Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it?

I haven't seen it, because I have children .... No time too do anything, nor money either

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I haven't seen the movie, though I did read the book.  If you're asking if I loved or hated the book, the simple answer is:

Yes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Haven't read the book. Have seen the movie. Neither loved nor hated it. I'm not knocking them, but I don't relate well to eastern philosophies, so I couldn't get invested in the movie.  I usually like Julia Roberts, but I don't think this was her best acting job and I'd have liked to see someone younger and hungrier in the role. Also, she seems botoxed...she used to have such an expressive face. The actor, I forget his name, who called her "Groceries" is one of my faves, though and I always enjoy him.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Hate Juia Roberts. DESPISE Julia Roberts.

The book was a little too precious. This woman had resources available to her that most people I bet don't. She's also made an industry out of it.

Worst chick flick of the new century.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The book I found was well-written enough that I read it all the way through to the end.  It had some interesting passages and a few thought-provoking moments.

But the whole me-me-me element was annoying -- okay, I know it's a memoir, but still Gilbert's navel-gazing was really over-the-top.  The beginning of the book about the falling apart of her marriage was vague, I guess to protect the innocent, but it felt like she was leaving out most of the parts that would make us really hate her -- her side of the story to the extreme, where you had no feel for this other very important party, her soon-to-be-ex husband.  The Italy part was enjoyable, and then the next two parts once again wallowed in self-congratulatory stuff.  "I'm so enlightened.  Don't you wish you were me?"

That's the long version of my "yes" answer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Sandwich and Reindeer, you've touched on the self-centered aspects of the story in a way I saw but couldn't describe. I agree. Also, as a person who's gone through periods without basic needs being met I sometimes find it hard to relate to people who are having a spiritual crisis but have talent, food, money and so on. It's not that it's a wrong or useless story, it's that I can't relate very well. Probably I could learn a lot about personal growth if I did think more about the meaning of life, but the movie didn't take me there. Also, I gave up thinking a man would complete me a long long time ago. There was a little review in (I think it was yesterday's paper) the Globe about a study of risk takers and it points to people who were poor as children growing up to be more avid risk takers because they feel they have less to lose and people who grow up fairly secure being really afraid to take risks. The main character comes across like the latter to me, as someone who is almost afraid of change and then is so desperate that she forces herself to get out and take risk. That I admire about her very much. I think I will read the book. Sorry this is so long :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

Saw the movie.  Didn't hate it but didn't love it.  I saw the author on Oprah a couple of times & I wasn't impressed with her either. 

I usually love Julia Roberts (sorry reindeergirl) but I agree with GMV. Not her finest moments of acting plus the fact that she always looked gorgeous & well dressed for someone who wanted to simplify her life. 

And yes, I hated the me me me attitude.... give me a break & really, how many people can afford to to take off a year to travel the world to find ones self?  Most of us deal with the negativity in our lives in 'normal' ways.

Very unrealistic in my humble opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Elizabeth Gilbert was able to afford to travel for a year because she convinced a publisher to buy the book before she started the trip.  So it was more of a pre-paid travelogue than a memoir.

And it does make you wonder how the fact that she knew that everything she did was fodder for her book colored all her experiences.

Probably would have been a different, and perhaps better, book if she hadn't had a product she needed to produce from the experience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

Haven't seen it, not interested.  I did hear, on NPR, an interview with the author; she said she wasn't planning on seeing the movie, since it would be a little too surreal to watch someone else playing her.  My wife watched the movie on Netflix recently - I seem to recall she found it rather annoying.  Still amuses me that it was being considered the "ultimate" chick flick and got its theatrical release on the same weekend as the "ultimate" guy movie ("The Expendables").  Ah, Hollywood marketing...heh. :-)

Also, I recall hearing somewhere that Julia Roberts so enjoyed being in India for that part of the movie that she was seriously getting into the Hindu faith.  The white memsahib going native?  Krishna help us all...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it?:
    [QUOTE]Also, I recall hearing somewhere that Julia Roberts so enjoyed being in India for that part of the movie that she was seriously getting into the Hindu faith.  The white memsahib going native?  Krishna help us all...
    Posted by redwolf68[/QUOTE]

Red, are you serious??  Look at your avatar.

Julia Roberts wouldn't be the first white person interested in Hinduism and the far east.

:)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Hate Juia Roberts. DESPISE Julia Roberts. Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you, reindeergirl.  I avoid any movies she is in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nice-guy-eddie. Show nice-guy-eddie's posts

I would rather be pickled in homeless urine than read the book or watch the movie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

You all hit on the more salient points of why I felt ho-hum about the book and liked the movie even less; the me-orientation, disingenuousness about her financial independence, and the spin used to polish off her tarnish.

I read the book for a book group and what has stuck with me most is a story one of the women shared with us.

In her 20's, Dee traveled extensively and spent some time in India.  While there she visited and stayed at an ashram.  She ate a communal meal which she didn't particularly enjoy but ate anyway trying to keep an open mind.

After the meal, as they were touring the buildings she passed an open door and looked in.  She said there was a huge tub filled with water.  Sitting in the tub were monks - washing dishes.  Presumably the ones she had just eaten off of.  eewww!  She got quite ill later that evening.  She admitted it could've been mind over matter, but she said her experience definitely colored her appreciation of the book.  For me, her story was the highlight of our discussion!    

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

I did hesitate about posting the story.  Wasn't trying to paint with a broad brush.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE] In her 20's, Dee traveled extensively and spent some time in India.  While there she visited and stayed at an ashram.  She ate a communal meal which she didn't particularly enjoy but ate anyway trying to keep an open mind. After the meal, as they were touring the buildings she passed an open door and looked in.  She said there was a huge tub filled with water.  Sitting in the tub were monks - washing dishes.  Presumably the ones she had just eaten off of.  eewww!  She got quite ill later that evening.  She admitted it could've been mind over matter, but she said her experience definitely colored her appreciation of the book.  For me, her story was the highlight of our discussion!    
    Posted by -callie[/QUOTE]

Geeez, this sounds like that Seinfeld episode where Kramer put the garbage disposal in his shower, washed the salad and served it to his company.  They all got sick in the end too!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it? : Geeez, this sounds like that Seinfeld episode where Kramer put the garbage disposal in his shower, washed the salad and served it to his company.  They all got sick in the end too!
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

I love it, chazz! Great episode!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

I love the monks washing dishes story. There's an old saying about eating a peck of dirt before you die and I supposed germs get included in that. Still, sometimes there can be too much information ;-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

Didnt read the book but I saw the movie. Neither loved it nor hated it.

I was disappointed. It was OK at best, mediocre.

I do have childre. I don't see what having children has to do with loving or hating Eat, Pray, Love?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it? : Geeez, this sounds like that Seinfeld episode where Kramer put the garbage disposal in his shower, washed the salad and served it to his company.  They all got sick in the end too!
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

haha ... I remember this episode chazz.  Another classic.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

[QUOTE]I love the monks washing dishes story. There's an old saying about eating a peck of dirt before you die and I supposed germs get included in that. Still, sometimes there can be too much information ;-)
    Posted by Green-Mountain-Views[/QUOTE]

It's the visual of it that got me.  But I'll take a pass on the dirt-eating all the same :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it? : I wanted to see if there was a correlation.  My theory is that Moms would tend to view the main character as selfish.  Women who hit midlife without children might relate better to her story
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick[/QUOTE]

Ahhh.  That's an interesting hypothesis, CHC.

I'm a mom, and I didn't see the main character as selfish, just self-absorbed.  Taking off for a year is fine.  Telling the world every detail of that trip is kinda annoying -- or at least I found the book to be for long stretches.

Sections
Shortcuts