College Degrees

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Re: College Degrees

Don't mock me simply because I haven't had the good fortune to have a novel published yet.

I corrected for you Sally-

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Well Quetie, they werent rich before they married up. Some were from comfortable families, I wouldnt say rich. And we have had 5 or 6 EA's marry up as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I don't understand why getting a degree and later becoming a stay at home mom is a waste of money. That's what I want out of my life.

I have a master's degree and a job now, but I look forward to getting married and when I have kids, if finances permit, I want to stay home with them. I have long proclaimed my desire to be an over-educated stay at home mom. 

I would never consider my degree a waste of money, I gained more from it than can be measured in whatever my future employment history may contain. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: College Degrees:
    Education is subjective, unless you want to be a Doctor or Lawyer (or anyhting else that requires "board certification". Otherwise, it is all a "what you make of it" scenario.  I've known more than one multi-millionaire, who barely made it out of HS - nevermind a degree.  You would be shocked at the job I hold, despite having barely half of the education demanded on the internal job description. Now if the kid wants to get a degree in Art History, they just need a good 1940's movie beotch slap!
    Posted by QuetiePie

Oops! (Art history major here.)

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ygren. Show ygren's posts

While I agree that there are a lot of jobs that do NOT require the education they ask for [I've had a few myself], I can't agree that getting an education is a waste of money.

After getting my BSCivE/Medieval History, I found that there were many things I wanted to learn more about. In some cases I could study on my own. Some I could learn from friends or co-workers. But some required me to apply for grants and register to study with someone I wanted to learn from. So I did.

There are many things I have learned, that have enriched my life, that have not brought me financial gain. I cannot regret them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

OMG people, relax. I am refering to a specific group of women. It was sarcasm.

But yes, I do think its a waste of time and money to go to school to become a Dr, lets say, get through all the training and whtever, to only end up staying home and raising babies. Why? Because you took someone's spot that probably really wanted to be a Dr. So to that end, its a complete waste.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

A lot of things in life end up with "nothing to show for it".  It doesn't mean it's not worth doing.  We all leave with nothing anyway, so if education is what you want, go for it.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure what it is I'm suppose to "show" for having earned a degree. Why do I have to show anyone anything? Getting an education is a personal choice, as much choosing or not choosing to have a child.
    Posted by Sally-[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ygren. Show ygren's posts

[QUOTE]OMG people, relax. I am refering to a specific group of women. It was sarcasm. Posted by Jeepers-Cripes[/QUOTE]

Oh I hope this wasn't directed at me, as I'm certainly not bent out of shape by your comments.

Certainly I didn't recognise your sarcasm, so I was curious about your perspective and shared mine.

My later comment was not directed to you at all, but rather random musings on the initial premise that we are over-educating and having nothing to show for it. If the purpose of education is to reap financial reward, the premise is supportable. If the aim is to know, then not so much.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Its funny to me how many people come out of the woodwork here to brag about the degrees they have. If its a personal choice to get one great. I am not knocking going to school and getting a degree. good for you. Hang that paper proudly in the nursery.

I stand by what I said. its a waste for those specific women to go to school only to obtain their MRS. You are taking the spot of someone who could really use it.

On that note, me and my 142 IQ are done with this conversation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ygren. Show ygren's posts

I think my diploma is in a box in the cellar, if it made the trip up from Texas at all.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

My dog got thrown out of that class ......

..... excessive humping
    They made us feel like it was a reflection of how he was being raised.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

That Betty Draper sure got married quickly, just a couple of years after being awarded her anthropology degree from the fine Bryn Mawr.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts