For the Ubber Techies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

For the Ubber Techies

So for Christmas I want to get my BF a receiver. 
    I know nothing.

Any thoughts on Denon and Marantz? This is what I was thinking, ish?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Re: For the Ubber Techies

I am an uber n00b with entertainment/sound systems.

Given the specs, I know that I would be pretty happy with it, but I don't know how it compares to other receiver decks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

That was quick!!

I really wish I could just get him a GC for it, so then he could pick out what he wanted, within reason of course. My "system" is laughable at best. I did get the Sony TV, but no speakers, receivers anything. He is so into this stuff, so I want to make sure I get something decent, more mid-level into the receiver world. Like does 7.2ch mean better than the 7.1ch?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

OK this is the one I am thinking about.....We dont have a huge space, so not sure it makes sense to over do it in the wattage department and such.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

bang and olfusen? CG swears by their products, but i have no clue. they're all the same to me.HA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

Oh, I thought you meant the *other* GC, which is a perfectly acceptable Christmas gift.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Please, thats like Christmas every other day at our house.

TMI???

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

Every other day? Boy am I in the wrong house!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

As someone with 20+ years in consumer electronics experience, I would suggest Yamaha product above Marantz, Denon and B&O...

You want HDMI In/Out if it is to be part of a Home Entertainment System, learning remote.

They sell 6' HDMI cables at Ocean State Job Lot for $5.99each DON'T SPEND MORE!
    The cable offers the same signal from a device as a $70.00 6' HDMI cable!
    The cable either "works" or it  "doesn't"...more $$$ does not equal better.

Never buy an extended warranty! If you are going to have a problem, it will be right out of the box!

Shop on line too! Why pay retail @ $499.99 when you can get the same item on line for $425.00 w/S&H???? SAVE $$$$$

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4376881. Show user_4376881's posts

>>>>Never buy an extended warranty! If you are going to have a problem, it will be right out of the box!

-------

Fully, absolutely, 100% whole-heartedly agree.  Warranties are almost 100% markup.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGuy3076. Show BostonGuy3076's posts

Jeeps,

I’m no expert on this topic, but it does interest me.  Assuming neither you nor your BF obsess over electronics, I think the difference between 7.1 and 7.2 is irrelevant.  (It’s just how many subwoofers you can hook directly up to the receiver). 

If I were shopping for your BF, the first thing I’d consider is what will the system be used for, how big the room is, and what you’re planning on doing for speakers.  If you’ll be mostly watching tv programs and movies, and you have a decent sized room, you might want to focus on building a surround system.  Modern movies can be pretty cool with the sound coming from all around you. 

Personally, I have a small room and am more serious about listening to music.  So I only have two speakers and a 2.0 channel receiver.  It works fine for movies too, but doesn’t do the surround thing. 

Finally, at our level sound is fairly subjective.  I’ve never bought a sound component without comparing its sound to others. 

Does any of this help?  If you’re looking for an easier answer, I’ll add my voice to the Yamaha fan club, but you generally won't go wrong with Denon or Marantz. 

-BostonGuy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Roger, I get a discount at Denon. Pretty hefty one at that, so is that still ok? Denon has a 3 year warranty, so I wouldnt buy extended. I never do anyway, I am aware of the scam. But thanks for confirming that.

BostonGuy, oh he is a techie nut. He would be thrilled if I just got him a GC (giftcard chuppz you perv) at Best Buy or someother electronic store. I am the one that has no interest in it. But thank you for clarifying the 7.1 and 7.2. I dont know if subwoofers are in our future. God, I hope not!! The room isnt that large so I dont see the point of going ubber highend when it will really be wasted. But I wanted to get something decent that he, as an electronic junkie, would appreciate.

thanks for all the comments!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: For the Ubber Techies:
    In Response to Re: For the Ubber Techies : I bought a laptop from Radio Shack a few years ago, declined the warranty.  I had it about a year when I accidentally spilled a liquid beverage on the keyboard,  brought it back for repairs and ended up spending a little more than I had originally paid for the thing!  It was never the same,  it was like it was brain damaged.  So when I got a new laptop,  I did get the extended warranty/maintenance plan, for me it may be worth it!
    Posted by dog-lady

What kind of liquid beverage? Cola? If so that has an acidic effect on electronics!Back up whatever you need on that laptop!  When you had it repaired they couldn't remove all the Cola - if that's what it was. Water evaporates but can still have long term effects on your laptop.

I will tell you what I have told my kids....

electronics don't bounce! .....after they drop their cell phone
    electronics don't like to get wet or float....as they forget to take their iPod out of their pant pocket and it goes through the washing machine
    electronics need to breath...after a laptop overheated on a bedspread that was up against the vents of the laptop.

My daughter worked and saved for her laptop, purchased it then dropped it and smashed the LCD display! I brought it to a PC Repair shop $200+parts!
    I went on line watched a YouTube video on how to replace the LCD. I purchased a new LCD display for $70.00 and fixed it myself! Works and looks like "new"

Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Roger, I get a discount at Denon. Pretty hefty one at that, so is that still ok? Denon has a 3 year warranty, so I wouldnt buy extended. I never do anyway, I am aware of the scam. But thanks for confirming that. BostonGuy, oh he is a techie nut. He would be thrilled if I just got him a GC (giftcard chuppz you perv) at Best Buy or someother electronic store. I am the one that has no interest in it. But thank you for clarifying the 7.1 and 7.2. I dont know if subwoofers are in our future. God, I hope not!! The room isnt that large so I dont see the point of going ubber highend when it will really be wasted. But I wanted to get something decent that he, as an electronic junkie, would appreciate. thanks for all the comments!!!
    Posted by Jeepers-Cripes

50% go for it! Can you get re-furbished for less???????

Based on your remarks above 7.1 will do just fine...what are your plans for speakers????????

Undecided

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

You should get the cinema chairs with the built in subwoofer!

AWSOME! You feel like you're in the tank, plane, spaceship.....the vibration makes you feel like you're in the movie!

It will shake loose whatever is stuck to your ribs!

Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Watch this YouTube video of what cola does to the shell of a hard boiled egg in one year! To my point of effect on electronics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kpJwnRMu_M

Crazy huh?

Surprised

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

60% but who is counting. I dont know about speakers yet. I also get a discount on Boston Accoustics and was looking at the floor ones. I think I will leave those to him. Probably asking too much from me to pick those out as well.

There will be no movie seats in my house. But I wouldnt doubt some day I come home and I get a "Look what I bought baby!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

60% but who is counting. I dont know about speakers yet. I also get a discount on Boston Accoustics and was looking at the floor ones. I think I will leave those to him. Probably asking too much from me to pick those out as well. There will be no movie seats in my house. But I wouldnt doubt some day I come home and I get a "Look what I bought baby!"
    Posted by Jeepers-Cripes

I love Boston Acoustic - good @ low end sound! 60% off what? suggested retail? retail? Google shop the item to see if you are getting a good price. If it checks out $ go for it - I will say I have worked @ retail and at 3 of the largest consumer electronics companies in the world and have been "given" product that I either re-gifted or tossed in the trash...save all the original packing materials parts and accessories if in the event "HE" wants to return/exchange it.
    Good luck!

Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Retail. Deal is legit, friends and family thing.

But yes, will def save all packaging incase he doesnt think its good enough and wants better. I am taking a huge risk doing this because he is so into this stuff. Normally I just let him deal with it, but was trying to be extra nice this year. I may just print out pics of the two and let him choose and then buy the one he wants. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Retail. Deal is legit, friends and family thing. But yes, will def save all packaging incase he doesnt think its good enough and wants better. I am taking a huge risk doing this because he is so into this stuff. Normally I just let him deal with it, but was trying to be extra nice this year. I may just print out pics of the two and let him choose and then buy the one he wants. 
    Posted by Jeepers-Cripes

Nahhh, just get it for him and tape the spec sheet to the box! He should be able to decide without ripping open the box!

$345.60....killer price for you! def go for it I would

Good luck!  Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts