow you on premise until 30 minutes before your rental period starts, and that's just not enough time to take the pictures in the beautiful surroundings outside before it gets dark.  In addition, they tack on tons of hidden charges that you must pay if you want the wedding there, such as a required bathroom attendant fees, clean up fees (1000+ if i remember correctly), insurance fees (which i think you need to arrange for yourself).  In the end, we went with Turner Hill in Ipswich instead, and we live in downtown Boston. Turner hill is just like Rosecliff, without the hassle! Plus vinwood is very good on their catering prices, so overall, we saved a lot more not going with Rosecliff.
    Posted by Carey906[/QUOTE]

I noticed all of the hidden costs in Rosecliff as well which is why I knew in the end it would end up being way to expensive.  I'm glad that you found a beautiful location for your wedding!  I'm excited that we found a place with a beautiful view that we love. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

[QUOTE]I got married last year at the Fairmont Copley Plaza and it was wonderful, especially the service there. We liked it because of the opulence and old city charm and that it included almost everything - it was also the cheapest minimum we were quoted for a hotel in Boston proper. As for the State Room, I had a friend who had a wedding in February there and she said it was awful. The service was horrible - they actually called her a liar to her face. There was no valet even though it was paid for and the lights were not turned on in front of the building so half the guests couldn't find the venue. The guest list was 250 and we were crammed in there like sardines. The menu was nothing special either. In Response to Re: Venue help/ideas :
    Posted by shoelover88[/QUOTE]

That is awful about the State Room.  I'm very surprised to hear that the actual wedding was not good.  I have heard that people have difficulties with the State Room prior to the event but then the event always ends up being amazing.  I know of several people who have attended weddings at the State Room and they all rave afterwards about how great the service, food and atmosphere are.  I think that by reading reviews about the pre-event issues I have tried to prepare myself and protect myself by asking tons of questions up front and by putting their responses and answers into the contract whenever it seems beneficial to do so.  We'll see!