Black Swan. Love it or hate it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Black Swan. Love it or hate it?

This may not be the best place to post this but I like the way a lot of you think about things. What was exactly the point of Black Swan? Is it simply another retelling of the story? Did the gross special effects add to the movie or detract? Was the long sex scene with ....(spoiler...if you've seen the movie, you'll know who I mean)...central to the story or just a way for the producers to sneak in a steamy scene? Did Natalie Portman deserve best actress?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Re: Black Swan. Love it or hate it?

Well, don't watch it because of me. There's some seriously gruesome stuff in it. I thought it would kind of be a chick flick with a bit of an edge. Not. What I've been wondering is if my distaste for it is because I'm older and didn't grow up with Alien and Chuckie and all the violent visuals. I can handle movie violence; The Deer Hunter is, to me, the best movie ever made. But Black Swan really set me back a bit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

For some reason, and I don't really know why, I'm kind of turned off by Natalie Portman.  (Have not seen the movie)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Black Swan. Love it or hate it?:
    [QUOTE]For some reason, and I don't really know why, I'm kind of turned off by Natalie Portman.  (Have not seen the movie)
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

But, Jake, with an avatar like yours, I'd think you'd be into the gruesome ones (movies, not actresses).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

jkjband: If that's an avatar from The Shining then that's scary, but not necessarily gruesome.....although I never made it all the way through The Shining. Black Swan is gruesome (to me.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Black Swan. Love it or hate it?:
    [QUOTE]jkjband: If that's an avatar from The Shining then that's scary, but not necessarily gruesome.....although I never made it all the way through The Shining. Black Swan is gruesome (to me.)
    Posted by Green-Mountain-Views[/QUOTE]

I'm (obviously) not a good judge -- I don't do gruesome OR scary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

What was exactly the point of Black Swan? - Really, what exactly is the point of ANY movie. #1 to make money, #2 to entertain, and sometimes #3 to educate and enlighten. Black swan certainly did #1, to some it did #2 (to me it WAS #2) - #3 was not even in the equation

Is it simply another retelling of the story? - To some extent yes, an interesting re-interpretation.

Did the gross special effects add to the movie or detract? - Not at all, it was a horror film after all. The FX weren't particularly gross

Was the long sex scene with ....(spoiler...if you've seen the movie, you'll know who I mean)...central to the story or just a way for the producers to sneak in a steamy scene? - not really central to the story but important non-the-less. And YES it was a way to sneek in sex for the male audience

Did Natalie Portman deserve best actress? - IMHO - no. She was good, very good really but award worthy? Not in my opinion. I didn't even nominate her for my awards.

My final verdict on Black Swan - certainly didn't 'Love It' - didn't really 'Hate It' but was very disappointed in it after all the critical hype. To me it was just OK at best, just so-so. (and I see a LOT of movies - almost everything that gets general release, although not most horror films as I am not a fan of the genre in general)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Thanks, Will! I didn't realize it was a horror film. That's my bad; I didn't read much about the film. I often will see an Oscar-winning film just to see what the fuss is about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I think Natalie Portman, although only 29, already deserves the Lifetime Achievement Award. Yes for Best Actress this time around (although much better in Closer), but she has such a fine body of work, looking at her entire career. Loved Black Swan, didn't think of it as a horror film at all.

Didn't think Jennifer Lawrence did such a great job in Winter's Bone - a lot of younger actresses could have handled that role, there was no need to nominate Jennifer Lawrence.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Thanks, Reindeer. It's good to get your perspective. I guess Oscars are often reflective of the career as well as the particular performance. I remember Russell Crowe getting passed over for best actor for that whistle-blower role, which I thought was incredibly good, and then getting it for Gladiator, of all things. We haven't seen Winter's Bone yet.