I need assistance.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

Re: I need assistance.

MoVa, I'm equally flummoxed. As far as I'm concerned, when a child is involved, anyone who covers it up is as bad as the person who commits the crime.

The mother who watches her husband beat their children and does nothing? Equally culpable in my book.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

In Response to Re: I need assistance.:
    [QUOTE]I still can't get over the original witness, walking in on this scene and what? Did he just turn around and walk back out again? I am completely flummoxed here. Is this what happened?
    Posted by MoVa[/QUOTE]

Apparently he walked out and went home.  He told his father, who told him to inform Paterno.

Why he didn't blurt out "What the isht are you doing" when confronted with an adult raping achild is beyond me.  In this case, it wasn't open to interpretation.  Sandusky didn't have his hand on the kid in a possibly creepy way, he was in the act of raping him.

There are millions upon millions of little green reasons why everyone's moral fiber came undone in State College, PA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Forget covering it up. Why did he not stop it as it was happening? He saw a child being raped and told a superior about it later? Did he just walk away and let the guy keep having at the child? I could simply vomit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE]**UPDATE** Just had a minor melt down at work. Guy was debating with another guy publicly as more news is starting to come out about this. It got HEATED. He was actually reading the pages of the indictment that were really graphic out loud. After he left the room I got really, really upset like I did last night. A few of my coworkers took me outside til I calmed down. I told them in bland terms that this hits home for me apart from my college. I returned back inside and got back to work. Someone told Guy that I got upset. He sent me an email apologizing for his insensitivity. So he didn't construe that i'm not upset about my college (really, at this point, who gives a rats butt), I told him blandly back that this is a very personal issue for me and that I will refrain from any hot button discussion in the future. Done. Thank you all for your kind words. Two Cent is right that this is very complex to process. To the subject at hand: Everyone involved was so wrong, but there are a ton of rumours and facts that have yet to be proven. For now, I want the university to focus on doing what's right and protecting those kids, and the police to do their jobs. Let's get this monster in jail first. I will reserve judgement for after the dust starts to settle. Lesson learned again today.
    Posted by nittanylionness[/QUOTE]
    What does this have to do with your job and responsibilities?    IGNORE HIM AND MOVE ON. Why are you responding to his e-mails if they are not work related?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

NO E-MAIL!
    NO E-MAIL!
    NO E-MAIL!

24? Grow up, High School is over!
    Let it end, be the bigger and better person!

Lesson learned: He's immature, your still young and don't offer your opinion on RELIGION, SEX or POLITICS in the office!

....next!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

I'm inclined to disagree, Butterflyz.  My college baseball coach engaged in activities that were totally unprofessional and inappropriate.  He got ishtcanned so fast, his head spun.  I have a hard time believing the baseball coach at Miami or Florida State or LSU or any other successful major program would have been summarily fired for the same drunken antics.  Why?  Those programs make money, and you don't mess with your revenue stream by turning over a winning coaching staff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

If this was a middle school child or younger that witnessed this, I could understand. This was a man in his 20's and he ran away to tell daddy. My daddy would have grabbed a bat, gone back up to the school and helped this guy to understand the error of his ways. My dad was not a violent man.
    It's times like this that I wish I had religion, so I could imagine a particularly speciaa place in hell for all of these people.
    That poor little boy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from myperspective. Show myperspective's posts

This would have never happened at UMASS.

our football team sucked

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

It certainly could have happened at a Division 2 school, the children would just have been smaller and somewhat less talented.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Right Said Ed. Show Right Said Ed's posts

myp, one of the alleged incidents happened in 1998 - same year UMass won the Division 1-AA national championship.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

[QUOTE]This would have never happened at UMASS. our football team sucked
    Posted by myperspective[/QUOTE]

Not when I was there.  1998 National Champeeeens, baby!

And no, the coach of mine that got  fired wasn't from UMass, it was at my first attempt at higher education.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

[QUOTE]It certainly could have happened at a Division 2 school, the children would just have been smaller and somewhat less talented.
    Posted by Right Said Ed[/QUOTE]

But they'll probably be doctors and lawyers someday, instead of sitting in prizon of 20 months after shooting themselves in public.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nittanylionness. Show nittanylionness's posts

I didn't engage the guy at all. It was an exchange for 15 minutes within earshot.

Boy, I am finished asking for help. doubleuteeeff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

Wait, which UMass are you referring to, MP?  1998 was at the beginning of a very competitive era at UMass Amherst.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ygren. Show ygren's posts

Asking why the original witness didn't do <whatever> is pretty pointless, IMO.

It can make you crazy.

I am not defending the witness.. But I'm not surprised that his response was not optimal. Cognitive dissonance is pretty powerful when you are confronted with the unthinkable from someone you've had reason to trust absolutely.

I know what I would do now about something like this and I knew in my twenties. But the first time I was confronted with an absolute breach of trust my reaction time was a bit slow and I suffered for it - both the physical damage and the emotional flaying I gave myself for not getting it right.

I would have expected someone of Paterno's years and experience to have acted more appropriately.

Dollar signs for Penn aside, JoePa had enough capital and cred to weather it. And the Penn program wouldn't have taken such a hit beyond a few news cycles and then again when it came to trial.

After all, they are Penn

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

My mother, as an educator, has a legal obligation to report the possibility of a child being abused.

She is also required to file this with the state directly, you do not need the cooperation of your superiors, and you are in violation if you look the other way.

I wonder how this is also not a law in PA.

We had an issue where she was teaching at a (Catholic) school and there were suggestions that a child was being abused at home. Her superiors wanted her to keep quiet, but she couldn't.

You know, she didn't even blink in reporting it. The thought of losing her job was not even a factor in the decision.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from myperspective. Show myperspective's posts

Amherst but I showed up about a decade later.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]**UPDATE** Just had a minor melt down at work. Guy was debating with another guy publicly as more news is starting to come out about this. It got HEATED. He was actually reading the pages of the indictment that were really graphic out loud.

*head desk*

That right there is at minimum incredibly poor taste.  Reading out graphic details of a heinous crime?  Beyond boorish.  Doing so at work?  Jesus....  What an idiot.

I'm glad you were supported by some of your more emotionally intelligent colleagues.  And your response to him was good - professional and to the point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Nobody's rationalizing it, CSean. What happened was a sin. A series of sins.

But Lioness asked a work question. Current events are going to come up at work - how does one handle them?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

[QUOTE]My mother, as an educator, has a legal obligation to report the possibility of a child being abused. [/QUOTE]

Dims, I was wondering the same thing.  I suppose it's possible that college professors and coaches aren't mandated reporters because they don't have contact with children as part of their profession; they work with adults.  Speculation.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

In Response to I need assistance.:
    [QUOTE]Hi all LLers, As I know you give good advice, I need some in a hurry. At work yesterday, I fed into a co-worker trying to rile me up about a situation. (I know this is my fault.) I calmly stated my point about the current PSU scandal and thought we could have an adult, friendly debate. (I'm an alum, this is close to hom.) Apparently I was wrong in forming an opinion, and a guy that I work directly with bit my head off with, "Alright, so you're okay with pedophiles and kids being assaulted. Good." I felt ill at this. He promptly then went around the office to different people repeating what I said and egging them to talk about me the remainder of the day. You know, like little girls spreading gossip in 7th grade. (Mind you, i'm 24, he's in his late 30's!) I chose to ignore him and was going to bring it up this morning and ask if he felt he went a little overboard. But he came in and when I wasn't chatty with him, started telling cubemates that I was mad and wouldn't speak to him because "boo hoo, she's soooo wrong." This is complicated much more by the fact that I am a victim of sexual assault. It REALLY upset me that anyone would EVER associate me with that. Such as in hyperventilating crying on my way home. It brought up alot of bad feelings. I'm not sure where to go with this. I don't want to talk about my past with him or my boss. But I don't want to deal with a child either. I have to work side by side with him every day. Could an email be approriate in this situation? I know that if I talk to him I will get upset again.  

Ummmm you report him to HR... I'm not usually one to say - run to HR!!! but in this case, that's exactly what you do. He's harrassing you, spreading rumors, and upsetting you in a very immature way.

I've had something similar happen once, I didn't report it, rumors spread and because I did nothing about it, he thought he could physically grope me AT WORK. Said  - you didn't seem to mind my teasing...

honestly - report him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Sean, I wasn't saying rationalizing an excuse for Paterno is a good thing.  I was telling you that I thought your take on nittany's statement was wrong, and that you could lay off.

Sections
Shortcuts