Baseball is a bore

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Baseball is a bore

The one constant through all the years, Richard 101, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Richard 101. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Richard 101. People will most definitely come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Baseball is a bore

Thats the one. Always loved that quote.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Baseball is a bore

Good point, there are a couple of baseball diamonds in my neighborhood and I have yet to see a pick up game taking place, or even a game of Automatics. You might see a father with his kids, but thats about it.

You are right, everything is structured nowadays. That may be a reason why you see so many Latin players. In a pick game, you may get 10-20 at bats in a day and see countless grounders and fly balls. In a structured league, maybe you get 3-5 at bats and maybe a handful of chances in the field.

Still, baseball is so unique. The national passtime. A thinking mans game. The only sport I am aware of where the defense has the ball, there is no time limit, the dimensions of the field differ from place to place, and the object is to wind up right back where you started.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Baseball is a bore

I see a similar thing happening with the NBA where you have too many teams and a virtually meaningless regular season. Watching a regular season NBA game is akin to watching paint dry. With some exceptions, many of the players don't seem to care about the outcome. They all joke around and hug each other after the game. I would much rather watch college hockey or basketball. Although the Celts should be more competitive this year which will make things more interesting.

Hockey is more regional, and the average hockey fan doesn't require the same gimmicky marketing ploys that basketball uses to get fans interested. 24 teams is all they need..maybe even less than that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

Baseball is a bore

I'm not sure if itÆs boring or not, but itÆs definitely disgusting to look at a bunch of fat, chewing, and spitting men. -->-->The best way to determine the sport's (or any TV show) audience is commercials. The baseball is full of ED drug commercials, which tells you that majority of fans are middle aged to older men that canÆt wait to get away from their wives. ItÆs interesting; youÆd think they preferred sports like women beach volleyball-->-->

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

Baseball is a bore

"Nothing like a little spitting in HD especially if they have the tobacco chaw going. Now that's what they have HD for."

That's right. Fios HD on 60 inch plasma. Cristal clear spits

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

Baseball is a bore

have you been to a celtics game recently?

I went to a couple of games last year with clients. Not to get all old school here, but back in the 80's, in the old Garden, there was a kind of electicity in the air during a game. More hardcore/knowledgible fans. Now it is more of a spectacle and kind of an anit-spetic atmosphere.

I should point out that the old Garden was also filthy. You hard to wait 30 minutes to take a friggin leak, and the food barely qualified as edible & you had to wait in a long line for it. The seats were also pretty umcomfortable.

I guess for some of us, we want to see the game and not all the other crap. But I suppose I wouldn't mind any of it as much if the team were decent. So I am optimistic for the 2007-2008 season

Sections
Shortcuts