Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it?

In Response to Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it?:
    [QUOTE]Blame it on the snow.  I'm bored so I started a poll
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick[/QUOTE]

I didn't see the movie... I refuse to see it. The book was long, drawn out and boring. I also don't particularly like the "I am woman hear me roar" type books.. I don't like using the excuse of "I'm a woman and I never took the time to do the things I wanted to because I was too busy doing the things I thought I was supposd to do".. bullshnit... men don't do a lot of things they want to do either but you don't hear them writing books about it... make it A sexual, I might've enjoyed it a little more.. okay that's a lie

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it? : I didn't see the movie... I refuse to see it. The book was long, drawn out and boring. I also don't particularly like the "I am woman hear me roar" type books.. I don't like using the excuse of "I'm a woman and I never took the time to do the things I wanted to because I was too busy doing the things I thought I was supposd to do".. bullshnit... men don't do a lot of things they want to do either but you don't hear them writing books about it... make it A sexual, I might've enjoyed it a little more.. okay that's a lie
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL[/QUOTE]

The two frontwomen of Fleetwood Mac - Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks - have both blamed being in a band as robbing them of having children. (They both seem like fantastic aunts, though.) For them I have one word: nanny.

Plenty of people have challenging careers, and they still manage to have families of their own. I just viewed the McVie/Nicks comments as yet another example of "We baby boomer women have it tougher than anyone else."

I adore the music of those two singer/songwriters. I don't adore their blame of others for what they wanted to do, have children. They could have hired child-care help; they could have home-schooled their children so that they could take their families with them on the road. What a great education for a child!

So, I'm agreeing with you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Saw the movie, didn't read the book.
    Didn't hate it, but disliked it more than I liked it.
    Maybe because I'm a guy, but it seemed to me that the whole point of the story was for her to go find herself and be happy with who she is, yet doesn't seem like she was really happy until the hunky latin lover fell for her.
    Then she was able to exercise her "power" by telling him to go away, she didn't need anyone--and the she goes running back to him after realizing she really did need him.
    Story of self-realization would have been much more powerful if he didn't take her back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

Wow TinMan - I think you hit on what I didn't like about the movie. I wish I could have put it into those words.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goldie31. Show Goldie31's posts

I loathed both the book and the movie.  As someone who lived in Italy for a year about 6 months after my divorce (not on purpose; it just happened that way), everyone told me I'd love this book, but I found the author's writing style to be insufferable.  I couldn't make it past the Italy part.  I think self-actualization is a wonderful thing, but it's extremely annoying/boring to read.  How many people have done this and look what they managed to bring to the table.  She brought nothing new to the experience that I felt needed to be penned.  Hell, I had the same thoughts/experiences in Italy but I didn't feel the need to turn it into a book.

Also, I feel Julia Roberts had a unique opportunity with this film and she blew it.  The whole Italy part was about her going there to eat and learn the language.  So wouldn't it have been wonderful had she actually, ohIdunno, spoken Italian for the whole segment?  Non-American actors come here and make films in English, not knowing the language, and they manage to pull it off, but she only did a few lines (and she did them well).  The one scene where the actors spoke in Italian and she in English drove me to distraction.  I dunno, maybe I take this too seriously, but for a woman who earns $20 million a film, she could've put a little more effort into it, not to mention she would've gotten some more respect internationally rather than staying the "mediocre" American path for which we're somewhat known for abroad.  Plus, the fact that she "fell in love" in the end negated the whole "finding herself" part, sending a strong message that, in the end, true happiness is found only through someone else.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aMisc.+MusingsForum%3a602029a1-691d-488e-8831-8fb0e0727448Discussion%3acbd24816-37f1-4527-bb7d-f64e857a8771&plckFindPostKey=Cat:Misc. MusingsForum:602029a1-691d-488e-8831-8fb0e0727448Discussion:cbd24816-37f1-4527-bb7d-f64e857a8771Post:b64c11b0-cec5-44f9-b637-822583c5c839">Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it?:
     Plus, the fact that she "fell in love" in the end negated the whole "finding herself" part, sending a strong message that, in the end, true happiness is found only through someone else.
    Posted by Goldie31[/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------
    Glad it wasn't just Will-Dearborn and me.
    I was beginning to think it was a guy reaction to a chick-flick.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree with the interpretation of the ending. The book begins with the author in a dysfunctional relationship with a guy that doesn't respect her that she can't pull herself away from.  She is addicted to being with SOMEONE - even if it's the wrong one. Through Italy and India she is single.  Presumably, by the time she gets to Bali, she is healed and happy on her own.  And that's when love finds her.  Isn't that the story that all of us single gals tell ourselves?  Don't find love to be happy.  Be happy and love will come along.
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick[/QUOTE]
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Only saw the movie, so maybe it was more clear on the book. 
    But, in the film, I kinda missed the part where she was "healed and happy on her own".  Seemed to me she wasn't really happy until she had the guy.
    And I note that in your comment above, even you wrote "presumably" she was healed and happy.
    So, did you get from either the book or the movie that she actually was healed and happy by that time, or are you just making an assumption?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

This makes me wonder.
    I know some people that are loners, and completely happy to be so.  Others, even though they are content, seem not quite complete or truly happy until they have that special someone with them.

Is this really about how we were raised and socialized, or are people just wired in certain ways?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

This is where I totally disagree with you CHC. You're painting everyone with the same brush. You can't say that just because you and everyone you know is a certain way that everybody everywhere is that same way. I think in general the species is wired that way (if not humans would have died out long ago). Not everyone needs lovers & friends. There is such a thing as the perennial bachelor (or bachelorette). It may be a very small minority but some people CAN be truly happy without a SO in their lives. There are some people that just don't want that. Some people are much happier without the complications of other humans in their lives.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it? : Red, are you serious??  Look at your avatar. Julia Roberts wouldn't be the first white person interested in Hinduism and the far east. :)
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know, Sandwich - if it weren't for George Harrison, there'd probably not have been such an interest in integrating the sitar into rock 'n' roll.  But Julia Roberts?  I'd have pegged her as the last Hollywood persona to get interested in that stuff! :-o

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it? : The two frontwomen of Fleetwood Mac - Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks - have both blamed being in a band as robbing them of having children. (They both seem like fantastic aunts, though.) For them I have one word: nanny. Plenty of people have challenging careers, and they still manage to have families of their own. I just viewed the McVie/Nicks comments as yet another example of "We baby boomer women have it tougher than anyone else." I adore the music of those two singer/songwriters. I don't adore their blame of others for what they wanted to do, have children. They could have hired child-care help; they could have home-schooled their children so that they could take their families with them on the road. What a great education for a child! So, I'm agreeing with you.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

That's as may be, RDG - some folks just aren't wired to juggle both career and family.  But I agree, you can't blame others for the path you choose to take in life.  As to touring musicians taking their families on the road, it works for some; for others, it's a logistical nightmare (and for many male musicians, especially rock 'n' rollers, it can be awfully hard to resist the temptations offered by groupies - a fresh face every night, dressed all sexy, telling you how much she loves you and what your music means to her?).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Eat Pray Love. Love it or Hate it? : Yes, I know, Sandwich - if it weren't for George Harrison, there'd probably not have been such an interest in integrating the sitar into rock 'n' roll.  But Julia Roberts?  I'd have pegged her as the last Hollywood persona to get interested in that stuff! :-o
    Posted by redwolf68[/QUOTE]

Well, gee, Red, I don't know Julia Roberts personally, so I have no idea what she would be interested in.  ;-)

I'm not a fan -- nor am I a detractor -- just feel that any info we get about celebrities is such a small fraction of who they really are that I'm not sure we can draw too many conclusions about their spiritual lives.

With the possible exception of Charlie Sheen.  I'd feel more confident saying that I don't picture him spending months at an ashram.  ;-P  Too much emphasis on "Winning!" to fit in with the Hindus.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from truegrit2. Show truegrit2's posts

Stupid movie with ridiculous, predictable plot.  We all know those women don't eat! Just an excuse to get Julia back on the screen.  Border-line hate her, too.

"I would rather be pickled in homeless urine than read the book or watch the movie."  That may be the wiser choice, nice-guy...