Cheesiest Local Commercials

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Expressway Auto commercials with the 2 flying 'tards in leotards is scarier than the Flying Monkeys from Oz. or Bob's Discount Furniture; which is worse, the claymation Patriot's commercial or the furniture they sell?

Sure there is a lot worse things going on in the world but as of right now, this is my bone of contention and wondering what local commercials bug other people.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Oh God, nooooooooooooooo! If I listed them all, who would respond?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Pretty much any of the car dealership ads are bad. And Bob's Discount Furniture is bad too. Most annoying maybe the Bernie & Phyl's ads. Especially the one where people are singing the jingle. And the Copeland Toyota ads, the guy with the brown hair and WHITE moustache.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

I know, what is with that moustache? Kind of creeps me out. Either dye the 'stache or let the hair go gray to match.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

No kidding! A little "just for men" would go far. (For the record I hate their ads too, with the sports announcers commenting on "Mr. Grey Beard")

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Probably they can't afford to hire people to come up with better ideas. And in a way, they work, because we remember them. Even if we don't like them, we remember them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

You make a very good point. It's sort of on the same level as morbid curiosity. You really don't want to watch but you can't help it. Ay yi yi. They are so awful they are forever etched in our memory. How do I erase?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Ok, so what you're saying is they are so bad, they are actually good? This truly is a world gone mad!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

on the radio....I can't change the station fast enough when that goddam 1-800-54-GIANT song comes on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

I can buy into the theory but have to wonder if they are working as far as getting people in to actually purchase the product. Speaking for myself, it has the opposite effect. I would never, ever make a purchase from any company that strives for tackiness. Cheesy, tacky commercial = cheesy, tacky product.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

They did have on air commercials - the visual was even worse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

True, yet I can't imagine any company offering a high quality product and then making a no frills low budget commercial. Imagine if Ethan Allen or Thomasville for example, made a commercial along the liens of Bob's or Bernie & Phyll's. Probably what bugs me is when Bob's Discount says they have a 6 piece SOLID MAHOGANY bedroom set for like $999. I don't think so and yet how do they get away with advertising as solid mahogany. At best, it has to be a very thin veneer so my other issue besides the cheese factor, is the potential for false claims.

My hats off to Wal-Mart for causing other retailers to lower their prices in a bid to compete. However the bottom line is that you do get what you pay for in most instances and if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Personally speaking, I tend to pay a bit more for a better brand that will last than to spend 4 times as much for several inferior versions of the same product since in the end, it ends up costing more. Of course every once in a while a consumer stumbles on a brand name, higher end item that turns out to be a lemon however the manufacturer will stand behind the product. Guess it all comes down to building the house from straw, plywood or bricks, so to speak!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Try shaking your head back and forth saying "Etch-a-Sketch". See if that helps!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

It's what they can pay for and people remember it. Can't you just picture Bernie, Phyl and the boys sitting around talking about zero int-er-est? :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I'd have to see the ad, but I know the leather sofa ones are decieving...if you notice, he says "Genuine Leather everywhere you sit, which means at best the cushions are covered in leather,but the arms and body of the sofa are pleather. I'm betting the "solid mahogany" really isn't either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Nothing wrong with cheap furniture, but deceptive advertising is a tougher one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Ah yes, the "zero" interest - yet another scam-ish deal that preys on those who can least afford to buy.

What they fail to mention or people fail to ask is about the little catch. Yes, it is zero interest, no payments, no nothing for a full year however if the person fails to make any payments beginning with the first billing cycle and continues to not make any payments until the year is up, they have to pay the interest that accrues dating back to the first statement cycle. A friend of mine almost got trapped that way at Home Depot until i told her to call back and ask questions. But you are right, not everyone can afford middle to higher end and yet everyone is entitled to have decent looking, if not well constructed furniture.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

Exactly! "Everywhere you sit" means the real leather is only under your butt and all other material is man made. And in wording it that way, they are covering their butts legally.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ennui. Show ennui's posts

That's what I am saying! A co-worker purchased a dining room set and hutch from Bob's. Within one week the table top had gouges from normal use and the hutch doors were warped. However, she purchased an insurance warranty for repairing or replacing and that covered the problem yet if it was of any quality at all, the company would not have to offer the added insurance in the first place. They know they are selling cheap stuff and make more money from the customer on the insurance policy to boot!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

The Ernie Boch Mazeratti commercials I find bizarre... he's selling $200K cars like he's selling a Toyota... Come on down to auto mile and buy a Mazarratti (requires nazally voice)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

I've done the zero interest thing on furniture. I made sure I understood the terms, and that I paid it all off before the year was up. Not everyone does that though, which is a shame.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

What do you want to bet if "Bob" has a leather sofa it's all leather?? :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

You'd think the marketing strategy would be different, wouldn't you? Guess Ernie is too busy buying and selling zillion dollar condos in Boston to care.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

I'm curious what he's done for the business now that his dad is gone... I only see photos/video of him living a jetsetter lifestyle and playing with that band of his "Ernie and the Automatics"...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

Don't know, though they did acquire a Toyota dealership near me, so he's still expanding. It's amazing he never got into trouble with the "Price is Right"

Sections
Shortcuts