College Degrees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Re: College Degrees

Seanz, I think I brought up before the whole scam in the college thing. While yes, you should absolutely go to school if you want a specialized study, the whole Bachelors Degree thing is becoming a bit archaic, to me. A lot of what you learn in the first couple of years in college, you can learn in HS. There was some study done how the stats of kids going to school to become lawyers and how many actually get law degrees and after that how many actually get work in their field. Medicine is the same way.

During school, I had an internship at a company that manufactured the air intake valves for the Northstar system. Mind you, I was the only 21 year old working the line and the only one with any sort of secondary education. It was hard work, manual labor. But it was awesome. And they make very good money too. Now, why wont anyone work there? Because they dont want to get their hands dirty? They want the nice cushy offices that Wall St showed us?

What is wrong with getting these kids in HS, teaching them a skilled labor job. Having them take classes for two years, get certified and then work. Associates degree has become like a dirty word.

I think the issue it two-fold, companies are very particular about who they hire. They want a 4 year degree, minimum. (some dont even care the major, they just want to know you went for 4 years) Even for a job like mine. Which is crazy. HS degree and a couple years for a certificate seem adequate to me. So kids are taught that they HAVE to go to college. Trust me, I am right there pushing Jr to go to college, because you have to have a degree to get any kind of decent job. If he can even get a job. But you are further down the list or completely excluded all together if you dont even have a degree. So companies should look at more the person, than the degree. But then there are so many people applying, how you do manage the mass? By creating some min requirement, like a 4 year degree. That isnt to say that people that dont have degrees cant get decent jobs. I am a fine example of having half a brain can still get you work.

The whole system needs an overhaul. I dont know when it started that you have to have a degree to have a decent job, the 70's? its a tough situation in general. Pros and cons for each side. I dont know that there is an answer out there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

I think you would be surprised jkjband. Esp in my industry. I see it a lot. There were 3 EA's at my company that only applied here so they could hook up with an assoc and be set for life. I am not saying it happens everywhere, but yes, it does happen. My other boss's wife admitted to me that she only went to Dartmouth to meet someone. Of course, she LOVES her husband, but her intentions were not honorable in her application process.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Thats the difference. At least they went and did something else. Not that I am knocking being a stay-at-home mom. As one, I can attest to the difficultness, however, I didnt need an Industrial Design degree to do it. (and before you jump on that, I know I didnt finish, I was making a point)

So we can agree to disagree. I think its a complete waste of time, energy and funds to go to school with the intention of becoming a MRS. They should bring back finishing schools (though there is one in CT, of course).

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Educated moms are statistically associated with higher birthweight babies, increased breast feeding, lower rates of obesity and higher educational success for their children.  Seems like a good deal for the kids. 

Disclaimer - This is not to say uneducated moms are bad moms (actually HS grad moms have kids with higher vaccination rates than educated moms).  Nor does it say that educated moms are universally perfect.  Some statistics may stick to certain types of skin. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Yes, I did.  Race trumps education.  Interesting but sad. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: College Degrees:
    [QUOTE]You obv dont get my comment Sally- so I would appreciate the jabs to stop. You ARE using your degree, you write dont you? You submit work, dont you? You post on a blog and attempt to be witty and creative, dont you? You arent a married housewife shopping at Barneys all day and visiting the spa twice a week, with an engineering degree, are you? That was my point. Some kid who really wanted to be an engineer was cut from a particular school because that slot happened to be filled by someone who really was more interested in her MRS than designing new roads and bridges or cars or whatever.
    Posted by Jeepers-Cripes[/QUOTE]

You should ask kargiver about this. Seriously. A math major who worked as an engineer for a decade plus, then became a housewife as soon as she received the green light for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Although I think she spends more time baking than she does shopping. She doesn't seem materialistic - not all housewives are.

My Mum parlayed her history degree into raising children and painting. The she went for an MLS and worked outside the home until she could work no more. And I don't think she ever set foot in a high-end department store.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most practical reason of all why a woman might want a degree even if she goes in knowing that she plans to be a housewife/stay at home mom....what if the marriage ends suddenly either by divorce or death? It is never a bad idea to have a backup plan so you know that if life doesn't go according to plan you'll be able to take care of yourself and your children.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

My mom used her education degree to raise four kids.  I was reading by the age of four.  Not a wasted degree in my opinion.  And, when my dad died at the age of 43, she had a backup plan and hit the ground running.  

And you could argue that an MRS degree is the only one that does pay off!  Never work again.  Swimming pools, movie stars.  ;)  

And it might not have been the MRS that stole the engineering spot; it could have been any one of the other 100 students in the class.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Educated moms are statistically associated with higher birthweight babies, increased breast feeding, lower rates of obesity and higher educational success for their children.  Seems like a good deal for the kids.  

Well we know there are statistics to meet every side of every view. So take it with a grain of salt.

My son was born perfect, breastfed and is an ubber bright,  straight A student. He was reading to his pre-k class at 3.5, doing simple math at 2.  All that with a mom that doesnt have a college degree. You dont need a degree to teach your children. So I dont know if that is what you are trying to say but its misleading to even suggest that you have to have a degree to raise bright children. 

And before I get really insulted and pissed off at the suggestion. I am done.

I stand by what I said and with the SPECIFIC group of women I am referring to.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Like I said, I was referring to a specific group of women, so you want to generalize my comment, enjoy.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]Some kid who really wanted to be an engineer was cut from a particular school because that slot happened to be filled by someone who really was more interested in her MRS than designing new roads and bridges or cars or whatever.
    Posted by Jeepers-Cripes[/QUOTE]

In the 60's that was the attitude of a lot of med schools - why waste all that specialized and important education on a woman when she's just going to get married and stop practicing?  Thankfully the med schools got over that attitude.

I haven't heard of this happening in engineering schools.  I have, however, heard of it happening in b-schools :P  And it drives the women are really are there to get a degree for their jobs up the wall.  I had a convo once with a PhD candidate who was bs that people were asking her, "Why are you in grad school?  You've already got a husband."  I hope the women shopping for their MRS are few, but they do make it harder for women and men who are serious about their education and who plan on using it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]...the whole Bachelors Degree thing is becoming a bit archaic, to me. A lot of what you learn in the first couple of years in college, you can learn in HS. Posted by Jeepers-Cripes[/QUOTE]

We have degree inflation going on, and not just in tuition costs.  As more people get Bachelor's Degrees, the less special it becomes. So now a BA/BS is the new high school diploma.  And the same thing is happening with an MBA. An MBA is becoming more of a requirement in the financial field if you want to move ahead, and for some positions, an MBA isn't enough.  They want you to have a CFA [Chartered Financcial Analyst designation] in addition to an MBA.  In some instances the extra knowledge probably is useful, but I suspect in many cases it's really just so the company can brag about its highly qualified employees:

John Smith is a Senior Staff at the Firm.  He has a total of 15 years in the industry managing widgets and analyzing their cost functions.  Blah blah blah...

Mr. Smith is a CFA and holds an MBA from Prestige University.  He has a BS in Navel Gazing Mathematics from Elite College.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

No Jeeps, not what I was trying to say, only that education is not wasted on moms (or dads). 

Agree with Two-Cent on the degree inflation, some folks in various fields have more letters AFTER their names than IN their names!!!  And the cost inflation of a college degree is unreal.  Way outpacing the rate of inflation and exponentially outpacing the ability of the middle class to keep up. 

I think my mom paid like $500 a semester in the 60s, I paid 3k in the 80s, and now it's what?  25k?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/what-is-college-for/

(SFW)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

I won't lie.. I'm honestly thinking of leaving my systems analyst position to work in retail or do something with plants/animals.

Will my pay cut be slashed? sure it will.. will my life style change? of course.. will I like what I'm doing? It's my goal... if you love what you do, you can make the money or lackthereof work..

I can't stand corporate america anymore. blech.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4354603. Show user_4354603's posts

[QUOTE]I won't lie.. I'm honestly thinking of leaving my systems analyst position to work in retail or do something with plants/animals. Will my pay cut be slashed? sure it will.. will my life style change? of course.. will I like what I'm doing? It's my goal... if you love what you do, you can make the money or lackthereof work.. I can't stand corporate america anymore. blech.
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL[/QUOTE]

You know, I've actually thought about that.  I worked in a retail storeroom, that was easily the best job I've ever had.