I need assistance.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Re: I need assistance.

In Response to Re: I need assistance.:
    [QUOTE]We should just make like Sean's parents and ignore him.
    Posted by Schlippo[/QUOTE]

Sean's parents ignored him?  That explains so many things...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Lots of people have heroes, Sean.  They aren't lucky to be me and grow up cynical and skeptical.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

Nittany,

It's always hard to find out that someone you admired is flawed.  We can all argue about what we would or would not have done, but until you're in that situation you really don't know what you'll do.  We all like to think we'd do the "right" thing, whatever that is.  It must be especially hard for you, to know that other people were harmed, in ways that you yourself were harmed.  That makes the ground beneath you a little more unstable, and you're likely to say things in ways that are a little shaky as well. 

So, stop saying things.  The jerk you work with will just twist further.  Let him go and advertise his little twisted wares - he'll soon make it apparent that he's a manipulative weasel. 

Do NOT share your history with him.  He cannot be trusted with it. 

Do NOT put anything in writing.  He'll twist that, too. 

And my condolences for having to work with Sean.  :( 

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Sean ease up a bit. I've seen the same type of disbelief and denial in Catholics who had/have a very difficult time incorporating new information into their previously unshakeable beliefs. It rocks them to their very core.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]I think people are allowing their bias against Sean and some of his previous posts to cloud the fact that his opinion is shared by a lot of rational, thinking people, including me. I don't understand why it's not valid here.
    Posted by Zeptember[/QUOTE]

Which opinion?  That Paterno was a moral midget and utterly failed?  Or that Nittanylioness was offensive in expressing her undertstandably mixed emotions about Penn State?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

The opinion is valid.  The wording was conjured to hurt.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

There.  I removed my extraneous posts.

As for offensive, I thought Dimmy's suggested second joke was offensive (Sorry, Dims, I know you meant well).  I never would have suggested a sexual abuse survivor make that joke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

When the scandal in the Catholic church broke wide open, many people took time to grasp that men who had supposedly received a calling from God had abandoned morality.  Every human will react to such a thing in a different way.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

[QUOTE]Men who had a "Calling from God" are the same as a Football Coach. Yes, that's an excellent analogy. Oh, brother.
    Posted by CreepySean[/QUOTE]

Actually, for me, they are equivalent. Then again, I am a godless heathen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Sean, do you have trouble reading between the lines?  Schlip was making the point that people have trouble dealing when those they admire are revealed to be not only no better than anyone else, but worse.  Doesn't matter if the analogy involves a priest, a cop, a judge, or a football coach.

And as to your comment about putting too much identity into your school:  Nittany said that Penn State was a place where she was able to heal from her abuse, and now it has been shown as an institution that looked the other way.  I think for her Penn State is much more than a line on her resume. It's a place she associated with healing, and now it's associated with sexual abuse.  That's a painful 180.

In general, there are those who put their faith in institutions to the point where they feel that institution can do nothing wrong, so when it does, it hurts that much more.  Then there are others who don't put so much faith in anything, or at least recognize the limits of institutions run by people.  They aren't as disappointed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I need assistance. : Actually, for me, they are equivalent. Then again, I am a godless heathen.
    Posted by MoVa[/QUOTE]

I thought it was because you're a Southerner.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

[QUOTE]There.  I removed my extraneous posts. As for offensive, I thought Dimmy's suggested second joke was offensive (Sorry, Dims, I know you meant well).  I never would have suggested a sexual abuse survivor make that joke.
    Posted by TwoCentDonation[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about TwoCent? I didn't make a joke.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

TwoCent, I was raised in the South. Any Southerner that knows me, does not mistake me for one of them.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

I don't think my "Southern" experience is the norm. I had a European mother and a 1st generation Italian father. Most of my friends were Jewish, growing up. My mom was a civil rights activist.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

For the record, I read Sean's link and I agree completely with Sean and Zep on the seriousness of the allegations and the criticism of the college hierarchy. What I was responding to was how to deal with a person at work who is baiting you, whether you got in that pickle because of an ill-advised remark or not. As Zep said, this dynamic happens in a lot of workplaces and it can be about politics, religion, ethnicity, child abuse, and a whole host of other things. I think your co-worker is way over the line by continuing to harangue about this, whether I agree with his opinion or not.