Venue in Boston for 80-100ppl

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jench11. Show jench11's posts

Venue in Boston for 80-100ppl

I'm looking for a venue in Boston that will accommodate 80-100 attendees on a Saturday in August or September. I keep running up against places with 120 or 150 minimums. I'd love to have a place that was somewhat unique too, not just a large ballroom.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Re: Venue in Boston for 80-100ppl

This may be too vague to be helpful, but I'd try historic properties, universities, musuems, and restaurants. Boston University has a pretty building ("The Castle") that holds up to 90 guests. Harvard has a club downtown that can be rented for functions. The Musuem of Science has event spaces of varying capacity. Does seem like there are fewer venues when the guest list is 60-90. FI and I looked at a lot places that seemed either too big or too small (for 100 guests). We ended up going with a restaurant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kyl23. Show Kyl23's posts

You should check out the Lenox hotel in Back Bay.  They have a small ballroom (I think the most they can hold for a wedding is 120).  The ballroom has a really cool domed roof and it's right on Boylston Street.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

The Hampshire House (Beacon Hill)
    College Club in Back Bay 
    The Harvard Clubs are lovely and open to non-Harvard folks--there is one in a downtown skyscraper and one in Back Bay brownstone. 
    MIT Faculty club is open to non-MITers. 
    You need a Harvard-affiliated (or alum) sponsor for the Harvard Faculty Club.  
    Museums: Fogg Art Museum @ Harvard, Peabody Essex Museum, Griffin Photo Museum, DeCordova Museum, Museum of Science.
    The Commandant's House in Charlestown
    The Commander's Mansion in Watertown
    The Charles Hotel, the Cambridge Hyatt, the Hyatt Harborside, the Royal Sonesta in Cambridge: all have event spaces with large lovely windows. 
    Symphony Hall does weddings.
    THe Langham Hotel has smaller event spaces, I think (but not sure).

What kind of vibe are you looking for? And how close to Boston (or only in the city)?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

The Lenox only holds 130, so that might work....
    Oh, oops, that was already mentioned...

The Exchange Conference Center on the waterfront...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jench11. Show jench11's posts

In Response to Re: Venue in Boston for 80-100ppl:
    The Hampshire House (Beacon Hill) College Club in Back Bay  The Harvard Clubs are lovely and open to non-Harvard folks--there is one in a downtown skyscraper and one in Back Bay brownstone.  MIT Faculty club is open to non-MITers.  You need a Harvard-affiliated (or alum) sponsor for the Harvard Faculty Club.   Museums: Fogg Art Museum @ Harvard, Peabody Essex Museum, Griffin Photo Museum, DeCordova Museum, Museum of Science. The Commandant's House in Charlestown The Commander's Mansion in Watertown The Charles Hotel, the Cambridge Hyatt, the Hyatt Harborside, the Royal Sonesta in Cambridge: all have event spaces with large lovely windows.  Symphony Hall does weddings. THe Langham Hotel has smaller event spaces, I think (but not sure). What kind of vibe are you looking for? And how close to Boston (or only in the city)?
    Posted by jasmine09

This is great! I'm not sure about the vibe per say, but I guess I'd like something that has a lot of character, but is still classy and somewhat modern. It doesn't have to be in the city, close by would be fine too. A room with a lot of light and windows would be awesome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

The State Room has two *smaller* rooms that could hold 80-100 people. With floor to ceiling windows, there is plenty of light :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Wayside Inn in Sudbury is a historic landmark and is perfect for that size wedding.  We had ours of 80 people there and it was perfect for what we wanted - elegant, formal New England.  It's not Boston proper, but not far.  And, as a bonus, it's a non-profit because it's an official MA landmark so they can't overcharge.

www.wayside.org

P.S.   Oops, just read you want something modern.  This is NOT the venue for you!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScooterSM. Show ScooterSM's posts

The Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center is another option...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mariya01. Show mariya01's posts

Try the Henderson House in Weston. We are getting married there with about 70 people, but I think their max is about 120 so it would be perfect for your number of people. Its a mansion owner by Northeastern, really nice and the grounds are beautiful. We met with our photographer there and he couldnt stop talking about all the great ideas he had for pics.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from meanbean220. Show meanbean220's posts

We got married in June at Upstairs on the Square in Cambridge, and have nothing but the greatest things to say about that place!  Our total count was just under 100, and I believe their maximum is 120.  It is definitely a unique space (lots of bright colors and animal prints, and if you are in the Soiree Room, it feels like you're dining in a treehouse!), and the food and service are top notch! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

There was a restaurant that got mentioned a few times... It's right in Downtown Crossing, but I forget the name.  Venalia?  Vidalia?  Anyone know what I'm talking about??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jench11. Show jench11's posts

There was a restaurant that got mentioned a few times... It's right in Downtown Crossing, but I forget the name.  Venalia?  Vidalia?  Anyone know what I'm talking about??
    Posted by framerican51008

I was looking at L'Andana in Burlington, is that what you mean? I just can't tell if it is big enough for dancing too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jench11. Show jench11's posts

Try the Henderson House in Weston. We are getting married there with about 70 people, but I think their max is about 120 so it would be perfect for your number of people. Its a mansion owner by Northeastern, really nice and the grounds are beautiful. We met with our photographer there and he couldnt stop talking about all the great ideas he had for pics.
    Posted by mariya01

I just went to check this place out and I thought the grounds were beautiful, but was a little concerned that the dancing and dinner areas were split up. I am still considering it though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you can get search to work for you, good luck with that, there was a thread about a year back on that issue of the dancing and dinner areas being split up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Posted by framerican51008

Ooh, yeah, Fram!  Vinalia.  I worked at 101 Arch several years ago and went there somewhat regularly.  Great place, but I just looked for its site, and it looks like Vinalia closed.  :(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I'll second, or third, the Museum of Science. I got married there outside 2 summers ago. We had 200 ppl and had too many ppl to fit into the ballroom upstairs.  The ballroom has floor to ceiling windows and has a great view of the city. The food was excellent.  If you are looking for something with a great view but not the prices of places like the upscale hotels/state room, the MOS might work! good luck! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

The New England Aquarium is available for events. I had my wedding in the main exhibit hall, but if you want something smaller you can rent their west wing or the pier in the back. The food is really great and the prices are surprisingly reasonable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I know the Vinalia in Downtown Boston has been undergoing renovations.  It was supposed to reopen this past spring, but I don't believe it has...

are you looking within City of Boston limits only?  or are you willing to travel outside of the city? if so, how far?   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jench11. Show jench11's posts

I know the Vinalia in Downtown Boston has been undergoing renovations.  It was supposed to reopen this past spring, but I don't believe it has... are you looking within City of Boston limits only?  or are you willing to travel outside of the city? if so, how far?   
    Posted by laryan

We were originally thinking in the city, but I think we'd be willing to look as far out as an hour from the city. Our guests are sort of equally dispersed between NH, MA and CT.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

We got married in June at Upstairs on the Square in Cambridge, and have nothing but the greatest things to say about that place! 
    Posted by meanbean220

I am so relieved/happy to hear that since that's where my wedding reception will be next June!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

a couple of ideas...Holiday Inn in Government Center....great views of the Charles.  there's a good chance your relatives & friends may be driving...you may also want to consider the "128 Belt" of waltham/lexington/dedham...or even Phillips Old Colony House in Dorchester, right off the expressway

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from leila-k. Show leila-k's posts

In Response to Venue in Boston for 80-100ppl:
    You may also want to try the Algonquin club on Commonwealth Avenue.  They are a private club but rent out their event space to the public.  It is an interesting space, I definitely recommend you take a look.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

In Response to Venue in Boston for 80-100ppl : You may also want to try the Algonquin club on Commonwealth Avenue.  They are a private club but rent out their event space to the public.  It is an interesting space, I definitely recommend you take a look.
    Posted by leila-k

I believe you have to be a member or sponsored by a member oft he Algonquin Club in order to rent space there...  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

You actually don't need to be a member of the Algonquin Club.  We looked there.  Very pretty space but the coordinator at the time was odd.  I think it would perfect for that sized wedding.

Sections
Shortcuts