I need assistance.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: I need assistance.

Changing jobs isn't always the answer ... where ever you go you will meet the same people, the faces and the names will be different but  they are the same people.  If this is a good job and you like it,  stay put.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nittanylionness. Show nittanylionness's posts

In Response to Re: I need assistance.:
    [QUOTE]Changing jobs isn't always the answer ... where ever you go you will meet the same people, the faces and the names are different but  they are the same people.  If this is a good job and you like it,  stay put.
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

It's not what I went to school for by any stretch. I just kinda happened to be in the right place at the right time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nittanylionness. Show nittanylionness's posts

[QUOTE]I hope the people discussing Paterno's fate and what he should have done have read the grand jury testimony of this case.
    Posted by Zeptember[/QUOTE]

I was ill when I read it yesterday...after my encounter with office guy.
    I know i'm in denial about Joe. So sue me, i'm a homer. But this is all such a mess that I can't help but think there HAS to be a loophole for a guy who's done nothing but make lives better by many standards, not just coach football. I'm so disappointed in my university as a whole, but more angry at the guy who caused all this.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from myperspective. Show myperspective's posts

Keep your chin up and ignore him.

Then find out where he lives from HR and have your buddies go jump him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

I think by law Paterno was supposed to go to the cops. And more than likely he will be held accountable and from what I understand he could be brought up on charges as well. 

Aside from that, I am vengeful. I would bake cupcakes for him as a peace offering and throw some suppositories in it. For the co-worker, not Paterno.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nittanylionness. Show nittanylionness's posts

[QUOTE] I can't say that I blame Joe for going, "um, I'm not sure I can deal with this appropriately?" and sending him up the chain of command.  It's also not his job to babysit his bosses to make sure they do the right thing. Should he have maybe inquired about what was done with it? Sure. === Wow. A 10 year old boy is getting anally raped in the penn St locker room and all the indignation for Joepa you can muster is: "He should have maybe inquired about what was done about it." We joke about a lot of offensive stuff around here but I don't think I've ever been as disgusted by a single post as that one.
    Posted by CreepySean[/QUOTE]

I DID say that he should have inquired as to what investigation is being done futher sir. Read it again. I just said that it's NOT his job to make sure the bosses are doing thiers.
    I'm shaking and nauseated. Wow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

I am having a hard time putting this together. I can't quite envision a scenario where I come across a man raping a young child and my next move isn't caving his head in with the heaviest thing I could lay my hands on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

I don't find her comment about JoePa offensive.  I think she's keyed on a very real part of human tendencies: denial when confronted with something so awful.  It's why people don't get involved, why they keep walking when someone falls down, why they don't intervene when a parent is beating the crap out of their child.

We don't want to believe what we're seeing.  So we pass the buck.

I know I would like to think that I would have stopped Sandusky and reported his crime to the police.  At the very least, I think I would have eventually reported it to the police - probably after many sleepless nights.  But can I guarantee I would have reported a senior coach to a team for whom I worked and hoped to have a career working for?  I honestly cannot say for certain, and I am not proud of that.

Likewise, can I say I would report to the police what I was told about a longtime colleague and likely friend?  Or would I turn into an ostrich and put my head in the sand because I didn't want to confront the truth?  I don't know.  I know what one SHOULD do, but to do that means overcoming a pretty powerful human urge to ignore a threat to my social circle and dealing with the ugly fallout.

Having said all of this, though, I am just a cubicle drone.  I am not heading up a huge enterprise that prides itself on promoting values and character.  I'm also not a Penn State fan whose idealistic view of my alma mater is in the process of being smashed to bits.  So, just as I think JoePa was in denial, denial, denial, I think many Penn State alums are also staying in the denial cloud because they're not ready yet to see their happy illusion torn away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from myperspective. Show myperspective's posts

Some people are whistleblowers and some are hypocrites.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Nittany - I don't want to pile on you, and I do think Sean was too harsh in responding to you, but there is doing your job and there is doing what's right.  Joe failed to do what was right.  Similarly, I think McQueary also failed...  Yes, he reported it to Paterno, but to continue on at Penn State, see Sandusky walking around free, and NOT raise some sort of stink?  While on one hand I'm not surprised and I can understand the desire to do nothing, I also think everyone involved failed to do what was right, and that is report Sandusky to the police.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nittanylionness. Show nittanylionness's posts

[QUOTE]I don't find her comment about JoePa offensive.  I think she's keyed on a very real part of human tendencies: denial when confronted with something so awful.  It's why people don't get involved, why they keep walking when someone falls down, why they don't intervene when a parent is beating the crap out of their child. We don't want to believe what we're seeing.  So we pass the buck. I know I would like to think that I would have stopped Sandusky and reported his crime to the police.  At the very least, I think I would have eventually reported it to the police - probably after many sleepless nights.  But can I guarantee I would have reported a senior coach to a team for whom I worked and hoped to have a career working for?  I honestly cannot say for certain, and I am not proud of that. Likewise, can I say I would report to the police what I was told about a longtime colleague and likely friend?  Or would I turn into an ostrich and put my head in the sand because I didn't want to confront the truth?  I don't know.  I know what one SHOULD do, but to do that means overcoming a pretty powerful human urge to ignore a threat to my social circle and dealing with the ugly fallout. Having said all of this, though, I am just a cubicle drone.  I am not heading up a huge enterprise that prides itself on promoting values and character.  I'm also not a Penn State fan whose idealistic view of my alma mater is in the process of being smashed to bits.  So, just as I think JoePa was in denial, denial, denial, I think many Penn State alums are also staying in the denial cloud because they're not ready yet to see their happy illusion torn away.
    Posted by TwoCentDonation[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Thank you.
    Penn State hasn't even a blemish before Saturday. The good ones fall hardest. I'm just trying to make sense of this at the moment. Please excuse me while I collect my thoughts.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

Nitanny, I'd leave now, you're just going to get more upset than you already were and engaging Sean will be no more productive or helpful for you than engaging this guy at your work.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nittanylionness. Show nittanylionness's posts

I said that I WISH there was a loophole or something more to help Joe explain himself.

I KNOW THAT THIS WHOLE THING IS WRONG. It's just hard to process that some many could screw up so badly!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

And I think you were being an unecessary dick to her, Sean.  She's got enough to deal with and while what you said about Paterno is correct she doesn't need to hear right now.  It's hard when your heroes turn out to be regular people, and right now she's going through that process of realizing Paterno is the great man everyone wanted to think he was.

I'm sure once she gets over the shock she'll be angry at Paterno.  She's just not there yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

You're also twisting her words around, Sean, just like her jackhat co-worker.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

Oh Nittany, I say you keep everything to yourself.
    If he asks you specific questions, have specific answers.
    And possibly flat out tell him you don't appreciate the way he twists your words.
    Your defense of your college isn't correlatory to defending perpetrators of sexual abuse.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Nit - You should probably take a break.  I have a feeling Sean's going to keep debating on this one, and I don't think you have enough distance yet to be able to debate with him without getting really upset.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

Or a stern,

Look, I can understand how you misunderstood my statements, but never have I, nor will I ever condone any form of sexual abuse and I would appreciate you stopping.

OR

The humor route... which of course would entail you swallowing your own words - which hey, we all have to do every now and again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

We should just make like Sean's parents and ignore him.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts