Wedding Venue Opinions: Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center and Norton's Woods

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JanuaryGirl. Show JanuaryGirl's posts

Wedding Venue Opinions: Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center and Norton's Woods

I am just looking to hear from anyone who has attended or held a wedding at either the Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center or Norton's Woods in Cambridge.

We looked at both this weekend and when at the CMAC, the woman showing us around took us to the outdoor garden/courtyard.  She was explaining how she always advises couples to have the set-up with a diagonal aisle because, (she then pointed to a HUGE building a few blocks away that can see into the courtyard) and explained it was a prison.  She mentioned that when couples opted to be in the center of the courtyard, prisoners have been known to heckle them and scream obscene things.  She seemed to think the diagonal offered some seclusion because of trees.

To me this was a dealbreaker but my fiancée thinks it probably never happens so I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this, and also a review of the space overall.

We also looked at Norton's Woods which was great but the space seemed a little cold and we were not crazy about the setup/division of the dining space.  Would love to hear some feedback about this space as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Wedding Venue Opinions: Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center and Norton's Woods

Hi January,  I can't offer much input as I have never been to CMAC, but it has been mentioned on these boards MANY times and no one has ever said there was a problem with prisoners.  I have never even heard about the prison being nearby.  I was interested in it when we first got engaged so I paid attention to posts about it.  Hopefully someone with first hand experience can ease your mind!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

Re: Wedding Venue Opinions: Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center and Norton's Woods

I'm actually booked there for next June, and she told us the same thing.  She added that they call over to the prison on the day of weddings and ask the sheriff to make sure the windows are closed, to minimize the possibility of this happening.  She said they have a great relationship with the sheriff, and he does everything in his power to prevent this from happening!  I'm choosing to believe her =).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I've been to a non-wedding event there. I wouldn't have known there was a prison nearby if so many people hadn't pointed it out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Been to a wedding at CMAC and other events and never heard any noise from the prison.  At the wedding I remember thinking that the courtyard was so peaceful you would never know you were smack in the middle of a busy traffic / city area. 

Sections
Shortcuts