Advice on giving advice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

Advice on giving advice

I just read a great artcile about giving advice. Here is the link to the whole thing -> http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/the-best-advice-for-giving-advice-2408469/

“The way advice is given can inadvertently increase the receiver’s resistance to hearing it or acting on it, You want the advisee to come away with good advice, rather than bad feelings about the advisor.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeLessonsLearned. Show LifeLessonsLearned's posts

Re: Advice on giving advice

NICE! Excellent advice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMod1. Show BDCMod1's posts

Will -- That's a nice piece, and there's no problem with what it says. But it's a copyrighted article, and posting huge chunks of it causes legal problems. Could you work with me on taking that comment down and re-posting just the link?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

In Response to Re: Advice on giving advice:
    [QUOTE]Will -- That's a nice piece, and there's no problem with what it says. But it's a copyrighted article, and posting huge chunks of it causes legal problems. Could you work with me on taking that comment down and re-posting just the link?
    Posted by BDCMod1[/QUOTE]

OK - good point.

I left just one sentence and the link. Hopefully that will be OK.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMod1. Show BDCMod1's posts

Thanks, Will. That's fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sexy-sadie. Show sexy-sadie's posts

I think that was a good article. I wonder sometimes why people respond so insensitively to a letter writer. Do they really think calling the LW names or berating their decisions is fruitful? I understand tough love, but some commenters are just overly harsh.

Thank you for posting that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnny1963. Show johnny1963's posts

Hey Wills, nice job

I know you are lurking!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Wills, nice job I know you are lurking!!
    Posted by johnny1963[/QUOTE]

Yup - been watching the interaction in the LL blog. Looks like things are pretty much back to the normal fun. I plan on returning to the fray when I return from my vacation in early December. There have been a few times when it's been almost unbearable to NOT respond to some of the comments.

Have fun everyone, stay safe and I'll see you all when I get back. (as long as things don't get out of hand again and remain fun here)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Advice on giving advice : Yup - been watching the interaction in the LL blog. Looks like things are pretty much back to the normal fun. I plan on returning to the fray when I return from my vacation in early December. There have been a few times when it's been almost unbearable to NOT respond to some of the comments. Have fun everyone, stay safe and I'll see you all when I get back. (as long as things don't get out of hand again and remain fun here)
    Posted by WillDeerborn-of-Gilead[/QUOTE]

Hey Will - have a good vacation - we'll miss you on the WA boards!  Looking forward to your return on the blog as well!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

Good stuff Will...thanks for that.  Have a great vacation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from justcat. Show justcat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Advice on giving advice : Yup - been watching the interaction in the LL blog. Looks like things are pretty much back to the normal fun. I plan on returning to the fray when I return from my vacation in early December. There have been a few times when it's been almost unbearable to NOT respond to some of the comments. Have fun everyone, stay safe and I'll see you all when I get back. (as long as things don't get out of hand again and remain fun here)
    Posted by WillDeerborn-of-Gilead[/QUOTE]
    Been wondering where the heck you were Mr. Will!  Hope you have fun, send us a tacky postcard and see you soon!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnny1963. Show johnny1963's posts

enjoy the vacation Wills and looking forward to your return!