Does anybody like Al Roker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Re: Does anybody like Al Roker?

Eddie's smart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarketSurfer. Show MarketSurfer's posts

I don't know why anybody likes TV newz or watches TV newz
    It sucks, I don't watch it, non of it. . .
    I am happier without all the depressing sh!t that makes for sensationalism and reporter hyperbole.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowerCord. Show PowerCord's posts

Rob,

I feel like I need to point out that Al Roker is a weatherman, not a comedian or a role model or a figure-head.
    He points at the map and says, "It's raining here, but not here and windy over there and snowing up in here."
    That's about all he really does.

Here's what's happening in your neck of the woods......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowerCord. Show PowerCord's posts

Pete Bouchard on the other hand is entertaining.

9 inches!  Riiiiight....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Does anybody like Al Roker?:
    [QUOTE]The thing about Willard Scott that used to get me was how he'd introduce a person's birthday and say "What a beautiful young lady" and she'd be 105 or something. Not that I'm ageist or against complimenting very very aged folks on their birthdays, but it used to strike me as pretty condescending.
    Posted by Green-Mountain-Views[/QUOTE]

Lord, how I hate when someone addresses me as "young lady." Why don't they just say "Hello, Ms. 52-and-You're-Only-Getting Older"? I tell them "you can call me by my first name," and that works, but the damage has already been done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

I get tired of people asking me how long I can stay fresh in this can.
    Or if I'm past my expiration date.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Al Roker is presently interviewing some very lovely older women from Nebraska who like to bowl - the "Nebraska Bowling Chicks."

I shall periodically be giving Al Roker updates.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sexual-chocolate. Show sexual-chocolate's posts

I agree that Al Roker is a zero. The rest of that show with Matt Lauer, Meridith Viera stinks too.  They are just terrible interviewers/personalities.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

I'm with MarketSurfer - I don't bother with TV news these days.  There was an article in the Memphis Flyer (their alternative newsweekly) about 15 years ago that basically described TV news broadcasts as "guns and bunnies" - which is to say, lots of stories regarding horrific violence and crime on the rise, then fluffy little human-interest stories or empty celebrity gossip.  I felt that pretty well summed it up; honestly good news never seemed (seems) to make the cut, but then again, good news isn't sexy.  And the rest is presented as so much sensationalism - "HOW YOUR DINNER IS KILLING YOU!!!!  Story at 11." - that turns out to be, as Shakespeare wrote, "sound and fury, signifying nothing." 

Tends to be why I prefer NPR these days - everything's a bit more in its correct proportion/perspective there.  And they don't treat the listening audience like imbeciles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

Oh, yeah, and I agree with Eddie, too.  Imus' comment was offensive, but for Al Roker to excoriate him for it and then turn around and make a similarly offensive comment about epileptics?  Isn't that the pot calling the kettle "handicapped"?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Does anybody like Al Roker?:
    [QUOTE]I agree that Al Roker is a zero. The rest of that show with Matt Lauer, Meridith Viera stinks too.  They are just terrible interviewers/personalities.   
    Posted by sexual-chocolate[/QUOTE]

Well, at least Meredith Viera is leaving. :) And that Couric woman, too.

I don't like Robin Roberts - too touchy-feely for a broadcaster, for me. When Walter Cronkite was weepy when President Kennedy died, I felt that was different than Robin's tears at just about everything. Ann Curry - smart, but soft. And what's with the morning shows being all about the Prince's wedding, anyway? I mean, no more than one generation back, I have English ancestry, but the Prince is two, not one, step away from being King. Why is the Today show going all "damn the torpedoes" with its coverage of this wedding?

I'm following Wolfie to the NPR entrance. But I'l stick around just for Sundays at 10:30 am, for Bob Schieffer, one of the last shoe-leather TV journalists.