7/1 - Themed Avatar Thursday is Back!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowerCord. Show PowerCord's posts

7/1 - Themed Avatar Thursday is Back!

In honor of the upcoming Birthday of our Country, let's do American Flag Avatars.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Re: 7/1 - Themed Avatar Thursday is Back!

Such a pretty flag it is, too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

USA!  USA! USA! USA!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

Yo Yo!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Hey, bebeh!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to 7/1 - Themed Avatar Thursday is Back!:
    In honor of the upcoming Birthday of our Country, let's do American Flag Avatars.
    Posted by PowerCord

Good call, PC!  Mine's been changed (Lily - I'm seeing the Iwo Jima flag raising, so I think you're good!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkingTheWalk. Show WalkingTheWalk's posts

Happy July 1st everyone!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

P.S.  This is going to make it VERY difficult to figure out who's who on the blog today!  Why - we might actually have to READ the person's name too!  LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: 7/1 - Themed Avatar Thursday is Back!:
    Happy July 1st everyone!
    Posted by WalkingTheWalk

Half the year has gone by - the older you get, the faster it seems to pass by!

And remember - it's Happy Independence Day on Sunday - NOT Happy "4th of July".  Every country has a July 4th .  Not every country has an Independence Day, right?  ;-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Lots of countries have Independence Days.  Some unfortunate countries have more than one.

I can't hug the Marine I want to hug; he is ten thousand miles away.  Andall the ones I know that are close enough to hug would take it as an opportunity to feel me up.  Hmmm....

I think hugging the Air Force might be safer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Yes, but not every country has an Independence Day.  And this one is ours.  It's not "Happy 4th of July" - it's the celebration of our independence, not the celebration of our July 4th.  It's just always seemed silly to me to say "Happy 4th of July" - there's no significance to that phrase to me.  Unfortunately, it's become prevalent with even our newspeople saying it.  Blech.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

It's metonymy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowerCord. Show PowerCord's posts

We even have 100% participation today!
    Awesome....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Twinster. Show Twinster's posts

I want to play! America's birthday is my favorite holiday *ever*.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Twinster. Show Twinster's posts

Oh shoot. Okay let me take two on that avatar. Be right back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

P.S.  This is going to make it VERY difficult to figure out who's who on the blog today!  Why - we might actually have to READ the person's name too!  LOL
    Posted by LWhitt58

LOL!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Yes, but not every country has an Independence Day.  And this one is ours.  It's not "Happy 4th of July" - it's the celebration of our independence, not the celebration of our July 4th.  It's just always seemed silly to me to say "Happy 4th of July" - there's no significance to that phrase to me.  Unfortunately, it's become prevalent with even our newspeople saying it.  Blech.
    Posted by LWhitt58

Oh that's poopycock; you just like to argue about stuff.  I disagree with DG; it may have been metonymy at one time, but now it's synonymous.  When I hear "4th of july," I hear grand old flag and smell the cookouts and see the parades and the fireworks.  When I hear independance day, I'm not sure what I think of; maybe a will smith movie?  Honestly "independence day" sounds more mexican or french than american.  In america, we have the fourth of july! 
    Happy fourth everybody! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

It's metonymy.
    Posted by diamondgirl

Perhaps (although I don't see it that way). But other countries don't celebrate their independence by saying "Happy September 7th!"  At least I don't think they do.

And just because it's a substitution phrase doesn't make it correct.  I still look at it as we don't celebrate the 4th of July - every country has that date as well.  We don't "own" it.

But I know I fight a losing battle in this regard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Twinster. Show Twinster's posts

Ah, well. Can't fiddle with it. Beautiful day, wonderful weekend, happiness!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: 7/1 - Themed Avatar Thursday is Back! : Oh that's poopycock; you just like to argue about stuff.  I disagree with DG; it may have been metonymy at one time, but now it's synonymous.  When I hear "4th of july," I hear grand old flag and smell the cookouts and see the parades and the fireworks.  When I hear independance day, I'm not sure what I think of; maybe a will smith movie?  Honestly "independence day" sounds more mexican or french than american.  In america, we have the fourth of july!  Happy fourth everybody! 
    Posted by McBostonrob

Why thank you for chiming in, McBRob.  And in Spain and Australia and China and in South Africa, THEY have a 4th of July as well!  Regardless of whether you think it's poopycock or not, it's the celebration of our Independence.  Not the celebration of a day that every country has.

But as I said, I know I'm fighting a losing battle.  I shall continue to say "Happy Independence Day" - even if it reminds you of Will Smith.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Well, no, it IS metonymy.  If you don't like it and think it is stupid, then I fully support that position, but it can't be un-metonymied.  In fact, it is such a popular metonymy that, as Rob points out, it has become the thing itself.

It's a poetic device.  'Correct' is a very strange word to use.  'The Glorious Fourth' should not be used; it is Independence Day?  Let's not say 'the pen is mightier than the sword,' - everyone knows you can cut a pen in half with a sword.  Let's just say 'The effect that the thoughts and philosophy of men has upon this world can make more sweeping and permanent change than military might.' 

I mean, what?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Twinster. Show Twinster's posts

In honor of today's avatar theme, are we allowed to hug a Marine?
    Posted by Lily87

Yes. Lots of them. Where is that little Dread these days, anyway?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trickycrayon. Show trickycrayon's posts

WORD TO YA MUTHA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

In Response to Re: 7/1 - Themed Avatar Thursday is Back! : But as I said, I know I'm fighting a losing battle.  I shall continue to say "Happy Independence Day" - even if it reminds you of Will Smith.
    Posted by LWhitt58

I resent the implication here that anyone has a problem with what you call Sunday.  Call it anything you like - no one minds it.  It's objecting to what we call it that has freaked me out.

In any case, aren't we happy we live in a place where none of us are going to get thrown in jail for arguing about it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

TRICKY!!!!!