2010: Your year in review

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

Re: 2010: Your year in review

I start my year in September, so ask me in August.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heavyblaster. Show heavyblaster's posts

Best: Anne Hathaway showing me her fun bags in that rom-com.

Worst: Being diagnosed with coloidal metapsygmometriosis.

Losing my house in one of those dodgy mortgage refinancing dealies and moving into that pee-smelling corner of 131 Dartmouth St.

Finding HALF a maggot in my Stop n Shop honey-smoked ham slices.

Being condescended to by a minotaur.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Best thing- blacking out during the last Bruins game of the playoffs
    Worst thing- blacking out during the last Bruins game of the playoffs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGuy3076. Show BostonGuy3076's posts

In Response to Re: 2010: Your year in review:
    Best thing: Not ending up divorced. Worst thing: Not ending up divorced.
    Posted by PowerCord

If I thought about this any more deeply, I'm sure I'd get no work done at all today.  So, instead I'll say very well said, and me too!  (I had no idea PC, by the way; so good luck assuming I'm not just confused.)

-BG

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Jeeps, that was definitely a good thing.  I remember the horror.  You would not have liked it.

2cent - your mention of pigs and spiders reminds me of a song;

'Spider Pig, Spider Pig; doing whatever a Spider Pig does...."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

@Wolfie - I enjoyed reading your post. It's good that you've got a stable situation and a happy marriage. What you said about missed opportunities and bad decisions really struck a chord with me. My husband and I were talking about that the other day and I was listing some of the opportunities I was offered and turned down over the years and how hard it is to learn to see an opportunity for what it is. In my case, just plain getting older and having more experience helped; I'm a late bloomer. I have regrets but really what can one do but hope that one has learned and grown? And be glad to have gotten my head on straight :-) and met Mr. GMV.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NiceyMcNiceynice. Show NiceyMcNiceynice's posts

This is such a nice thread!
    LaughingLaughingLaughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Folkenstein. Show Folkenstein's posts

@GMV: "I have regrets but really what can one do but hope that one has learned and grown?"

A very wise statement, thanks so much for sharing this.
    So many of us live with regret every single day, and it can eat you up if you let it. For my part, it helps a bit to believe that this iteration of 'me' wouldn't have been possible without going through all the hard stuff. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Twinster. Show Twinster's posts

I love this thread.

Best thing: Watching my babies grow up into little people, the arrival of new babies into the family (including visiting the maternity ward and not being a patient in it), and falling asleep every night next to the one I really believe I was put on this earth to be with.

Worst thing: Lingering things from 2009 (worst year of my life) that I swore would be over with so 2010 could be the best year EVER. 2010 kinda let me down so here's hoping 2011 gets the fairy-dust-covered memo.

And to all my friends who have suffered heartache and loss this year, (((hugs))). Wishing you peace in your heart and a happy contentment in your life in 2011.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Best things: Meeting a wonderful woman, watching my children continue to thrive and grow, landing a sweet job in Germany SmileSmileSmile

Worst things: Having to leave said wonderful woman behind Cry

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hsmbs. Show hsmbs's posts

Best - health of my family and our relative financial security during this tough time (which has led to some great trips this yr.)

Worst - lucky to not have anything come to mind!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

GMV:  Thanks for the vote of confidence.  The '90s, as a whole, were a bad period in my life - I began them flunking out of college and having absolutely no plan for my life, in addition to my relationship with my parents being (as a result) at its absolute nadir, and by '93, I so badly needed a change of scenery that I left for the Pacific Northwest with still no plan in mind.  Upon coming back east (to Memphis, TN), I found myself with a diagnosis of type-2 diabetes and getting into a relationship that wound up being 4 years of pure hell.  At the end of the decade, I was unemployed and single again, but I had an Associate's Degree, so was able to turn the page and close out an unhappy and less successful chapter in my life.  And all the good stuff started happening in my 30s; despite the fact that I'm a temp, making much less money than I was back in NYS, my life is the best it's ever been - I'm back in New England (where my heart has always been), I have a lovely home and a lovelier wife (my family were all sure I'd never get married - I wasn't sure I would myself), and I wouldn't trade this or go back now for anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Thanks, Pete. Great post, Twinnie, good to know that some things are going your way.
    Wolfie, we are more alike than you know. I had a really bad start with college and eventually went back and got a good solid BS. Then later on a Masters. My family was impossible about the whole thing. Got my degrees late, married late, never enough time or money to have kids, and, you know, I'm just fine.
    I had a tough start in life as a child and I just made up my mind to survive.  I'm grateful for the help I got over the years and the good folks I've known. As for the others:Illigitimi Non Carborundum! (Don't let the b'tds wear you down.)
    Cheers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

Wolfie: you have a great attitude.  That will take you far my friend
    gmv: love the 'don't let 'em were you down' post!
    twinnie: hope things continue to improve for ya.  keep the fairy dust flying :-)

My first post in this thread was more than just tongue in cheek.  However, 2010 could go down as one of the best or one of the worst in my life for sure.  2011 looks to be just as challenging.  Moving out of the house and away from my kids last summer will probably go down as one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.  It was the right thing to do, but very difficult.  Fortunately, I have my 3 kids 50% of the time.

I've always heard that divorce was awful, but I really had no idea just how painful a process it would be.  I really wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Hopefully my divorce will be finished up in 2011.

all the best!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heavyblaster. Show heavyblaster's posts

I got H1N1 on a plane from Hong Kong. I spent two weeks in a hospital, and I ended with losing my sense of smell. So, 2010 was a suk year for me.

And my cat ran away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from two-sheds. Show two-sheds's posts

Worst Thing: It refuses to sing in front of anyone else.  And it's really PO'ed at me for some reason and ate all my truffles.
    Posted by TwoCentDonation

Does it sing "Hello my Baby"?

Best thing (s):  Watching my son grow.  Still have a great job and marriage.

Worst thing:  Haven't been as successful at my job lately.  Maybe I spend too much time, here?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Best thing: Still with Mr. Cent :)

Worst Thing: A friend died too young from cancer, and another friend's marriage has taken a one way trip to Crazytown.

And, yes, two-sheds, my pig sings "Hello My Baby."  Still eating my truffles, though.  Hrmph.  And it's really hard to find a literate spider.  You'd think in this economy they'd be knocking down my door for a job.  Instead, I just get the slackers who only want to hang out and snack on bugs, and then they leave the trash on the floor.  *sigh*

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Folkenstein. Show Folkenstein's posts

Wolfie: you have a great attitude.  That will take you far my friend gmv: love the 'don't let 'em were you down' post! twinnie: hope things continue to improve for ya.  keep the fairy dust flying :-) My first post in this thread was more than just tongue in cheek.  However, 2010 could go down as one of the best or one of the worst in my life for sure.  2011 looks to be just as challenging.  Moving out of the house and away from my kids last summer will probably go down as one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.  It was the right thing to do, but very difficult.  Fortunately, I have my 3 kids 50% of the time. I've always heard that divorce was awful, but I really had no idea just how painful a process it would be.  I really wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Hopefully my divorce will be finished up in 2011. all the best!
    Posted by jdrotten

jd, having been there, I can tell you that even when it is the right thing to do, and even if you try with all your heart to make it easier on everyone, the process of beginning, middle and even after divorce, especially with kids, is always awful to some degree.
    Do the best you can to get yourself and the kids(and sometimes the ex) through it all and to the other side, and try to go easy on yourself when it all feels like it's crumbling down. Forgiving yourself(with regard to the kids) is a huge task, but so important.
    Time will dull the sharp edges some, and everyone will find their places in the new scheme eventually.
    Wishing you peace of mind in the coming year and beyond...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Best things about 2010:

Took some nice trips this year, esp. one down south to see my MIL, a trip that my darling hub had been procrastinating about.  Turned out to be wonderful!

Also, each of my kids' school situations has improved a lot this year, which has been great.

When this thread started, I didn't think I had any "worst" for 2010.  A good year, all in all.  One of my kids got quite sick, but is recovering well, but other than that.....  

And then I got sick, and I seem to have 3 illnesses at once, I'm now on a second, stronger set of antibiotics, and it's been an awful week and a half.  The worst of it though is that one of the tests showed some unrelated problems and I'm now scheduled for a CT and I am trying very very hard not to think about what it could mean.

I try to keep a mindset that until you have more data to go on, you should not worry.  And with young children, you don't want them to see you worry.  But with young children, that is 90% of why you are so worried.

I guess that's one positive of being so sick -- I haven't had the non-fuzzy brain cells to dwell on the other issue.  So, I must be getting better, as I am starting to focus on the test again.  See, always a bright side!  Tongue out

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from two-sheds. Show two-sheds's posts

E. E. Sandwich,

Best of luck with the CT.  I hope it turns out to be nothing (or at least something that can be easily fixed). 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

E. E. Sandwich, Best of luck with the CT.  I hope it turns out to be nothing (or at least something that can be easily fixed). 
    Posted by two-sheds

Thanks, two-sheds.  These things usually are nothing, but, the older I get the less often that is true.  But, I'm sure it's nothing (a mantra to repeat, repeast repeat).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Sandwich, a lot of tests are false-positives. So, please hang in there and don't freak until necessary. Also, if you get a bad result you can get a second test or opinion before you truly freak. I had a b/c diagnosis that went to "high risk" when I changed hospitals.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Sandwich, a lot of tests are false-positives. So, please hang in there and don't freak until necessary. Also, if you get a bad result you can get a second test or opinion before you truly freak. I had a b/c diagnosis that went to "high risk" when I changed hospitals.
    Posted by Green-Mountain-Views

Thanks for the feedback, GMV.  I had a B/C biopsy myself a couple of years ago, but I was calm about that, mostly because I knew if the results were positive (which they weren't) they had caught it early.  This thing I'm going for, I just don't have the knowledge base that I had for B/C -- it's really ignorance that helps feed panic.  (But I am doing my best not to think about it, as thinking about it is not going to help anyway, at least not at this point.)

I seem to recall from other things that you've said that you had a full recovery -- I hope that is right anyway!  "High risk" sounds quite panic inducing!  Not the two words you most want to hear in a medical setting, or in most any setting I can think of, for that matter.

Hope your health is 100% now -- or better yet 110+%!

(When they do this CT, they're probably just going to find an abundance of "!!!!!s", as I don't seem to be able to post without using a few.  ;)

Sections
Shortcuts