Winter Wedding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CourtM. Show CourtM's posts

Winter Wedding

I'm very recently engaged (it happened on Monday!!) so I'm just getting started on my planning. I've been a longtime lurker on these boards and know I will get great advice from you ladies.

I tried to look for this topic using the BDC search tool but didn't find what I was looking for. Has anyone had an early December/Holiday-time wedding? What were the pros and cons? Would you like the idea of attending a wedding during the Holiday season?

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Winter Wedding

My thoughts are:

1. As a bride, I would be a nervous wreck worrying about a potential blizzard that could ruin everything.

2. If you have a lot of people who will be driving a fair distance and/or flying, see #1

If you're planning a smallish wedding and all your guests are local, then that's more do-able. Get wedding insurance in case you have to cancel because of the weather.....www.wedsafe.com

3. I'm busy and broke in December. I'd much rather go to a wedding after the holidays.

Just my two cents.

P.S. You'll never get your "newly-engaged" status back. Stop the wedding planning and just enjoy your FI for a little while. Congrats and best wishes!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter Wedding

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WALLYDEC29. Show WALLYDEC29's posts

Winter Wedding

I had my wedding the saturday between christmas and NYE. I had always wanted a wintertime wedding. The colors were so beautiful and there is such a warm fun loving feeling surrounding the holiday months. I was a little leary though beacuse it can also be so hectic for people, so that is why we opted to do it after christmas. I had so many people looking forward to my wedding and telling me how excited they were to get together and celebrate. There are going to be some who will not be able to make it, but I think that happens no matter what time of year you decide to get married. There is just so much love and fun to be had at the end of the year I wouldn't have changed a thing.... Also, I found all the venues I looked at to be easy to book. Some vendors will give you a deal in those months, not all of them, but some consider it off season.. Good luck!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter Wedding

cosmo, as usual, has great points. I'd also be nervous about those exact things.

However, on the flip side, bad weather can happen any time in NE. My brother got married in December a few years ago in NH. It was gorgeous. Christmas decorations mingeled with the wedding flowers...stunning. Snow does happen. However, show stopping, huge blizzards that stop life don't happen that often.

Bottom line, if you can handle the risk of a snow storm and having out of town guests stranded in Chicago, go for it. If it will ruin your engagement to think about that possibility, choose November. Much less chance of snow and still cool. We're getting married the 9th of November this year. Average temps are in the low 50s. Of course, it could snow instead, but probably not a blizzard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reversecurve. Show reversecurve's posts

Winter Wedding

First of all, congratulations on your engagement!
    My daughter had a winter wedding two years ago - the 2nd Saturday in December. The holidays are her favorite time of year and it was the wedding she had always wanted. Red and green theme, 15 foot Christmas tree, gorgeous greenery and lots of candlelight.
    Don't worry about people being too busy. As the veteran of several weddings (MOB, MOG, guest, etc), I can assure you there are always going to be conflicts, no matter what date you pick. Make sure you send out STD's well in advance, because folks are busy around the holidays, but everyone who cares about you will make the effort to be there.
    My daughter wound up with an early December blizzard the day before her wedding, so it certainly wasn't stress free. But we had very few out of town guests and everyone made it to the wedding. Plus the new snow certainly gave the whole holiday theme a big boost.
    If it's what you've always wanted and you can deal with the worry of snow, I would certainly encourage you to go for it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kb5172. Show kb5172's posts

Winter Wedding

I'm having my wedding on January 3rd. I too was worried about the weather factor, but I was willing to take the risk.

Before we booked the date we did talk to family members and asked if that date would be an inconvenience to any of them. If some "major players" couldn't be there, then we would have reconsidered. However, all close friends and family loved the idea. We also don't have too many people who would have to fly in, so that was a plus. Those who do have to fly in have already booked their flights (except my father, he's a procrastinator, and a whole other story, ugh!)

We also found that we did get several "off season" discounts which was awesome!

Finally, what I also think helps is if you send out save the date invites as far in advance as possible. Since the holiday's are such a busy time of year for people, the save the date will give them time to plan ahead if they wanted to come to the wedding.

Congratulations and good luck!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LawyersInLove. Show LawyersInLove's posts

Winter Wedding

We chose 12/29/07 after talking with our friends and family and everyone responded positively. It does probably depend on timing - I would not have considered it the week before, for example, because I know how busy/broke I am pre-christmas. With NYE on a Monday night, some of our guests said they used our Satuday night wedding as their big weekend celebration, so the timing was good in that respect too. People were ready to party.

Some "pros" you may find: (1) We received a Sunday/Friday rate at the Parker House in downtown Boston due to the season and the fact that it was a tough weekend for them to rent the ballroom (most corporate holiday parties were over by then); (2) King's Chapel was decorated with beautiful, still-fresh green garlands, white lights, and other items. We spent NOTHING on church flowers and it was gorgeous; (3) that week between christmas / NYE is sometimes a bore and folks are looking around to celebrate and have some fun; (4) The ballroom had big green wreaths in every window and a lovely tree in the corner with white lights and red bows and presents underneath - not too Christmas-y, just pretty and festive.

Cons: If you do not celebrate Christmas, much of the above is unhelpful, of course. Weather could be a problem, but most people will get there unless there is a rare, terrible blizzard. We had a very warm, almost balmy night on 12/29. Location is a factor: I attended a 12/30 wedding in Philly once where the reception was about an hour from the chuch on a winding road to a country club - it snowed unexpectedly and had to be cancelled due to the fear of car accidents - huge bummer.

Anyway, there's some food for thought. Congrats on your engagement! Enjoy this time - it goes by fast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhbride09. Show nhbride09's posts

Winter Wedding

Congratulations!

I'm having a winter wedding (Saturday after New Years).

The weather is definitely a concern, but since I've always dreamed of a winter wedding, I decided to not let it stress me out.

On the plus side, so many venues and vendors are available during the winter and offer incredible discounts.

In terms of the guests being busy with the holidays, I felt the complete opposite. Many people's summer weekends are filled with wedding after wedding. I think it will be a nice treat for our guest to come to our wedding when it's cold and miserable out!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhbride09. Show nhbride09's posts

Winter Wedding

oh, one more thing to add.

If you have a winter wedding, think of how nice it would be to go away on your honeymoon or anniversary to a nice warm place when it's freezing in New England!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

Winter Wedding

I've been to 2 weddings close to Christmas, 12/8/07 and 1/3/04. Both were beautiful. For the wedding in January, the church had kept up the lights and poinsettes near the alter and it was so nice. It was like getting decorations for free!

Congrats on your very new engagement =)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

Winter Wedding

I think a wedding around that time would be beautiful, and if we didn't have so many out of town guests, I would have considered it. Do you have a lot of out of town guests?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from randy07. Show randy07's posts

Winter Wedding

I went to a 12/8/07 wedding in Boston and it was fabulous. The bride said many of the decorations at the reception site (& rehearsal dinner) were already up so it saved them a lot of time & $$. She lucked out on the weather beacause the next few weekends were very snowy and she did have a lot of out of town guests.

It was far enough before Christmas not to interfere - but the whole city was decorated! There was a very light snow flurry the night before on the way from the rehearsal to the dinner, and the out of towners were so excited viewing the lights on Boston Common in the snow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CourtM. Show CourtM's posts

Winter Wedding

Thanks for all your comments...We don't have a lot of out of town guests since we are both from NH and most of our family lives in NH and MA. The only real concern have (besides of course, a major blizzard the day of) is whether or not we will miss not having outdoor pictures done. Neither my FI or myself are particularly nature-outdoorsy people so the idea of being sweaty and hot outside doesn't appeal to me, but I still worry if indoor pictures will still look nice....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter Wedding

[Quote]Thanks for all your comments...We don't have a lot of out of town guests since we are both from NH and most of our family lives in NH and MA. The only real concern have (besides of course, a major blizzard the day of) is whether or not we will miss not having outdoor pictures done. Neither my FI or myself are particularly nature-outdoorsy people so the idea of being sweaty and hot outside doesn't appeal to me, but I still worry if indoor pictures will still look nice....[/Quote]

If that's the case, the truth is that every single day of all 365 can be ruined for outdoor pictures. Go for winter if that's what you want.

ETA: Remember, though, that outside pictures will all be in the dark in December if they are being taken after 4:00. You may want a photo session earlier in the day if possible, or at the very least be sure to ask your photographer to show you outdoor evening photos in work he's done before.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kb5172. Show kb5172's posts

Winter Wedding

CourtM - You may want to consider when searching for a venue, how the interior looks for those indoor pictures. There are some lovely venues that are gorgeous inside.

Also, some photographers offer packages that include post wedding photo sessions at an outdoor location of your choice. Some call it the "wreck the dress session", but you don't have to literally wreck your dress if you don't want to. I was told that some winter brides and grooms go back in the spring and summer to get more pictures taken, she in her gown and the groom rents his tux again for one day. Some even get the wedding party to get all dressed up again for the shoot. Seems like a lot of work to me, but I hear it's popular.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Winter Wedding

The bottom line is do what you want. If folks really want to come to share in your day they will be there whenever you have it.
    As far a pictures I think the majority of folks take them inside. I agree with some of the other posters that outdoor winter pics are beautiful.
    So you are cold for a few minutes;0

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CourtM. Show CourtM's posts

Winter Wedding

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterswedding. Show Butterswedding's posts

Winter Wedding

I'm getting married this New Years Eve... I'd say 99% of the people are really excited about it. The 1 small percent said things like - "that's a Wednesday" ... my answer is - well yes it happens to be this year!

The outside photos may be a challenge, but I've decided I'll just have to be okay with that in the end.

I personally love winter weddings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anf11. Show anf11's posts

Winter Wedding

i am getting married in late november, so not winter exactly, but had some of the same concerns as you. but none of my friends or family hav expressed too much concern over it, and it was actually alot easier to book stuff as it isn't wedding season!

as others have already pointed out, if most of your guests live in the area then the weather won't be as big of an issue as if you had a lot of people coming from far distances. plus, if they live here, they are used to the cold and to the snow. ditto with the holidays - if they aren't travelling from far distances, proximity to the holidays shouldn't be a big issue either.

i have been to a few winter weddings and they have been beautiful. congratulations on your engagement and good luck with your planning!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from deadicons20003. Show deadicons20003's posts

Winter Wedding

Wow, Debbie Downer. No one is going to "no show" for the reasons you cited - other than a sudden flu, all your reasons are things that people know well in advance and can consider when they return their RSVP cards. Its not as if the wedding will be hitting anyone by surprise, particularly if the couple simply notifies everyone with a phone call or S.T.D. 4-6months in advance. People have holiday issues and college finals in the spring too. And they plan family vacations in the summers that they might have to interrupt. There are always going to be scheduling conflicts and financial worries that exist, no matter when you plan a wedding. I don't think the OP was thinking about a Christmas Eve wedding, just "holiday time."

As for weather, that can be a factor but is unlikely. Other posters have already suggested (1) wedding insurance, and (2) making sure the guest list is largely local. That should take care of it. Unless there is a rare, freakish storm, most New Englanders can handle a little inclement weather in their sleep.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CourtM. Show CourtM's posts

Winter Wedding

Whoa, sillygoose...that's an awful lot of assumptions you are making in that post. One, we are paying for our own wedding, two, we've already talked about the date with about 50% of the guest list and everyone thought it was a great date and three, I'm not a bridezilla or a stress case, so I doubt I'd go off the deep end.

I appreciate what is obviously your honest opinion, but the fact of the matter is, it's my FI and I's wedding and we are going to do all we can to plan in advance to ensure people are aware of the date (i.e. Save the dates 9 months in advance) so that all our friends and family can take part of our special day. We don't have many out of town guests (I can probably count the out-of-staters on one hand) so traveling won't be a huge concern. Also, a lot of people I've spoken to about the date think an off-season wedding is better for guests because as anyone who has been to several weddings in the summer months know, it is a huge expense during the summer. If people think my wedding is a burden then I'd probably rather not have them there......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Winter Wedding

[Quote] Yes, it would be beautiful and something that you would only see in the movies, but when the snowstorm doesn't hit, but the freezing rain does , then there is no second chance to get married the next weekend instead.
    [/Quote]

I'm confused. If it rains in the summer, do you think people just move the wedding to the next weekend? Um, it's not a picnic. It's a wedding, and it goes forward on the date scheduled no matter what the weather. So if it pours rains, or there is a hurricane, that summer or fall wedding goes forward in the rain.

People always have demands on their time and money, no matter what the season. If the bride and groom have spoken to their friends and relatives [and it appears they have], and people are okay w/ the date, then I say go for it. We did not have a winter wedding b/c all of DH's family was OOT and had to fly in to MA. Otherwise, we probably would have had a nice winter wedding too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Winter Wedding

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zissou. Show zissou's posts

Winter Wedding

I love the idea! I also just got engaged and we are thinking about a December '09 wedding.
    I love the idea of having a small wedding in an inn or B&B w/ everyone cozy inside and a big fireplace.
    I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful...congrats!

Sections
Shortcuts