Westin in Waltham; really starting to bug me..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

Westin in Waltham; really starting to bug me..

This is a little vent. But, I got engaged on Christmas Day, so I am just now starting to look at venues. We need a rather large one, something that will hold about 230 people. I have called the Westin in Waltham about 3 times and they still have not gotten back to me. Should I just move on?

I love Westins, and with our large guest list, I don't think we will be able to afford something in Boston, so this seemed like a great compromise.

*sigh*

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Westin in Waltham; really starting to bug me..

Hi Elm,

I looked into the Westin Waltham too and they were *wicked* annoying.  I would call and they'd tell me they would email me their standard package, but then I'd wait and never get it (even after she told me she was "emailing it right now"!).  I had to ask for it 4 times before they actually sent it.  I was so annoyed with them, I doubt I would have booked htem even if I could have afforded it.

I have their standard package in email if you want it, I can email it to you.

PS.  Congrats on the engagement!

ETA:  Also, you are not the first bride to complain about them.  I have seen a few complaints and sent the package to a few people who couldn't get it from the hotel!  I have heard their ballroom is gorgeous, but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the stress of their unresponsiveness.

PS.  Let us know what type of venue you are lookign for and I bet we can come up with a bunch of suggestions!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Elm, that's unacceptable IMO, but if you really want the venue you just have to decide if you want to deal with their poor responsiveness.  Bottom line, if you choose them, the wedding will come together but with added aggrevation so you have to decide how important that is to you. 

Not sure how helpful this is, but I really can't answer your "should I move on" question - it's totally personal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

I went to a wedding there once. It was gorgeous.  However I agree with you Kar.  They should be calling you back.  IMO, if they really want the business they will make the effort (not to discourage you).  But a venue should be bending over backwards trying to convince you that their space is the best for you. 

Where else are you looking? How far outside of boston are you willing to look?  I looked at a ton of places and could give a few good places to check out that were nice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I have been to 3 weddings there, in 1.

The brides were tear their hair out frustrated until they made in person appts.  They went there, they had, as asked for, almost 2 hours to work out details so they did not have to deal with phone call backs.  Contracts were detailed, and the second meeting they were allowed to put in any specifics  missed by them or venue before,  and on wedding day every specific even if not in Westin's usual package,  was delivered, as promised, and the weddings were perfect.

But I truly do not know, if it is their contact system which routes all inquiries (not just reservations) to a regional system, or what.

Early contact problems must lose them business.  Final great results give them a rep which gets them more.  Get in their face, go in person and say to someone - what day do I come back and meet with you.

Or go elsewhere.

So frustrating.  But their location - by highway, and especially for RI and NH Manchester airports with easier travel times and some cheaper flights,  not just Logan, gives people reasons to look seriously.    Their prices are competitive, for 175 plus especially.   Anyone who has been to a wedding that got planned in spite of them, always raves.  While saying - of course, we almost had it some where else because they don't return calls!

Somehow, like rich people who never pay their tailor and pay 10% under minimum wage for their nanny,  this kind of business practice ticks me off.  But they do many excellent weddings, are hospitable to people of many cultures, have good spaces and packages.   Grr.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Ha!  That's exactly what they did to me!  Had to call her SO many times before she ACTUALLY emailed it.  How hard is it to send a quick email?  SO ANNOYING!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Elm, sounds like your experience there is not only typical but something you can't deal with yourself.  OK, I say cross it off your list...if you haven't already. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

honestly, I think you should move on as it sounds like they don't want your business.  then to have the same complaint from several other brides to be???

in this economy you think they'd want your business, and they'd be kissin your butt wanting you to book with them....  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I know some people who have wanted a particular venue because of a certain ambience,  or location,  or affilliated vendors included in packages,  and the party planning meant putting up with snottinness,  or slow response,  other truly annoying stuff. 

My takes is generally close to Laryan and others-  If you are not dying for this 1 place, no one else will do, start looking elsewhere.  Venues that always turned away business are coming up with unfilled holes in their schedules, and ought to be as accomodating and responsive as can be.  If they are not, do you want the grief and frustration their bad attitude brings?

Either find another place, or go to the Hotel management, which pours money into ads to attract customers, and ask them why their events coordinators blow off lucrative business because they never return a phone call or send out info when they say they will.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

You might want to Look into the Newton Marriott, several brides on this forum had their weddings there and were very happy with the manager and the venue.

And, of course, the Norwood Sheraton Four Points that gets rave reviews from brides and guests! 

Good luck! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

I had the same problems with the Westin and eventually gave up on them.  We ended up going with the Sheraton in Framingham and it was great.  They were easy to work with and the whole hotel has just been redone.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Elm, I commented on your other post...  We have hte same date and we PASSED on the Four Points in Norwood.   You're welcome.  LOL!

Honestly, we liked Mindy and we were looking at Zachariah's, but we really didn't want a hotel for a venue.  Sound like it worked out for both of us.  :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Don't freak out.....you have plenty of time!  Congratulations on booking such a nice venue! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from alisonf143. Show alisonf143's posts

I had the same experience with the Westin in Waltham and decided there was no way they were getting our business!  Went with the Bedford Glen (a Doubletree) in Bedford, MA and could not have been happier!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

My friend did, too! She said she would call and the phone would just ring and ring...It's a shame, because they have great packages!