7/30 - TGIF!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

7/30 - TGIF!!!!

Yes, I am a nerd for starting this Thursday evening, but that is how badly I want it to be the weekend.

Oh, wait, if it's the weekend then that means I have less time to get my stuff done before missing a deadline...  Carp.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowerCord. Show PowerCord's posts

Re: 7/30 - TGIF!!!!

I'm declaring today Freckles Friday for Dimmy and Diamond...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

awww PC, how cute!!!!

TGIF 2Cent

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

You're too funny twocent!  Happy Friday all!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

Good morning everyone.  I just read yesterday's letter.  What a royal kamaya-maya *****!  PC, your reply was what I would have said.  Way to bring the Dread!

Just thought I'd say hi.  We're still cool right?  I have watermelon.  Ok not really but I COULD have watermelon.  Just keep that in mind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trickycrayon. Show trickycrayon's posts

I'm going to NH for the weekend. Like a mini-vacation!

...also I apparently have vacation time at work. I am taking suggestions, because I've never actually taken a vacation before...

ilu Dread <3 <3 <3

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Mmmmm... watermelon.  Is it on a horse?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Oo!!  Tricky's got vacay time!  How much?  What do you like to do?  What's your budget like on a scale of $ to $$$$?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trickycrayon. Show trickycrayon's posts

Ummmm I have 2 weeks? I think I can pretty much take them one at a time. I probably can't do anything until September- in August, someone's out every week. But if I'm understanding correctly, I have 1 week from December-June and then another week from July-December...I'm probably just going to take one at some point in the fall, two feels...excessive.

I like doing lots of things. Particularly being outside, walking around in the woods, that sort of thing. I was kind of thinking of driving to NH/Western MA/somewhere else with lots of trees, staying in a b&b on a lake, with a book, by myself...but I don't even know where to start looking! I figured you were the ones to ask, being that you're successful adults who understand the concept of vacation...

And my budget is anything from $ to $$$$, so I'm taking all suggestions (though realistically I'll probably keep it at $-$$.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Tricky - good morning.  I haven't been here in awhile, but I saw you're scoping out vacation ideas.

My first thought was Vermont.  In the fall - Columbus Day weekend for leaf peeping.  (But places book up quickly in ANY leaf-peeping area, so you'd have to decide quickly).  Perhaps Lake Champlain area?  Antiquing, apple picking, art galleries, biking, hot air balloons, cheesemongers, restaurants, lovely country inns....

http://www.vtliving.com/lodging/inns/burl.shtml

And hello to all.  :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oingoboingo. Show oingoboingo's posts

Trickycrayon, I'm going to NH this weekend, as well!

As far as your vaca time - depends on what you like. What about Portland, ME? (On the water, nice downtown area, good restaurants). Or Northampton, MA? (Eclectic stores/restaurants & there's a Herrell's ice cream shop there!)

Hope you & everyone else has a FANTASTIC weekend!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trickycrayon. Show trickycrayon's posts

Thanks LWhitt! :D

Oooh Maine. I forgot about Maine. I've been to Northampton...iffy memories there.

WOO for NH trips! :) you have a great weekend too!

I  have a bunch of friends who all said "VISIT ME IN _____" but they're all going to be working or in school when I can take the week. I'm debating splitting the week between my bff's college in Cobleskill, NY and Cornell, where my other friend is going...but I don't want to be a PITA when they both have school to attend to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Hi LWhitt!!

Tricky, I can't recommend any vacation spots in those parts...  A long time ago I was going to go there with a bf, but we never did :(  But, it sounds like an excellent idea if you like the outdoors!

Another possibility is the Cape.  By fall the summertime tourists have gone.  There are still tourists around - the ones who know the Cape is still a good place to in the fall - but not nearly as many.  And you might be able to get off-season rates.  As for where to stay a general rule of thumb is the further out on the Cape you go, the nicer it gets (less honky-tonk).  And avoid South Yarmouth Rte 28 area - majorly honky-tonk.  But a good place to find clam shacks and over-the-top mini-golf  :)

Falmouth and Woods Hole would also be good possibilities, but I'm not as familiar with that part of the Cape.

You could also go to Martha's Vineyard and rent a bike for travelling around the island.

One thing I've found that helps cut costs is to stay in an extended stay hotel or someplace that has a kitchen with a fridge and stove.  That way I can save money food.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

As far as visiting people who are working/going to school: As long as you have your own means of transportation and don't mind doing stuff on your own it's workable.  You can go to museums, take tours, go shopping, sightsee, etc. on your own.  And you can earn your keep by cooking them dinner one night :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oingoboingo. Show oingoboingo's posts

Sorry about the Northampton recommendation then, TC :-X

You could definitely hit up Cobleskill on the way to Ithaca for Cornell. (I'm originally from ~1hr from Cobleskill). Though I will say that there seems to be a lot more going on and a lot more to do in Ithaca.

I am ALL for trips that get you free boarding ;-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

TCD, hello!  And VERY good idea re: the Cape in the autumn - prices are going to be much less out of season, but places will (should?) still be open.

But tricky - remember that if you're going anywhere there is leaf peeping (upstate NY into New England), you will need to plan ahead.  Especially if you're doing the B&B route.  They always book up fast.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

I'll vote for leaf peeping in NH...it's so beautiful up there in the fall

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Yes, most of the seasonal places on the Cape will be open in September, and possibly into part of October.  But, because the Cape's population has grown, especially mid-Cape, there are many places open year-round.  But mostly mid-Cape (Barnstable, Yarmouth, Dennis, especially Barnstable).  However, a word of caution if you're staying in Hyannis (which I wouldn't recommedn since you want to be close to nature) - along with the population growth there's been an increase in crime.  It doesn't get publicized because they don't want to scare away the tourists, but normal safety precautions apply.  No valuables left in the car.  Lock your doors.  Be aware of your surroundings, etc.

But don't let that scare you!!  I mean, it still isn't as bad as NYC and you'd still consider a vacay there, right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Hi Tricky!  I second twocent's idea of the Cape. 

The Lower Cape - Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro, is amazing in the fall.  If you're into biking, the Cape Cod Rail Trail begins (or ends depending on your persective) in Wellfleet and you can follow it west towards the bridge.  It's flat and user friendly.  There are walking trails throughout the National Seashore and of course the beaches are spectacular.  A day trip shopping in P'town is still fun though a lot of the unique shops have turned into tourista stops.  Restaurants and stores should still be open well into October, but without the crowds and traffic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Cariokie. Show -Cariokie's posts

Tricky, Portsmouth, NH is fun too! Close to the water, artsy shops and close to Maine for lobstahs, leaf peeping, hiking and outlet shopping. Have fun!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

nothing beats New England in the fall... no place on this planet has better falls than New England!

taking day trips alone can be fun and dont break the bank.... going up the coast in maine, totally fun..
    or going inland in NH and really see the leaves change...
    there's always the Mount Washington Resort... or the Harraseeket in Freeport or
    church landing in mills falls on lake winnepesaukee

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Cariokie. Show -Cariokie's posts

Or you could come to Orlando and hang with me! October-April offers fab weather and there's TONS to do here...