VFW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

VFW

So as some of you may know, we're trying to keep our wedding expenses very low, max $8k for EVERYTHING!  My parents got married at the VFW in Ipswich, so I've been thinking about going along that route.  Do any of you have ideas on how to make a VFW hall a little more fancy?  I haven't gone on any venue tours yet, but all I can picture is faux wood panelled walls and industrial tiled floors!  Now I like the draped fabric look, but imagine that would be a little pricey and no godawful crepe garland!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: VFW

I think lighting does a lot to warm up a cold space, and those halls are known for the long florescent bulbs.  Maybe find out their policy on candles?  I'm thinking that if you have hurricanes (Christmas Tree Shop?) with tapers or tall pillars the light would be fairly high (instead of tea lights, for instance) and would give a warm glow to the room that would compliment any other decor ideas you implement.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Have you visited it yet?  Many of these places have had facelifts over the past few years and they aren't the cheap paneled, poorly lit places you may remember from when you were a kid. 

You can probably rent potted trees and larger potted plants from a florist or nursery if you need to soften up the room.  But I'd wait and see what the place actually looks like before you worry about it. It may look fantastic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I agree with Alfie -- yes, some are hideous from the 70s, but many are quite nice.   As these fraternal org's membership dwindles, they need to make more money from functions, so they are keeping them up. 

I've been to functions at the Elks in Lexington and it's beautiful. 

As far as decorations go,  I wouldn't worry too much.  When the tables are all set up with linens and dishes, it will really make the room look different than a stark room with bare tables.   One friend of ours donated some "rent a ficus" that were decorated with white xmas lights.  We put 3 at the edge of the dance floor and one each on the outdoor areas, and it really jazzed it up.  I also got some sparkly organza table overlays for about $300.  Finally, we put tea candles on mirror tiles ($1.50 each at Home Depot, I have a leftover box you can have) with a small flower centerpiece and it looked great. 

Have fun! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

All very good points.  I know I'm making myself worry over silly details that may be completely irrelevant.  I've spoken to some brides who say they wished they rented a VFW hall or the like instead of a fancy venue, both to save costs and because it's not the hall that makes the party, it's the people.

When you were planning your wedding, did you imagine what the reception would look like before you went venue hunting?  I can't picture anything, even though I have a billion ideas of the little things I want to create.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

Hi,

I'm not sure how expensive it is, but my cousin got married at the elks club on bass rock in gloucester, if that's not too far up for you. the room was really plain, but it's full of windows and right on the water, so you could definitely dress it up and then the view itself is priceless. just an idea--i was surprised at just how nice it was!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

In Response to Re: VFW:
    [QUOTE]Hi, I'm not sure how expensive it is, but my cousin got married at the elks club on bass rock in gloucester, if that's not too far up for you. the room was really plain, but it's full of windows and right on the water, so you could definitely dress it up and then the view itself is priceless. just an idea--i was surprised at just how nice it was!
    Posted by Wedin2010[/QUOTE]

The Elks is gorgeous, I grew up in Rockport and all of my family is in Gloucester, so I've been there many times.  It's $1.5k Friday, $3k Saturday and $2k Sunday.  I always just dismissed it as too expensive, though.  I don't know, maybe I should look into that one more. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I love the Elks in Gloucester too but it's not as inexpensive as other Elks places.. probably due to the view and it is fairly redone/new.  It books soo far in advance..  I remember my friend looking a year in advance and she asked for any Saturday in May, June, or August and they were booked for all.  She really wanted a Saturday so we moved on.  I was going to look there if we had chosen a summer date - I think it's gorgeous. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

pipe and drape isn't too expensive. if it does turn out to be paneling, just one draped wall can really do wonders to soften up a room's look.

there's also backdrops like this:
    http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=70/4340&prodCatId=388705&mode=Browsing&erec=5&Ipp=16&No=16&Ne=90000&sp=true&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&N=388705&tabId=1&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&sd=Design-A-Room+Pirate+Ocean+Background

I know they look cheesy online, but in person it really can totally change the look of a room. And they have them in lots of different designs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

If you have a choice, go for higher ceilings and/or windows to avoid the church-basement look!  :)  

Our venue had other things going for it that enabled me to overlook the somewhat dated decor.  I actually brought in a friend who's a decorator to look at the place and give me some suggestions and he said, it's fine the way it is.  He's the friend who had a friend who lent us the ficus trees.

I swear, unless it's dirty or has gross carpeting or something really negative, it really doesn't matter what the hall looks like.  Your smile will light up the room!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RisaKPurr. Show RisaKPurr's posts

Not sure if they're allowed at your venue, but definitely go with lots and lots of candles.  Different shaped candles - tall ones, short ones, etc.  Our budget is similar to yours ($10 K) and we are going to do up our reception with tons of candles (we are getting married in a tent on my parent's property).  I've already cleaned out the Michael's near to me and the one near to my mom, and I'm just getting started.  If you can catch some sales or liquidations, candles can be realy inexpensive.  GL with everything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Hi Teeny!  When I got married, my mom suggested a certain VFW to me, and I had the same mindset as you.  I didn't want wood paneling on the walls and tile floors.  She finally talked me into going to look at the venue, and I was SHOCKED.  It was so much nicer than some of the really expensive venues we looked at!  Gorgeous hardwood floors, freshly painted white walls, and fantastic lighting.  It had just been renovated a few years ago.  I fell in love with the place and booked it right away.  We paid $425 total which included a 5 hour room rental, 2 bartenders, and full use of the kitchen and coolers.

Like the other posters said, take a look at a few VFWs and you may be surprised!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Cos, that's just what I'm picturing, a church basement!! lol

and Pink, I love the look of drapes, but I guess I'll have to shop around for prices if they're needed, and I do like the backgrounds, maybe that's how I'll get my ocean view!  I want to set up a "photo booth" guest book from scratch, instead of renting one, so that would be a fun way to have a photo background, while covering unsightly decor.  I was just thinking of using a sheet or something.

Sections
Shortcuts