hiding in the corner

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: hiding in the corner

I work from a home office,  by myself.  Short of nominating papers for Bin Larden's job, you can send me anything and I'm confident that I won't be taking any disciplinary action against myself.

I'm strict, but fair.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I'm not in a similar work boat, CHC, but I found today's topic too much to stay with for long. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

Here at my job, we got hit with the new W32.QAKBOT virus a couple weeks ago.  It wasn't debilitating, but it was quite annoying - it made you think IE had stopped working and closed and needed a restart (when it didn't).  It was so new that, when it hit our network, they didn't yet have a fix for it - this, fortunately, appeared a couple days later.  They use Symantec here, like so many other offices; at home, I use AVG 2011 Free with Advanced System Care v4.0 as additional protection - it does a lovely job getting rid of possible threats and junk files, although it does tend to wipe your browsing history.  But that's expected, and it hasn't erased any of my remembered logins or passwords.

As to the IT thing, I'm A+ and Network+ certified and would love to be doing something other than data entry (it doesn't pay very well).  I was after a BS in Network Admin, but have put education on hold indefinitely (until I can afford to continue again), and am thinking I'll just go for the needed certs (Microsoft, Cisco, etc.) when I have the funds to do so.  Too much owed in student loans as it is! :-o

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: hiding in the corner:
    Here at my job, we got hit with the new W32.QAKBOT virus a couple weeks ago.  It wasn't debilitating, but it was quite annoying - it made you think IE had stopped working and closed and needed a restart (when it didn't).  It was so new that, when it hit our network, they didn't yet have a fix for it - this, fortunately, appeared a couple days later.  They use Symantec here, like so many other offices; at home, I use AVG 2011 Free with Advanced System Care v4.0 as additional protection - it does a lovely job getting rid of possible threats and junk files, although it does tend to wipe your browsing history.  But that's expected, and it hasn't erased any of my remembered logins or passwords. As to the IT thing, I'm A+ and Network+ certified and would love to be doing something other than data entry (it doesn't pay very well).  I was after a BS in Network Admin, but have put education on hold indefinitely (until I can afford to continue again), and am thinking I'll just go for the needed certs (Microsoft, Cisco, etc.) when I have the funds to do so.  Too much owed in student loans as it is! :-o
    Posted by redwolf68

Is that the ting that says Win 7, and pretends it's scanning trojans, and want you to purchase fake spyware for it? It totally disabled my browser a couple of weeks ago on my laptop. Two weeks before that, it disable my o/s on my PC /> Now, I am very very careful about what sites I look at.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Hello to all the hiders - I always have trouble keeping up! 

I use AVG at home, too.  I've had to remove a couple of viruses on my home pc this past year or two - including one that I should have been smart enough to avoid but didn't.  Sadtrombone, as Sally would say. 

but I just got a new PC at home - the old one was almost 6 years old (how many is that in internet years?) so I'm stocking up on antivirus resources again.  I've also used Malwarebytes and Spybot in the past - sometimes if one can't get it, another one can.  I like a little redundant protection in some things. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to hiding in the corner:
    Today's topic is NSFW (at least my work) Pop by and say hello if you work in a similar environment.
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick

Gotta say (now that I finally have a home Internet connection!) that I'm glad I didn't read this one at work today.  Not sure how I would have answered (or IF I would have answered!)  So I understand the hiding out in the corner by CHC.  :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Is that the ting that says Win 7, and pretends it's scanning trojans, and want you to purchase fake spyware for it? It totally disabled my browser a couple of weeks ago on my laptop. Two weeks before that, it disable my o/s on my PC /> Now, I am very very careful about what sites I look at ====================== by RDG That one is one of the WORST ones to get rid of, RDG.  I get a lot of "Home Tech Support" requests to clean this sucker out.
    Posted by themikeg

Hmmm...mikey, I usually just clicked out of the "pretend scan" - would that have avoided any issues with virus/malware?  I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my home PC - maybe I'll run it when I'm done here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

I run mine on a regular basis and don't forget to update them, too!  Most will update when they run, but check your preferences.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

At my job nobody cares what I do. Only that it gets done. My computer at work is uncensored. Once again I have to get the work done and AI have to get it done when it needs to get done. Other than that I am allowed to do what I want when I want. Nobody has it better than me.

Mikeyg. I use malware bytes, Norton 360 and AVG. Besides that I figure that everyone knows that if I get a virus I will track you down like a dog. And I am not a pleasant man when I have to do that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

today IS a day to check your preferences, after all :p
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick

Hah, excellent!!!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

I run mine on a regular basis and don't forget to update them, too!  Most will update when they run, but check your preferences.  
    Posted by wizen

Mine are fine. She has to be older than 45 and have a good sense of humor.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bzorn22. Show bzorn22's posts

Spybot is pretty good, but I'd never rely on it by itself.  I am definitely comfortable enough with Malwarebytes to rely on it alone.  If you're a more "advanced user", HijackThis is fantastic. As much as I hate to hype up Microsoft technologies (MS has definitely gotten better, so much so that I don't completely hate them), System Restore works really well.  Make backups often.
    Posted by themikeg

Mikeyg thanks for the advice. I will look into that HijackThis. MS has gotten better and I often wonder how robust Linux or "Snow Leopard?" would be were they subject to the same level of attacks that Windows is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

My borrowed laptop has Microsoft Security Essentials loaded into it, but it doesn't look like there's anything else. Can I to malwarebytes.org also, or will the two programs cancel each other out?

Once upon a time I had a sweet cocktail of Spybot; ad-aware, and avast!

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: hiding in the corner : Microsoft Security Essentials is garbage.  Definitely, absolutely go to malwarebytes and get the program. Avast! is a FANTASTIC A/V software, but I hated the ads, so I stuck with AVG.  Steer clear of ad-aware....
    Posted by themikeg

You're a treasure. Thank you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: hiding in the corner : Mine are fine. She has to be older than 45 and have a good sense of humor.
    Posted by bzorn22

I definitely fit the first part of your statement; and I *think* I have the second.  ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts