Christmas Eve/Day Volunteer Ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

Re: Christmas Eve/Day Volunteer Ideas

Lils - have you ever looked into Boston cares? ive done some work for them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Lily:

Most nursing homes have at least a few resdients who don't have anyone to visit them on Christmas.  The staff tries to make things festive, I'm sure, but it has to be tough for those who either have no family or have no family close enough to visit.

Contact any nursing home and I'm sure you'll find someone to cheer on the holidays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

Sandwich, that's an excellent idea. Lily, bring A Christmas Carol or another Christmas-themed book and read it aloud to them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

My choirs used to carol at nursing homes.  We would dress up and bring big songbooks, and treat the old peeps to four part harmony on all the old favorites.

It seemed to cheer them up.  :)

Being read to is nice; adults don't get read to a lot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

Here I go being contrary. You can take the kitten out of the Sally, but not the Sally out of the kitten.

I had a long talk with some folks at DCF (Department of Children and Families) last year about volunteering during the holiday season. Not just them, but non-profits are overrun with volunteers and toy and clothing drives during the holiday season: a great thing, yes! But what they really, really need is volunteers during the non-holiday season.

It's a wonderful thing to want to volunteer, and Lily and everyone else, if you do it, I'm giving you the RSPCT! But, the needs of many people tend to go ignored during the summer months.

So I say definitely find a volunteer spot this holiday season. But maybe in July, do it again.

Contrary over.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

In Response to Re: Christmas Eve/Day Volunteer Ideas:
    [QUOTE]Kittens, I get your point.  I do.  I volunteer all year long for a non profit that works primarily with injured soldiers, something I really am passionate about.  (Hot Marine jokes aside).   I can't give money so I give time.  Lots of time. It's just that this year, the holidays stink.  For so many reasons.  For one, Baby McLilz would rather be with his dad's family and i don't blame him - they do the big family party, the siblings are there, etc.  My extended family all does immediate family stuff.  My dad died a year ago and I usually spent holidays with him. Last night when I posted this I was really melancholy.  I miss him.  And if I do the nursing home thing I know I"ll get sucked in.  And end up visiting year round.  Maybe this whole thing is a bad idea and I should just go to the movies instead.
    Posted by Lily87[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry Lily. Now I feel like an oaf.

It's not a bad idea at all. It's a great idea.

Hugs to you. I'm really sorry.

How else wants to volunteer to hug Lily? Can we have a group hug?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

Can we all go to JoCo's house and watch Family Guy?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

It's totally appropriate. I don't know what you are talking about.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

[QUOTE]Kittens, I get your point.  I do.  I volunteer all year long for a non profit that works primarily with injured soldiers, something I really am passionate about.  (Hot Marine jokes aside).   I can't give money so I give time.  Lots of time. It's just that this year, the holidays stink.  For so many reasons.  For one, Baby McLilz would rather be with his dad's family and i don't blame him - they do the big family party, the siblings are there, etc.  My extended family all does immediate family stuff.  My dad died a year ago and I usually spent holidays with him. Last night when I posted this I was really melancholy.  I miss him.  And if I do the nursing home thing I know I"ll get sucked in.  And end up visiting year round.  Maybe this whole thing is a bad idea and I should just go to the movies instead.
    Posted by Lily87[/QUOTE]

--------------------------

I am with you on this. I think any shelter would be happy to have help during the holidays. Depends what you think would be easier on you emotionally.

I do lunches and such stuff at Rosies' Place and have helped out at shelters for City Year. I also volunteered at no-kill animal shelter facilities (yes even animals need love and attention ;))

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Wait, there are cocktails?

My mom loves to go to the movies on Christmas.  It is one of her favorite things to do.  Christmas depresses her.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Call your vet causes, Lilz - they may need help.  Bring doughnuts to the VA on Christmas.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Yeah, never mind.  I'm out.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Here I go being contrary. You can take the kitten out of the Sally, but not the Sally out of the kitten. I had a long talk with some folks at DCF (Department of Children and Families) last year about volunteering during the holiday season. Not just them, but non-profits are overrun with volunteers and toy and clothing drives during the holiday season: a great thing, yes! But what they really, really need is volunteers during the non-holiday season. It's a wonderful thing to want to volunteer, and Lily and everyone else, if you do it, I'm giving you the RSPCT! But, the needs of many people tend to go ignored during the summer months. So I say definitely find a volunteer spot this holiday season. But maybe in July, do it again. Contrary over.
    Posted by kittensmittons[/QUOTE]

I have actually read and even heard a spokesperson on the news say what Sally the Kitten said in her post.   They even went as far as to say that after the holidays, by spring and even summer, they are HURTING for donations and extra volunteers, especially at food shelters. 

So, Lily, if you don't end up volunteering now for a "day" gig on a holiday (other than your regular volunteer time, that sounds awesome for you) make a commitment to see if there's a place to volunteer on  Easter or July 4th. 
    Smile 
    Another idea for now?   Maybe call a local hospital and see if they need any volunteers on Christmas.   They usually have a full volunteer program, but some of the "regulars" might need or want the day off, and you could help fill in.
    And you have plenty of lead time in case you need an orientation (I did some hospital work and they have to be very careful, as you know). 

And the movies on Christmas?  Nothing beats the movies on Christmas.  Serioulsy.  Treat yourself to some new, cozy warm socks to wear, too. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Folkenstein. Show Folkenstein's posts

This is a great thread!

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.