We need to boycott Hyatt hotels

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

We need to boycott Hyatt hotels

If you are considering using Hyatt hotels for anything to do with your wedding, I hope you will decide not to do so.

If you have already booked at Hyatt -- guest room blocks or even your reception -- I hope you would consider changing your plans.

This article explains that the 3 Hyatts in Boston and Cambridge told their housekeepers to train new people who would be providing coverage for staff vacations.  Then, they laid off all the housekeepers later that day.

Many companies have chosen to outsource some aspects of their business, but for Hyatt to outright lie to their long-term employees, have them train their replacements, and then lay them off at the end of the day is just plain despicable and should not be tolerated.

I hope you'll also consider writing letters to their corporate headquarters.  If you are a meeting planner or are responsible for making travel arrangements, even if just for yourself, be sure to mention that, too. 

Thanks for listening. 

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/09/17/housekeepers_lose_hyatt_jobs_to_outsourcing/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: We need to boycott Hyatt hotels

I hope this makes the national news and Hyatt goes down.  It's a tall order, but I can't imagine anyone giving them business after finding this out.   Thanks for the heads up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Mark S. Hoplamazian
    President and CEO
    Hyatt Hotels Corporation
    Hyatt Centeer
    71 South Wacker Drive
    Chicago IL  60606

in case you have 3 minutes to send a letter saying that you don't like the way they treated their staff. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ready, aim, fire!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I  know, I just read that article.  Awful.  I'll never stay there again and I won't book any of our clients there either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

In Response to We need to boycott Hyatt hotels:
    If you are considering using Hyatt hotels for anything to do with your wedding, I hope you will decide not to do so. If you have already booked at Hyatt -- guest room blocks or even your reception -- I hope you would consider changing your plans. This article explains that the 3 Hyatts in Boston and Cambridge told their housekeepers to train new people who would be providing coverage for staff vacations.  Then, they laid off all the housekeepers later that day. Many companies have chosen to outsource some aspects of their business, but for Hyatt to outright lie to their long-term employees, have them train their replacements, and then lay them off at the end of the day is just plain despicable and should not be tolerated. I hope you'll also consider writing letters to their corporate headquarters.  If you are a meeting planner or are responsible for making travel arrangements, even if just for yourself, be sure to mention that, too.  Thanks for listening.  http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/09/17/housekeepers_lose_hyatt_jobs_to_outsourcing/
    Posted by cosmogirl

I'm sorry, but isn't this true of so many companies?  I know this of my fiance's company and my own, that I've seen people cross-train their peers to make sure that everyone knows each other's jobs, etc.  Then, they'll get laid off and bring in new blood or no new blood at all.

All I'm saying is that it's sometimes easier to outsource for some companies being that they don't have to pay insurance, dental, health, or 401k for their employees.  They just have to pay their hourly rate. 

In the market we're in right now, I don't think anyone's safe from getting laid off.  That being said, I'm going to be out of the office for my wedding/honeymoon for nearly 4 weeks.  Do you think I'm not fearful that I might not have a job here waiting for me when I get back?  All I'm saying is that I'm making sure all my "big jobs/projects" are completed before I leave, so no one has any major work of mine to do when I get back.  Just basic adhoc stuff.  That gives me peace knowing that I'll have a job to jump right back into when I get back from honeymoon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dear Mr. Hoplamazian:

I am dismayed to learn from the Boston Globe article, http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/09/17/housekeepers_lose_hyatt_jobs_to_outsourcing/, of your foul display of corporate greed by laying off your entire Boston housekeeping staff.  Not only did you take the easy way out in salvaging some of your bottom line by outsourcing, but you were a lying weasel in the process by misleading your faithful staff in the last hours of their employment.

Your employees are the lifeblood of your business.  You have drained much of it.  While it might look on paper to be a fiscal improvement I believe it will prove to be otherwise.  Guests sense the overall vibe of a hotel which is most certainly abysmal for your decision.  Ironically for your bottom line, emotion drives hotel choice more than convenience, good food, or comfortable beds.

If what I read in the article is true, I will never stay at a Hyatt or Hyatt-owned hotel again and will encourage everyone I know to boycott you as well.

Sincerely,
    kargiver

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How's that?

I know times are tough, but other hotels managed to make do some other way.  This was the easiest thing to do, not the only solution.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Please don't get me wrong anyone.  I think what was done was absolutely terrible, and I really feel for the 100 employees that were laid off.  That's truly an awful thing.

It just happens so much.  So many people are still losing their jobs left and right. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

As of right now, there is NO job security for anyone.  For larger corporations, outsourcing is just cheaper for them.  So, even though they're losing valuable and faithful employees, all they're thinking about is the bottom line.  It's unfortunate, but true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I agree with Goodness - this is really terrbile, however, it is the climate right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I also have to agree with Goodness. Large companies like Hyatt have an obligation to their stockholders to do whatever they can to keep the business profitable, and now when less and less people are booking events and staying in hotels, things like this are unfortunate but necessary. The savings will also likely be passed along to their customers in the way of lower rates, in hopes that it will drive up business.

That said, I feel terrible for the housekeepers out of work, and I hope that the story in the Globe motivates some of the newer hotels in Boston to hire these folks.

All boycotting them will do is put more hard-working Hyatt employees out of work, the CEOs and such already have plenty of money stashed away, boycotting Hyatt won't affect the owners in the least.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But outsourcing often costs more than it saves.  The gov't outsourced a good part of the clearance process, and clearances started taking 2 - 3 years to obtain rather than the 6 months it did beforehand.  Employees that do work for a company that isn't theirs aren't invested in the quality, generally speaking.  It bites companies in the buttt.  There are other ways to cut costs that don't end up hurting the bottom line like outsourcing - it's all very ironic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I don't agree with that, kar.  My fiance is a consultant.  So, when companies outsource, they go to him.  He's so smart, and so good at his craft that he's definitely worth it.  As far as dental and health, he's on my insurance, and he's set up a 401k account on his own.  He pays all his own taxes, which are actually MORE than a regular employee has to pay. 

Yes, he costs a bit more, but he's "cheaper" for the companies than a regular employee with the insurance, liabilities, medical, etc. 

All I can say, is that I'm thankful that his company outsources.  He has a job because of that.

Not just that, but he values his job, and they value him, too.  He really takes pride in the projects he's assigned to, and they trust him as if he were a regular salaried employee.  They know what a dedicated "employee" he is, and he's built real relationships and contacts through this particular job. 

Being self-employeed isn't easy, either.  There's no way for them to tell if they'll have a job the next day.  It's VERY easy to cut a consultant/contractor. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

At Sephora the stores that outsourced the cleaning were much cleaner than the stores that did not, and it was cheaper for them because of the reasons Goodness stated, no health insurance or 401k or pain time off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I guess it depends on the outsourcing company.  At least it works in come cases.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

In Response to Re: We need to boycott Hyatt hotels:
    All I'm saying is that it's sometimes easier to outsource for some companies being that they don't have to pay insurance, dental, health, or 401k for their employees.  They just have to pay their hourly rate. 
    Posted by Goodness1

Forgive my ignorance, but in this situation, who DOES pay the health and dental insurance, 401K, etc. for these employees?  Is it the company through which they were contracted?  Surely the employees will not be able to afford insurance/contributions on their own being paid $8/hr. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

But, even with the employees who are making $8/hour, they might still be a full-time employee.  After completing a certain amount of hours per week, you are considered a full-time employee and you're allowed certain benefits (health/dental, 401k, paid time off, etc). 

Just because they're making $8/hour or whatever, doesn't mean they aren't contributing something to their insurance. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

usually, and the hotel doesn't pay the employees, the cleaning company does.
    Because the cleaning company is based in Georgia, I believe they only have to provide health and 401k up to that state's standards, not massachusetts.
    When DH worked for Saks, since the HQ was in Alabama, they only offered Alabama-based insurance plans, which were cheaper becausr they had fewer mental health benefits and the like.

In Response to Re: We need to boycott Hyatt hotels : Forgive my ignorance, but in this situation, who DOES pay the health and dental insurance, 401K, etc. for these employees?  Is it the company through which they were contracted?  Surely the employees will not be able to afford insurance/contributions on their own being paid $8/hr. 
    Posted by mezzogal1124

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

Just because they're making $8/hour or whatever, doesn't mean they aren't contributing something to their insurance. 
    Posted by Goodness1

Oh I know that, I should have been clearer with my wording.  Thanks for clarifying, though.

The worst part is the lying to the laid-off employees' faces. I guess I'm really naive, but it strikes me as absolutely inexcusable that a company would behave this way.  Laying someone off is one thing, but lying is another.

And good luck trying to keep staff members loyal who are making $8/hr before taxes with the high cost of living in the Boston area (maybe that works in Georgia, but not so much up here) from feeling desperate enough to steal from the guests.  I know I sound extremely cynical, but I just wonder about that. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree, it wasn't right to lie. HSS or Hyatt should have found a way to train the new housekeepers without involveing the old staff. I'm surprised that lying like that doesn't open them up to any legal action.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I've been with the same firm for almost 4 years now.  The first 2 1/2 years, I was with one department.  My manager was leaving that department to go to another department, and I was told that I had an "option" of staying with my current dept or going with him. 

I didn't know anything about the "new" dept, so I didn't want to leave my current.  Although, I absolutely hated my job and the group, I didn't want to leave it as it was what was familiar to me, and the new dept wasn't. 

My supervisor told me I had a choice 4 months before the move.  I could stay or go.  My "choice", she said.  Easy enough, I decided to stay.  The 2 weeks before the move, I was told I didn't have a choice.  "You have to go, no matter what, you have no choice", she (my supervisor) said. 

That being said, I was lied to.  I was told something, but the whole time, I never had a choice/option.  Looking back, I can see it now.  They were just trying to keep me quiet and help me feel at ease that nothing was going to change, when all the while, everything was about to change. 

It was a tough pill to swallow, I have to say.  I was so scared of the new department and team (I knew nothing about it), but now... I couldn't be happier.  I LOVE my job.  I haven't been able to say that in 12 years!!  So, it worked out, for me, but I can see how it might not work for others (being lied to). 

I'm just saying that it happens everywhere.  Although, I don't agree with what the Hyatt did with regards to lying to their employees and making them believe something that was totally different than what it was, but I'm sorry, it happens everywhere and it happens all the time. 

Does anyone EVER know if your employer is always being honest with you? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hey Goodness, Your company allows you to cover FI on your insurance??  That's great!  Pretty rare.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Hey Goodness, Your company allows you to cover FI on your insurance??  That's great!  Pretty rare.
    Posted by framerican51008

Yes.  He has been on my health insurance for nearly 2 years now.  We had to go through tons of paperwork, and prove that we are in a relationship, that we live together, and have bills together.  After getting all the paperwork to them, getting it notarized, he got on.  They take out "imputted income", which is pre-tax money, along with them taking additional money out as we are in a "domestic relationship".

I can't wait until I get to show them the marriage certificate and they no longer take out the "imputted income", which ends up being a lot of money per paycheck.  That'll be a nice chunk of cash to get back in my paycheck.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

But being told you're training your relief staff and then finding out they're relieving you of your job seems like a more dramatic lie than the illusion of choice.
    I know a lot of employers that lie to employees to give them the illusion of choice. like "you can work fewer days or just fewer hours a day" when either choice has the same result: a smaller paycheck.

Sections
Shortcuts