Favorite Romantic Holiday Song

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Favorite Romantic Holiday Song

Hi, all!  Thought it would be interesting to read about what songs most speak to the romantic in you at this time of year.

My favorite romantic holiday song is "What are you doing New Year's", especially as sung by Ella Fitzgerald.  (Her "A Swinging Christmas" is my favorite holiday album.)

I also really like another song which is not actually a Christmas song, despite the title:  "You Make It Christmas".  It references many holidays actually, along the lines of with you "every day is Christmas; every night is New Year's Eve". 

It's a cheerful song, yet it makes me cry every time I hear it, because of the context.  This song was sung by Betty Buckley in the A&E show "Remember WENN".  In the show, BB's character had suddenly lost her husband, who was the owner of the radio station.  BB was so understandably distraught, that (if I remember correctly) she wanted to sell the station, and she also did not want them to play any holiday songs, because it was too distressing for her to hear.  Over the course of the episode, the people at the station got her to change her mind, and she sings this song.  But, the song is unbearably sad, because she is singing about the true and deep love she'd had with her husband.  I get a little weepy just thinking about it now -- Buckley just did an amazing job with that part and with the song. 

You can find it at:  http://www.rupertholmes.com/home_12282004.html

Anyway, please share your favorite songs!  I'd love to hear about them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

Re: Favorite Romantic Holiday Song

Hi EES,
    Maybe not so romantic, but what always seems to bring a tear to my eye is Judy Garland singing 'have yourself a merry little christmas'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4lY8Y3eoo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Right now i want to answer with "It Snowed" by Meaghan Smith.  I heard this for the first time recently and have been pretty much obsessed with it since.  It isn't really a Christmas song at all, and I'm not even sure if it's romantic or if I just have a crush on her.  But it's a great song, enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRjhJ_oWUPs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Thanks, JD and McRob:

The Judy song I've heard before -- she does have that ability to imbue songs with so many undercurrents, doesn't she?

And the Meaghan Smith song I hadn't heard before -- in fact, I'd never even heard of her at all before.  That is really a classic song, isn't it?  So many new holiday songs seem dated within a couple of years, but that one sounds timeless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting by an Open Fire) by Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra
    Blue Christmas or any Christmas Carol by Elvis

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite Romantic Holiday Song:
    [QUOTE]The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting by an Open Fire) by Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra Blue Christmas or any Christmas Carol by Elvis
    Posted by Green-Mountain-Views[/QUOTE]

You're a classic, GMV -- not that we didn't already know that!

I'm not a big Elvis fan, but Blue Christmas is a good song.  And I don't know that there is a bad version of The Christmas Song, which really is the definition of a great song, I think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

I like the Meaghan Smith, Robbie. And Judy Garland...how can you miss with that?

This time of year I also like the Windham Hill Winter Solstice series and the December cd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gmiSPMHrWQ

and a old new favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB_-GAsIhdM&feature=fvw

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gmiSPMHrWQ and a old new favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB_-GAsIhdM&feature=fvw
    Posted by kittensmittons[/QUOTE]

km:  This is going to sound really dumb, especially since I actually watch Glee -- or at least I tivo it every week -- but I was listening to this for quite a while trying to figure out who the woman singing was, as she has a gorgeous voice.  (I haven't watched the Christmas Glee episode yet, obviously!) 

Finally I was scrolling down that page and saw Darren Criss's picture and figured out the woman was Chris Colfer.  Well, he does have a beautiful voice, what can I say?

I really got to get through some of my hours and hours of tivo'd shows already!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

McRob: never heard on Meaghan Smith.  I dig that song.

Here's 'All I want for christmas is you' by Mariah Carey....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeLessonsLearned. Show LifeLessonsLearned's posts

GMV, I'm on the same page with you - Windham Hill holiday music. Especially George Winston's December album.

McRob - just listened to It Snowed for the first time. Thanks for the reco - very pretty song. The rest of the top songs by Smith on Rhapsody are all Christmas-themed.

Holiday songs I hate - anything modern recorded in the 80s. I spent too many holiday seasons working a second job in retail, relently subjected to the 80s crap. Mind you, I love 80s music as a rule - the soundtrack to my late teens, college years and the 20-something-years before I finally grew up into an adult. But the holiday music created that decade - yuck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Baby, It's Cold Outside.  Dean Martin.  <3 <3 <3

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

Classics all but my FAVORITE is....

Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses.  Takes me back to the 80's and my clubbing days

Merry Merry all!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

[QUOTE]I think Karen Carpenter had the prettiest voice ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1ujXx2p-I
    Posted by Lily87[/QUOTE]
    I've been told my voice is similar to Karen Carpenter's. I love her. I loved that she just considered herself a drummer who could sing. She's the only drummer in the world I love.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

[QUOTE]I think Karen Carpenter had the prettiest voice ever.
    Posted by Lily87[/QUOTE]

I may have agreed with you yesterday.  But last night I saw a boy soprano sing "O Holy Night."  It was sublime.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I've always found "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" to be romantic, but that's just me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I've always found "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" to be romantic, but that's just me.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]
    I feel that way about Silent Night. 

We should go caroling together. 

Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

When I was kid, my brother and I used to sneak up behind the carolers and start singing a completely different song off-key. People didn't really like it.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Psst, ..... you are kind of 2 1/2 months late

But it is great make-out music

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from justcat. Show justcat's posts

My favorite version of Baby, It's Cold Outside is by Ray Charles and Betty Carter.  It's truly ffantastic.  It's not really a holiday song, but it does give me goosebumps.  I also have a soft spot for Please Come Home for Christmas by the Eagles.  And finally, Santa Baby as only Eartha Kitt can sing it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

OK first is Elvis (first is always Elvis) I'll be Home on Christmas Day

Second is River by Joni Mitchell

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

River makes me cry. Everything Joni sings makes me cry.

Sara Rodman's picks for 2010 best CDs are really great.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2010/12/19/rodman/

Justcat, I love that version of Baby, it's cold outside. One of my favorites.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

@LLL - Glad to find another who likes George Winston. December and the early Winter Solstice cds are great for us, too, because Mr. GMV is Jewish and he really doesn't care for the traditional Christmas music...as you might imagine.

@Lily - I know what you are saying about Karen Carpenter; she had one of the best voices I've ever heard. What happened to her was so tragic. You've brought back a wonderful memory for me; my somewhat-Archie-Bunker-ish Dad absolutely loved Karen Carpenter and it was a pleasure to sit with him and watch her on TV. I forget what show she was on, though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Oh, yeah! Santa Baby sung by Eartha Kitt. Now that was one flirty female. Ed Bradley interviewed her for 60 minutes and she had him wrapped around her little finger.