Bankrupt men who don't drink

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Bankrupt men who don't drink

This morning in yesterday's letter, LLL wrote:

"Now he's beyond flat broke, unable to pay his debts, and is getting a "get out of jail free" from a bankruptcy judge that will make his debt go bye-bye."

That's not how it works. You are still responsible for your debts.

The Court's Trustee bundles your debts into one; you pay the Trustee monthly; the Trustee pays your bills according to whatever formula the law requires (attorneys, please chime in here).

There's no "bye-bye." And you still have to keep up with your incoming bills.

For example: Say I own a two-family home (which I don't), and I'm in foreclosure. A Chapter 13, for example (yeah, there are other Chapters), keeps the house from the hands of the Evil Empire (I mean, modern bankers). But I now have to give a monthly check to the Trustee - *and* still keep up with my regular monthly mortgage payments.

Having your "debts discharged" does not mean "bye-bye." You're still responsible for them, but in a different way.

So, if you're gonna flame the guy, as so many others did yesterday, keep facts straight, if you please.

And refer to yesterday's Business section article on skyrocketing foreclosure rates around here (it refers to Mass., not NH; the LW didn't say where he lived before his parents' place). Life's tough out there these days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

Re: Bankrupt men who don't drink

The chapter 7 does discharge most debts, the exact ones exempt vary state to state. Chapter 13 is for people still making a decent income and lets them restructure debt over a certain period of time.

I don't have any personal experience with bankruptcy but I imagine its no picnic and by no means a get out of jail free card. But that was just an unfortunate choice of words.

I think most folks were annoyed because they ignored his use of the word "irresponsible" for the people he didn't have much use for and instead focused on the drinking. Some took that more personally than I think he meant. His overall arrogant tone didn't help either. But it is tough out there and in any case life has brought all of us low once or more. So there but the grace of God ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Nice post, bzorn. Very thoughtful and kind (as you always are).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

Thank you. And I wanted to also thank you and, I think it was Redwolfe, for introducing me to the song "Wild Irish Thyme". I have been playing it for weeks. And enjoying doing so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

YW, Bzorn. Wolfie is the ethnomusicologist, not me, but I do like the traditional tunes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

Bzorn, it's actually "Wild Mountain Thyme," and is closely related to another Scottish poem entitled "The Braes o' Balquhidder" (last word pronounced approximately like "bellwether") - I've heard versions of both by the Tannahill Weavers, one of the best Scottish folk groups I've heard in a long time, and had the great fortune of seeing them perform live in Albany in 2004 (for a broadcast on WAMC - the local NPR station in upstate NY - at their venue, the Linda Norris Auditorium).

Yeah, something of an ethnomusicologist and a wanna-be bard (but I can't play the harp); I love Celtic music and am a particular fan of Robin Williamson, who first got famous with the Incredible String Band in the '60s.  When they split up in 1974, he formed another band, His Merry Men, to back him on a few albums in the late '70s (American Stonehenge, A Glint at the Kindling), and since then has worked mainly solo.  While with the ISB, he dabbled in Scientology, but has been an honourary member of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids for many years and has made some absolutely wonderful bardic-themed recordings - I have the CDs, would happily burn and send copies to you if you like.  (You too, RDG - still think we should get together for coffee one of these days and talk about this stuff.)  Probably my favourite poem of his is "Five Denials on Merlin's Grave."  But as a complete album, his 2001 CD The Seed-at-Zero, in which he sets a number of Dylan Thomas poems to music, is the one album in my CD collection I have played the most.  And there's his tribute to Dylan Thomas, "For Mr. Thomas":

The judge within me sukks eggs and jerks the sacred meat
    For the boy within me still dreams under Milkwood Town.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Absolutely, Wolfie!

An earthly nourris sits and sings,
    And aye she sings, "Ba lilly wean,
    Little ken I, my bairns father,
    Far less the land that he staps in."

Then ane arose at her bed fit,
    And a grumly guest I'm sure was he,
    Saying "Here am I, thy bairns father,
    Although I am not comely."

I am a man upon the land,
    I am a silkie in the sea,
    And when I'm far frae every strand,
    My home it is in Sule Skerry."

Then he has taken a purse of gold,
    And he has laid it on her knee,
    Saying, "give to me, my little young son,
    And take thee up thy nouriss fee.

It shall come to pass on a summer's day,
    When the sun shines hot on every stone,
    That I shall take my little young son,
    And teach him for to swim the foam.

And thou shalt marry a proud gunner,
    And a very proud gunner I'm sure he'll be,
    And the very first shot that e're he shoots,
    he'll kill both my young son and me."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

In Response to Re: Bankrupt men who don't drink:
    [QUOTE]Bzorn, it's actually "Wild Mountain Thyme," and is closely related to another Scottish poem entitled "The Braes o' Balquhidder" (last word pronounced approximately like "bellwether") - I've heard versions of both by the Tannahill Weavers, one of the best Scottish folk groups I've heard in a long time, and had the great fortune of seeing them perform live in Albany in 2004 (for a broadcast on WAMC - the local NPR station in upstate NY - at their venue, the Linda Norris Auditorium). Yeah, something of an ethnomusicologist and a wanna-be bard (but I can't play the harp); I love Celtic music and am a particular fan of Robin Williamson, who first got famous with the Incredible String Band in the '60s.  When they split up in 1974, he formed another band, His Merry Men, to back him on a few albums in the late '70s (American Stonehenge, A Glint at the Kindling), and since then has worked mainly solo.  While with the ISB, he dabbled in Scientology, but has been an honourary member of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids for many years and has made some absolutely wonderful bardic-themed recordings - I have the CDs, would happily burn and send copies to you if you like.  (You too, RDG - still think we should get together for coffee one of these days and talk about this stuff.)  Probably my favourite poem of his is "Five Denials on Merlin's Grave."  But as a complete album, his 2001 CD The Seed-at-Zero, in which he sets a number of Dylan Thomas poems to music, is the one album in my CD collection I have played the most.  And there's his tribute to Dylan Thomas, "For Mr. Thomas": The judge within me sukks eggs and jerks the sacred meat For the boy within me still dreams under Milkwood Town.
    Posted by redwolf68[/QUOTE]
    I do know what the right name was I must of just had a brain faht. And thank you for it. The song not the brain faht that is. I play it now. I own it now Smile Plus my daughter got me a bodhran for Christmas. She knows she can never go wrong with a noise maker. The versions I am working with were by Dick Gaughan, who I really like and the Corries.I am new to celtic music in the sense that it is something I am very interested in playing. One thing I find somewhat complicated but still essential is the drone in the music. I am thinking that this song, which I play in D sounds like it uses a Dno3rd which is what I use to get that drone. I have a guitar that I tune to nashville tuning for that effect. I am really having a blast with it. I consider it a gift when someone shows me good music I did not know about. Thank you again for that and thank you for the offer to burn the CD but if it is as good as you say it is I will buy it. Then musicians ain't Bruce Springsteen and they need the money. Dylan Thomas?? What did he name himself after Bob?Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bankrupt men who don't drink : I do know what the right name was I must of just had a brain faht. And thank you for it. The song not the brain faht that is. I play it now. I own it now Plus my daughter got me a bodhran for Christmas. She knows she can never go wrong with a noise maker. The versions I am working with were by Dick Gaughan, who I really like and the Corries.I am new to celtic music in the sense that it is something I am very interested in playing. One thing I find somewhat complicated but still essential is the drone in the music. I am thinking that this song, which I play in D sounds like it uses a Dno3rd which is what I use to get that drone. I have a guitar that I tune to nashville tuning for that effect. I am really having a blast with it. I consider it a gift when someone shows me good music I did not know about. Thank you again for that and thank you for the offer to burn the CD but if it is as good as you say it is I will buy it. Then musicians ain't Bruce Springsteen and they need the money. Dylan Thomas?? What did he name himself after Bob?
    Posted by bzorn22[/QUOTE]

Well, my offer to burn the Robin Williamson CDs is partly because I had such a hard time finding them at first.  The Seed-at-Zero I found in a really good record shop in Knoxville, TN, called The Record Exchange - I've never spotted it anywhere else, other than online at Amazon.com.  Same with the rest of his solo albums, and TSAZ was the first of three he's done, thus far, for the ECM label (which is distributed by Universal, so you'd think it would be easier to find...nope!).  I have the other two as well, Skirting the River Road (2003) and The Iron Stone (2006) - the latter I bought directly from ECM, in fact - as well as expanded remasters of Journey's Edge (1977), American Stonehenge (1978), A Glint at the Kindling (1979) and Songs of Love & Parting (1981), all of which were originally done for the now-defunct Flying Fish label.  The first one is available from the UK label Fledg'ling (a great source of remastered British folk albums); the other three I have as reissues from Gottdiscs, along with the double CD Four Gruagach Tales.

My wife and I used to run an online record shop called Crow & Wolf Music, and at one point, I tried to get Robin to sell his CDs with us - I was after his independent label, Pig's Whisker Music, and its releases (about two dozen or so, I think) - even got to talk to him on the phone; he lives in Cardiff, Wales, with his wife and daughter these days.  Ultimately, I was not successful, but I loved getting the opportunity to speak personally with one of my musical heroes - a nice, smart man, to be sure.  I love, more than anything, to get the chance to expose people to music they might have missed before, as I enjoy doing it for myself - my CD collection is pretty big, and quite eclectic, and I'm always looking for neat stuff to add to it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely, Wolfie! An earthly nourris sits and sings, And aye she sings, "Ba lilly wean, Little ken I, my bairns father, Far less the land that he staps in." Then ane arose at her bed fit, And a grumly guest I'm sure was he, Saying "Here am I, thy bairns father, Although I am not comely." I am a man upon the land, I am a silkie in the sea, And when I'm far frae every strand, My home it is in Sule Skerry." Then he has taken a purse of gold, And he has laid it on her knee, Saying, "give to me, my little young son, And take thee up thy nouriss fee. It shall come to pass on a summer's day, When the sun shines hot on every stone, That I shall take my little young son, And teach him for to swim the foam. And thou shalt marry a proud gunner, And a very proud gunner I'm sure he'll be, And the very first shot that e're he shoots, he'll kill both my young son and me."
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

RDG, how about you?  If you want some of this great music I've managed to get my hands on over the years, I'd be more than happy to share it with you.  As I told Bzorn, I enjoy nothing so much as being able to share good music with friends.  I can't imagine you've got that much of a budget for music as it is! Smile

Send me a message here or on FB, maybe we can plan something...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

OK, O'll go to FB tonight. Thanks so much, Wolfie. Thanks very kind of you.

If you like Waulking songs, I have a CD and booklet of that you can have, that I used in my Irish-Scottish folklife class. In fact, I have all kinds of neat stuff on CD and books that you can have. :)