I need assistance.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Re: I need assistance.

In Response to Re: I need assistance.:
    OR The humor route... which of course would entail you swallowing your own words - which hey, we all have to do every now and again.
    Posted by ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink

This is what I was referring to, Dims. I took it that you were suggesting she say, "Hey, we all have to do it [condone sexual abuse] every now and then."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

TwoCent, I was raised in the South. Any Southerner that knows me, does not mistake me for one of them.
    Posted by MoVa

But you equate football with religion.  That strikes me as being very Southern.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Actually I don't equate football with religion. I see people treating each with reverence and I feel it for neither.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

In Response to Re: I need assistance. : This is what I was referring to, Dims. I took it that you were suggesting she say, "Hey, we all have to do it [condone sexual abuse] every now and then."
    Posted by TwoCentDonation

GOD no! I'm appalled you read it that way. Who would even say such a thing?

I meant we all have to swallow our words now and again, which is exactly what I typed. I'm really having trouble understanding how you could've taken that any other way.

I guess you can't ever be careful enough with your words. Frown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

I don't see Sean as expressing an unpopular opinion - he's right, Paterno FAILED.  I just don't think it's necessary for Sean to pile on Nittany and keep accusing her of defending Paterno even after she tried to explain herself.  And he didn't need to be as confrontational about it.  She's already upset as it is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

In Response to Re: I need assistance. : GOD no! I'm appalled you read it that way. Who would even say such a thing? I meant we all have to swallow our words now and again, which is exactly what I typed. I'm really having trouble understanding how you could've taken that any other way. I guess you can't ever be careful enough with your words.

I was pretty shocked, and I'm glad that isn't what you meant.  I just didn't see where she'd have to swallow her pride and take back what she said.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Sean is expressing appropriate outrage to an outrageous situation.
    Nitty is expressing bafflement and dismay that something she thought was one thing, wasn't that thing at all.
    These views do not conflict at all, IMHO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Seanz doesnt coddle. I think we all know that. Basically, this is how the whole HTG thing went down. People didnt like his opinion and then all hellz broke out. 

Lets just leave this alone, humbly 2centz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

In Response to Re: I need assistance. : I was pretty shocked, and I'm glad that isn't what you meant.  I just didn't see where she'd have to swallow her pride and take back what she said.

Well, when you knowingly express an unpopular opinion, you should be ready for a little backlash. Note, I'm not condoning this man's behavior. He's taken it to an unacceptable level.

Aside from that though, the reality is sometimes we say things in poor taste, and doing the right thing might involve admitting that there is a possibility you could've been wrong, as in ... thinking it was wrong, saying it was wrong, or even the delivery of it was wrong. You don't have to cop to all 3... but it's okay to own up to a mistake and have some humble pie.

It takes a transmitter and a receiver to get a message across. They both can suffer from malfunctions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

Not sure in what direction this whole discussion has gone, but
    after reading about it on CNN, I find it absolutely wrong that
    even though Paterno wasn’t directly involved in this scandal, per say, he
    didn’t do enough to right a sinking ship when he knew it had the potential

to go down.
    he was told of the shower incident and told ONLY his superior, but that
    was it. He should have gone further and seen the complaint followed
    through..
    Sandusky should have been fired on the spot. Any and all governing
    bodies at the University who were made aware of the
    sexual attacks seemed to have looked a blind eye, in order
    to NOT diminish the reputation of an institution. Their “fear”

for the school’s reputation was MORE dire and important than
    that of an attack victim.. shame on them.
    that said, I understand that when one reveres and or idolizes another person

Or institution, its always hard to ever imagine that that image

has the possibility of ever being tarnished when its been
    held in such high esteem for eons.

but this is life and people are the ones who are the infallible ones,NOT

Institutions.  

In this case the most egregious are without a doubt Sandusky, but also all

Who were made aware of the sexual attacks on teens and DIDN’T report it or
    DIDN’T see it followed through the legal system. I think accountability
    needs to be held to all who were aware of what happened and DID nothing.
    to what degree? that is NOT my area to say who gets what punishment, but
    when children are involved in any sort of attack, the actual perpetrator
    needs to be sentence to the fullest extent of the law…and Paterno with his 45+ year tenure,

should have known his role in keeping that institution’s crowning reputation in tact, he wasn’t
    a revered King for nothing… but his crown and reign are sorrily over due to a truly sad misstep in judgment to preserve a kingdom’s reputation

not sure that made any sense, sad story however you look at it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

As in, "Maybe I was wrong in defending so-and-so. Though his actions were contemptible, I honestly believe the real criminal here is other-bad-guy."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

People clearly put the needs and reputation of the institution and individuals in that institution above the needs of one small boy, and all who have now gone through the same hellish nightmare because of it.
    Even though I chastised someone yesterday, I'm going there anyway:
    I was just following orders.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

As in, "Maybe I was wrong in defending so-and-so. Though his actions were contemptible, I honestly believe the real criminal here is other-bad-guy."

OK... Now I get what you were saying.  I was looking for actually verbiage in your original post and read the "sometimes we all have to do it" and the suggested verbiage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

People clearly put the needs and reputation of the institution and individuals in that institution above the needs of one small boy
    Posted by MoVa

Actually, 8 boys, at least....

That's the problematic nature of institutions - they take on a life of their own and those in the institution begin protecting the institution, whether it be a church, a school, a police force, or the White House.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

People clearly put the needs and reputation of the institution and individuals in that institution above the needs of one small boy, and all who have now gone through the same hellish nightmare because of it. Even though I chastised someone yesterday, I'm going there anyway: I was just following orders.
    Posted by MoVa

You know what I was thinking of...is that people never learn. The coverup always makes it worse. Without exception. If Penn State had acted swiftly on the allegations they could have been commended and protected their reputation. They wouldn't have been blamed by (at least not by rational people) for what one of their employees did as long as they didn't protect or permit it.

Things always come out. Sooner or later. And that's exactly why I don't believe big pharma is covering up cures, there is no fool proof cover up. As long as people with knowledge are alive, the truth always comes out eventually.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

This would not have happened at a Division II school, or even a I-AA school.

This happened because the Penn State football team generates a tremendous amount of money for the school.  It's bad enough a publicly funded institution makes a profit off of unpaid workers, but this was swept under the rug to not sully the name of the school and keep that cash flowing.

Major college sports are a joke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

In Response to Re: I need assistance. : OK... Now I get what you were saying.  I was looking for actually verbiage in your original post and read the "sometimes we all have to do it" and the suggested verbiage.

Gotcha. Yeah, I left it out because I'm not exactly sure what Nittany was trying to express, just that it was possibly okay to rescind it.

And we've all eaten our words. At least once.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

I still can't get over the original witness, walking in on this scene and what? Did he just turn around and walk back out again? I am completely flummoxed here. Is this what happened?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Have any of you considered that the guy at work could be an abuse victim too?   Posted by CreepySean

Yes, all the more reason not to engage in the conversation, because he's not able to discuss without emotion, either, and it most likely will not lead to a good outcome in a work situation. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nittanylionness. Show nittanylionness's posts

**UPDATE**

Just had a minor melt down at work. Guy was debating with another guy publicly as more news is starting to come out about this. It got HEATED. He was actually reading the pages of the indictment that were really graphic out loud. After he left the room I got really, really upset like I did last night. A few of my coworkers took me outside til I calmed down. I told them in bland terms that this hits home for me apart from my college. I returned back inside and got back to work.
    Someone told Guy that I got upset. He sent me an email apologizing for his insensitivity. So he didn't construe that i'm not upset about my college (really, at this point, who gives a rats butt), I told him blandly back that this is a very personal issue for me and that I will refrain from any hot button discussion in the future. Done.

Thank you all for your kind words. Two Cent is right that this is very complex to process.
    To the subject at hand: Everyone involved was so wrong, but there are a ton of rumours and facts that have yet to be proven. For now, I want the university to focus on doing what's right and protecting those kids, and the police to do their jobs. Let's get this monster in jail first. I will reserve judgement for after the dust starts to settle. Lesson learned again today.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I disagree Schillipo, it may not have happened in the football program at Division II school but if it involved a well known faculty member or some such...why not there? No, I can equally believe the same cover-up happening almost anywhere. Reputation is everything in the college admissions game and a major blemish hurts a college in a lot of ways, even if they don't have a sports program to speak of.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts