6/21 The Longest Day of the Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

6/21 The Longest Day of the Year

Happy Solstice, everyone!  Today will be the longest, loveliest day of the year, with the life-giving sun at max potential in our area.  In other words, it is all downhill from here.  Get all your Vitamin D while you can!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Re: 6/21 The Longest Day of the Year

I would have entitled today's thread "Icky Sticky Monday".  Oy on the "it's all downhill from here" - you just HAD to go and remind us, huh?  ;-)

Happy Summer, DG...enjoy it while we've got it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

P.S.  a shout out for tricky AND CHC making the cover of the Boston Globe Magazine article by Neil Swidey re: "Unmasking the Anonymous Online Loudmouth" (his title, not mine). 

Tricky's comment:  "Puh-leeze"

CHC's comment:  "Wash off the desperate smell, sweety."

I think I remember CHC's comment on LL.  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

So I'm pretty sure that I bruised my esophagus Saturday night and my chest hurts.  What's up with you guys?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: 6/21 The Longest Day of the Year:
    So I'm pretty sure that I bruised my esophagus Saturday night and my chest hurts.  What's up with you guys?
    Posted by Dread27

OK, I gotta ask.......WTFH?????  (What The F***ing H*LL?????)  Bruised your esophagus....too many beers?  Or were you playing karate-chop with Miss Buttercup and she "hi-YAH!"ed you in the throat?  :-)

I've been dealing with Open Houses, pre-qualification jitters, etc. this weekend.  Otherwise, it was staying inside air conditioning. I don't do humidity well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

Posted by Dread27

In my day a bruised esophagus was called a hickey ;-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Yeah, Dread, that just sounds peculiar. 

I did so much over the weekend, I am completely shocked I am not more sunburned than I am.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

Sup Pups

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: 6/21 The Longest Day of the Year : In my day a bruised esophagus was called a hickey ;-)
    Posted by jdrotten

ROFL!  Well done, jd.  :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Sup Pups
    Posted by backbaybabe

bbb, how was the beach and college boy?  ;-)  Hope you didn't fry out there on Saturday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

Well Saturday night I was beyond exhausted and I took the pill I take at night and I fell asleep.  3 hours later I woke up with severe chest pains.  I'm pretty sure that the pill got caught in my throat and towards the middle of my chest and bruised it when I fell asleep.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

In Response to Re: 6/21 The Longest Day of the Year : bbb, how was the beach and college boy?  ;-)  Hope you didn't fry out there on Saturday.
    Posted by LWhitt58

Good Morning LWhitt

Crane's beach was awesome!!! totally hot day... a wee bit burned, but all in all for a 4 hour beach day, not bad..
    college boy is doing quite well... all's good in our camp... for now at least... hehehe

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

morning bbb!  glad to hear you had a nice weekend with college boy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

Well Saturday night I was beyond exhausted and I took the pill I take at night and I fell asleep.  3 hours later I woke up with severe chest pains.  I'm pretty sure that the pill got caught in my throat and towards the middle of my chest and bruised it when I fell asleep.
    Posted by Dread27

Darn!  sorry to hear that

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Posted by Dread27

OWWW!!!  That isn't good, Dread!  I think if I had woken up with "severe chest pains" I would have called 911!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Agree w LWhitt - I don't mess with chest pains.

Poor Dread!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Good Morning Everyone!!

I spent the weekend appreciating my air conditioner.  I imagine I will do the same this evening.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

hi kids!

My ankle is still cranky.  I think I will have to call the doctor today.  Boo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Good Morning Everyone!! I spent the weekend appreciating my air conditioner.  I imagine I will do the same this evening.
    Posted by TwoCentDonation

They are an amazing contraption of buttons, wires, electronics, freon, and a plastic housing spewing out cool air, aren't they?  Laughing

But boy - would I ever LOVE having central air.  Sometimes the window units get a little rattley.   Fingers crossed on finding the *perfect" townhouse with central air.  Oh - and a garage would be nice as well.  :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

In Response to Re: 6/21 The Longest Day of the Year : But boy - would I ever LOVE having central air.  Sometimes the window units get a little rattley.   Fingers crossed on finding the *perfect" townhouse with central air.  Oh - and a garage would be nice as well.  :-)
    Posted by LWhitt58

In my old apartment there were only two windows large enough for AC, and sadly they were not in my bedroom.  I ended up buying a portable AC unit that vented the hot air out the window via a hose.  And I had to empty the water tank.  It wasn't energy efficient, but it cooled things down enough that I could sleep.

Now I have central air - with programmable thermostats!  So roughly when I get home the AC turns on.  It's comfy for me, but I'm not cooling the place during the day.  (Well, I have it set to mid-80's during the day so if we get some insane heat wave my place won't get out of control with the heat and humidity.)  One downside to central air is that it almost always comes with forced hot air gas for heat.  It makes sense - if you're going to do the duct work for central air you might as well leverage it for the heat.  But the heating isn't as even as radiator heat.  But I think it's a worthwhile trade off.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Dread - I've had that happen to me with pills.  Not fun.  One time, though, I took a calcium pill that had powder inside a gelcap.  It got stuck in my esophagus, and then the gelatin melted and I ended up getting a bunch of NASTY powder in my mouth!  It burned, too.  Blechy.  But at least I was awake and could drown my misery in water.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

Posted by Dread27

Eww...yikes, Dread, that sounds rather unpleasant.  Kind of like when I thought my wife pulled one of my muscles around the lower left side of my ribcage this past winter - we were horsing around a little in the kitchen, and she decided to pull me up on her back and something gave; INTENSE pain!  (Girl doesn't know her own strength.)  I think I went through a whole tube of arnica gel in a couple of weeks getting rid of that pain while my flesh healed itself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

I think it is called pharyngeal esophagitis, 2cent - one of my friends in high school had it from swallowing an aspirin that didn't go down.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: 6/21 The Longest Day of the Year : In my old apartment there were only two windows large enough for AC, and sadly they were not in my bedroom.  I ended up buying a portable AC unit that vented the hot air out the window via a hose.  And I had to empty the water tank.  It wasn't energy efficient, but it cooled things down enough that I could sleep. Now I have central air - with programmable thermostats!  So roughly when I get home the AC turns on.  It's comfy for me, but I'm not cooling the place during the day.  (Well, I have it set to mid-80's during the day so if we get some insane heat wave my place won't get out of control with the heat and humidity.)  One downside to central air is that it almost always comes with forced hot air gas for heat.  It makes sense - if you're going to do the duct work for central air you might as well leverage it for the heat.  But the heating isn't as even as radiator heat.  But I think it's a worthwhile trade off.

My current 2 window units are set at about 79-80 during the day (and blinds are kept mostly closed) - keeps it warmer than I like when I'm there, but not as if the windows were open.  The cats appreciate it as well.  :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

In Response to Re: 6/21 The Longest Day of the Year : In my old apartment there were only two windows large enough for AC, and sadly they were not in my bedroom.  I ended up buying a portable AC unit that vented the hot air out the window via a hose.  And I had to empty the water tank.  It wasn't energy efficient, but it cooled things down enough that I could sleep. Now I have central air - with programmable thermostats!  So roughly when I get home the AC turns on.  It's comfy for me, but I'm not cooling the place during the day.  (Well, I have it set to mid-80's during the day so if we get some insane heat wave my place won't get out of control with the heat and humidity.)  One downside to central air is that it almost always comes with forced hot air gas for heat.  It makes sense - if you're going to do the duct work for central air you might as well leverage it for the heat.  But the heating isn't as even as radiator heat.  But I think it's a worthwhile trade off.

2Cent: You're causing me A/C envy. *pout*  I want central A/C... It was a necessity when I lived down South (in my folks' old place in New Orleans, the system broke down every year - mildew problems), although in my last apartment there (Knoxville, TN), I had two window units mounted in the walls - one in the living room/kitchen area, the other in the bedroom.  Here, we're fortunate to have windows big enough to take the 2 window units we've got, one in the living room, the other in the kitchen.

This weekend, I did laundry and dishes while my wife was off making some extra money participating in a study at Schlesinger Associates (mock jury-trial for what was, in fact, a real case) on Saturday, and we celebrated the solstice on Sunday afternoon at Winter Island in Salem.  I could have done without the humidity (blech!), but Saturday was gorgeous, no question about that - took a break out on the back porch and almost fell asleep sitting up - and so is today.  Shame to have to be at work...but this is the last day of my temp assignment.  (Don't worry, not getting fired - just done with the project I was assigned to help wrap up.)  Interview tomorrow afternoon for another!