College Degrees

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: College Degrees

In Response to Re: College Degrees:
    [QUOTE]BTW, I'm not against anyone getting any kind of degree they want. As long as you can pay for it, then have at it. Whether you pay in cash, someone else pays or you payoff your student loans yourself. It's the kids who go into massive debt and then find out they'll struggle the rest of their lives to pay that debt that I'm talking about. As I said when I started this thread, If you're a parent and your kids are reaching college age I hope you'll have an honest discussion with them about this.
    Posted by Dreamy Eyes[/QUOTE]

So your saying those who can't afford it should not get a degree.  Doesn't that kind of place a ball and chain around there neck as far as their life of employment goes.  Statistics show that a person who does not have a degree ends up Millions of $$$ short than one that does. 

So an investment of less than $150,000 now, could/should end up with a very large return.  And I'm not talking about salaries just out of school but advancement in the long run.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]JKJ, did you read the article I linked in the first post? A degree is not a guarantee of anything anymore.
    Posted by Dreamy Eyes[/QUOTE]

That may be true, but not having one is pretty sure to guarantee a lifetime of lower management at best and blue collar more often than not.  It shuts down a lot of avenues of opportunity

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]Ergo, I'm a poet not a driller.
    Posted by Sally-[/QUOTE]

NO seriously, why do you tempt me (I'm week) and leave wide open the driller/poet double entendre jokes?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I own an excavation company (digger of ditches) and the industry has changed.  To become a foreman one needs a degree these days.  At least in the better companies. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]Because I'm a POET Jake. It's my talent to juxtapose the words and the syntax.
    Posted by Sally-[/QUOTE]

You can juxtapose my syntax any time. (I work construction, it's my job to try to make any statement dirty)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

No it's true.  Simply to please an insurance co, and keep ones rates down.  They want to see people with the degree working for you.  They offer an incentive of lower rates which allows you to be a little bit cheaper in your bids, getting you work when others don't.  So even if I wanted to hire someone whom I know to be competent I have to look at the whole picture and how it fits in.   And the industry is heading deeper into this way of doing business.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I read the article, I just disagree with it; you can flip burgers with a law degree, you can't practice law with only years experience of working at McDonald's. 

The middle class will/does need a degree to get ahead today.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

The fact that a lot of unskilled jobs go unfilled, doesn't necessarily mean that a college education is wasted.  Six/ half dozen. 

Not everyone wants an unskilled job. 

They may pay more than a social worker, but when you get injured or your body wears out, what then?  Like professional sports, you had better have a backup plan, Bubba.

Many of those jobs, there's no clear way in.  You have to know someone's uncle's brother's cousin to even hear about them.  

Some paths have really good marketing campaigns -- like higher education or the military, neither of which will guarantee that you have marketable skills when you get out. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I may be somewhat tainted in this discussion, I am shelling out big bucks as we speak for my oldest kid to get one of those worthless pieces of paper that you are talking about.  With another one just 2 years behind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think it's ever been a guarantee. The only guarantee to achievement is hard work. At least that's what my dad always told me. He has an associates degree in construction engineering and worked as a project manager most of his life until he took an early retirement at age 55. He made a lot of money, got out before the economy tanked, invested (well, my mother and her wasted degree held the purse strings--she did the investing) well and then took a part time job as a special education teacher.
    Posted by Sally-[/QUOTE]

Isnt that nice? However you dont need a degree to hold the purse strings, a wedding band works very nicely. Though you do need a degree/certification to teach SPED, or at least you do now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

You obv dont get my comment Sally- so I would appreciate the jabs to stop.

You ARE using your degree, you write dont you? You submit work, dont you? You post on a blog and attempt to be witty and creative, dont you? You arent a married housewife shopping at Barneys all day and visiting the spa twice a week, with an engineering degree, are you?

That was my point. Some kid who really wanted to be an engineer was cut from a particular school because that slot happened to be filled by someone who really was more interested in her MRS than designing new roads and bridges or cars or whatever.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]You obv dont get my comment Sally- so I would appreciate the jabs to stop. You ARE using your degree, you write dont you? You submit work, dont you? You post on a blog and attempt to be witty and creative, dont you? You arent a married housewife shopping at Barneys all day and visiting the spa twice a week, with an engineering degree, are you? That was my point. Some kid who really wanted to be an engineer was cut from a particular school because that slot happened to be filled by someone who really was more interested in her MRS than designing new roads and bridges or cars or whatever.
    Posted by Jeepers-Cripes[/QUOTE]

Do you really think that happens allot.  I think that there is a plan and it may get sidetracked.  I don't think that all that many people go into college with the plan of just getting married.