College Degrees

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Re: College Degrees

In Response to Re: College Degrees:
    In Response to College Degrees : Does this correct the format issue?
    Posted by Dreamy Eyes

Yes.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

As a financial investment, no, it doesn't always pay off.  Especially if you don't look forward enough to the after-market to see if there are actually jobs in that field.  Cartooning may be fun, but it's a hard business at which to make a living.

Some fields are excellent at managing the talent pool to assure there is always a need for their services keeping salaries high.  Physical Therapy does a remarkable job at this.  Few students = high demand. 

Some fields require education.  It's not an option.  You don't want your colonoscopy done by someone who took Colon Shop in high school. 

And some people just value education for itself, rather than for what it can return to them financially.  For them the payoff is the education itself. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inter-Planet. Show Inter-Planet's posts

[QUOTE]What the hell is an SW? Didn't they teach you in literature school to tell us what the acronym means before you use it?
    Posted by WrongestWay[/QUOTE]

SW = scuba wench??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from peregrinite. Show peregrinite's posts

You don't want your colonoscopy done by someone who took Colon Shop in high school.

Certainly puts being skilled at the lathe in a new light.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]What the hell is an SW? Didn't they teach you in literature school to tell us what the acronym means before you use it?
    Posted by WrongestWay[/QUOTE]

Social worker, or social work. It's in the o/p.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

That wasn't Schlippo. It was Wrongie.

Congrats on your chapbook!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGal109. Show BostonGal109's posts

Wow a social worker that makes $60,000? That is actually very impressive. I'd like to know where they are hiring.

I think so many people want to go to college that so many crappy colleges have opened. A BA from Southern Western Middle Maine University Online is a waste of money. People should go into the field they have talent/interest in and therefore can excel. For some people that is academia, others is a skilled labor. Pick what works best for you, and not falling under societal's pressures because you'll end up wasting 4 years, and $100,000.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

You know whats a waste of money? Women who spend all that money going to school, only to just get married right after they graduate and only work two years at most. That is pretty much every wife here.

then again, maybe it was money well spent because that is apparently also how they meet their husbands.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ygren. Show ygren's posts

You know whats a waste of money? Women who spend all that money going to school, only to just get married right after they graduate and only work two years at most. That is pretty much every wife here. Posted by Jeepers-Cripes

Really? [and I am serious, not challenging] It's typical? I know it was in my mother's day, but that wasn't the pattern with the overwhelming majority of my peers.

I got married in 1974 and have been working full-time since January 1976. Not without any breaks, but they haven't been frequent and the longest was ~4 months. 

And while I did spend some money on my university education - before, during and after marrying - most of it was financed with scholarships, grants, and fellowship.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ygren. Show ygren's posts

And I met my husband when my chair broke at a Neil Young concert. But yes, he was a student.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Welcome to my world that is the  1% ygren.
    last guy I worked for her met his wife at Yale, both students. Another guy here met his wife at Harvard, another at Northeastern, yet another at BC, and another at Dartmouth. The average time spent employed for the MRS, 1.5 years. once the babies came, work stopped. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

For the record, I am pushing JR to college, and a top tier college. 

Sections
Shortcuts