Fundraising Ideas for the Run to Home Base

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

Fundraising Ideas for the Run to Home Base

Ok, first I have to give the obligatory credit to Dread, who after posting about this race inspired me to sign up myself. I heard about it too late last year and didn't have adequate time for fundraising, but with an early start this year, I'm quite excited.

I'm NOT here to hit you all up for money since I know many of you already donated to Dreads campaign (of course, if you want to donate again, I can send you the link to my fundraising page). 

What I was hoping for were some ideas from you beautiful people about fun, silly, or unique fundraiser ideas?  I'm not necessarily concerned about hitting my minimum - but I always feel better about asking for money when I can volunteer doing something in return (ie, a car wash, but those seem a little played out. And it's February in Boston).

I have another girlfriend that has agreed to join in as well so there will be two of us - any ideas on some ways to raise some dough for these awesome men and women?  You guys always come up with some of the best ideas!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

Re: Fundraising Ideas for the Run to Home Base

Well realistically, if I had $1,000 to contribute, I wouldn't hit people up at all.  I'm just trying to think of something fun to do where people feel like they're getting *something* for their contribution - other than the thank you email and the warm and fuzzies of helping out an awesome organization.

If you go to the main page of the LL Off-Topic forums, his original thread is still there and you should be able to find his page. Off the top of my head I don't remember it.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NervousNellie. Show NervousNellie's posts

A raffle or auction as mentioned above are great ways to raise money.  If you have friends and neighbors with a good sense of humor, Flamingo Flocking can be really successful and a lot of fun.  There are a lot of good DIY fundraising ideas here: http://www.fundraising-ideas.org/DIY/ And don't forget to use whatever social networking sites you're on (FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, your blog, etc.) to get the word out. 

The number one reason people give when asked why they donate to a cause?  Because they were asked.  Try to have fun and remember that the worst anyone can do is say no.   (Can you tell what I do for a living?  Hahaha.)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

These are great ideas you guys! Thanks.

On Sally's suggestion, I sent out an email to coworkers of photos of bathrobes I've made (I'm a reasonably accomplished seamstress) that are Spa-like weight and quality - they cost me about $20 and 3 hours to make.  I said I'd have them by Monday for Valentines gifts if anyone wanted to buy one for $100. What do you know? I'll be making 2 this weekend.

And yes, to be clear, I have committed to putting $150 of my own money in, which is a fairly average cost of entering any half or full marathon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

In Response to Re: Fundraising Ideas for the Run to Home Base:
    [QUOTE]Ginger, also post it on your own FB page.  So friends and family will see it.  Tell us more about these bathrobes!
    Posted by Lily87[/QUOTE]

Facebook and having my company post it on our intranet have been the most productive route so far, and have me nearly 1/2 way there! Social Media really does come in handy for things like these - I've been seeing the $5 and $10 donations come in from friends that I'd otherwise lost touch with little notes of encouragement that show people really do think this is a worthwhile cause to support!

And the robes, well, they're just yummy!  Not too unlike the ones from a fancy hotel that you always consider stealing - except in prettier colors and without the big "W" logo on it, haha!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

Have some business cards made and hand them out randomly or leave them anywhere you go.  Take an ad out in your local newspaper.  Do a 50/50 auction somewhere.  There's lots of stuff that you can do.

I'm really not above doing damn near anything for raising money for this.  Thanks for helping out the cause and if you need any help let me know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

In Response to Re: Fundraising Ideas for the Run to Home Base:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fundraising Ideas for the Run to Home Base : Facebook and having my company post it on our intranet have been the most productive route so far, and have me nearly 1/2 way there! Social Media really does come in handy for things like these - I've been seeing the $5 and $10 donations come in from friends that I'd otherwise lost touch with little notes of encouragement that show people really do think this is a worthwhile cause to support! And the robes, well, they're just yummy!  Not too unlike the ones from a fancy hotel that you always consider stealing - except in prettier colors and without the big "W" logo on it, haha!
    Posted by naturalginger[/QUOTE]

I'd like to buy one Ginger.  Can we chat offline?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

JBar - I'm working from the road until Thursday so I don't have pictures handy, but I'd love to make a JBar-Commissioned robe!  What's the best way to connect offline?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

CHC and Moose, we're actually thinking a car wash in April - it will be a bit chilly, but everyone around here is so ready for the snow and grime to be gone and the shiny signs of spring to come thru, that I think it could be a hit. If nothing else, entertaining for a few of my girlfriends and me. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrightonGuy. Show BrightonGuy's posts

I ran last year, thought raising the money would be easy. I got over $1,500, but it wasn't easy. I'm in Sales anyway, so no problem in asking for it. The key is being persistent. I had several people who waited until the very last minute to contribute because they forgot, or were too busy, etc. It's a really great cause so don't be afraid to ask. Send a nice e-mail to everyone in your address book with a link to the race page. See if your employer will match contributions (mine gave $200). I posted my link on Facebook so often I think a couple of people unfriended me. If you're on Linkedin post it there too. Just remember, you're not asking for a handout, you're raising money for a great cause! Good luck!

16. This post has been removed.