Cat Issue

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Cat Issue

Got 2 cats now and have always had at least one, I don't understand... we had one cat who had a complete personality change when we brought our first son home for the first time. He (the cat not my son) became different and not a good different.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

at 4/11/2011 5:10 PM EDT
    First: 8/4/2010
    Last: 4/11/2011

Answer by Dr. Mara Ratnofsky of Angell Animal Medical Center's General Medicine Service:
    While it is possible that your cat has a urinary tract infection, bacterial infection is actually not a common cause of urinary issues in healthy male cats. Far more common is a condition referred to as Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (aka Feline Urologic Syndrome or Feline Idiopathic Cystitis). With this condition, the bladder becomes very inflamed for unknown reasons. A cat experiencing an episode may have bloody urine, strain to urinate, urinate in unusual places, have abdominal pain, and lick the urinary opening. This condition is usually managed with a combination of medication and supportive care.

More concerning, however, is a problem called urinary obstruction. With this condition, there is a blockage in the urinary tract that makes the cat physically unable to urinate. Urinary obstruction is a medical emergency, as cats with this condition are usually quite painful and quickly become very sick. Early signs may mimic those of Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease, however obstructed cats produce minimal to no urine while straining, may vomit or become lethargic, and can actually die. Because it can be difficult to tell these conditions apart, a visit to your veterinarian is definitely a good idea.

For owners with financial concerns, there are many programs that provide assistance. At Angell Animal Medical Center we offer Care Credit which allows qualified applicants to spread payments out interest-free for a defined period of time. The MSPCA also provides low-cost spay/neuter services for low-income pet owners at www.mspca.org/snap. Spaying or neutering your pet can save costs down the road since they will no longer face certain cancers.

If you are in need of a veterinarian you may call Angell Animal Medical Center at (617) 524-5653 to schedule an appointment, or visit www.angell.org/generalmedicine for more information.

AngellVets

Tips for making a house move easier for 3 geriatric cats

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

Lily I agree with DogLady and Sally.  A visit to the vet is in order.  Thyroid conditions are very common in cats and can cause the behavior you're seeing.  You think you're unhappy?  Imagine how kitty might be feeling.  Does he yowl at night too?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

Yeah.  Cats tend to exhibit jerky behavior when they are in pain.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

You still want to rule out a medical cause for the change in his behavior, if it's a UTI he might only need antibiotics.   Good Luck.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigger11. Show Trigger11's posts

He needs to get laid! I mean, I have been behaving the same way. It has been sooooo long. Get him a girlfriend or hook him up with the neighbors cat for a little one nighter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hyphen-. Show Hyphen-'s posts

Hey, there, cousin Lily Hyphen. Have you brought him to a vet? How old is he?

My cat (long departed at age 17) was crapping around the house in the latter stages of his kidney failure, which older male cats on dry food are prone to. He stopped eating his dry food (I started give him a little wet food again, just to get him to eat). He would drag his butt along the rugs and leave little "presents" here and there. He also got a little crazy and mean (bitey) at times.

Not to say your cat has the same problem, but your vet would know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inter-Planet. Show Inter-Planet's posts

Since it is a sudden change it is likely a medical condition causing him pain / discomfort (poor guy).  Urinary issues manifest themselves in this way including the defecation and knocking the lid off the litter box.  A good vet should be able to figure it out.  - Sorry :(

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

The good news is, it's probably a quick fix for KittyKatto.  Then he'll be back to his old smiling self.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

Lilz-

Couple of things:
    1. My little darlings sometimes pull stunts like this if the actual litter box is old -if you haven't already, pick up an entire new one!
    2. My one little one will do this on occasion when we've been around other cats too much - becomes a marking issue.

But pleaase do go to the vet - my eldest cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes. We're not treating her (she's 19 and not in any pain) but just knowing and understanding the signs has made us more attuned to her and her needs in the last stage of her life.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

I agree with everyone else who has said a visit to the vet is in order.  I don't think he's being a brat, per se.  He's begging you to help him.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Even before reading cat lady's post, cystitis was my 1st thought as well. It may be awhile before you can get him to the vet, but get some Purina One formulated for Urinary Tract health and start him on it right away. If that is what iit is, you will probably want to keep him on that for good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from justcat. Show justcat's posts

There's a quick fix if you can get at any health food store.  My older cat had a UTI and my (naturopathic) vet suggested starting him on a remedy called Nux Vomica (I know - weird name, but works for humans also, as a great hangover remedy!).  Change his water a couple of times a day and add a couple of pellets each time you do.  Try and use filtered water or it could affect the remedy.  Anyway, it's about $8 in Whole Foods and even if it doesn't work, it won't hurt him.  My cat was better in about a day.  Putting it in the water is easier than trying to get it in his mouth, but it will work more slowly.  Give it a shot, and you can always use it as a hangover remedy for you if it doesn't.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Isn't nux vomica strychnine? 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

In Response to Re: Cat Issue:
    Lil, sometimes IAMS, and cheaper foods that you get at the pet store that are full of fillers can cause an older cat to get a thing called crystals in the urine. This is quickly resolved by putting him on a prescription diet. It's not an actual prescription, it's just slightly more expensive food you can usually only get at the vets office. My cats gave always eaten the cheap stuff for the first 5-8 years of their lives, then I switch them to the good stuff.
    Posted by Sally-

Sally-'s totally right... the best thing to do is to look at the ingredients in the food... the first ingredient should be meat... not meat by-products or other fillers like corn.  
    Male cats are especially susceptible to urinary problems too unfortunately.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

In Response to Re: Cat Issue:
    I was right.  My cat was butthurt.  Instead of filling out a form to tell me so, he let me know other ways.  Since I've been home for four days straight showering him with attention, he's been fine.
    Posted by Lily-

In this case, you might want to try something called Rescue Remedy in his water... its really good for helping animals chill out.  You can get that at Whole Foods, too.  

Sections
Shortcuts