Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving

In Response to Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving:
    [QUOTE]My ideas if you happen to be alone this Thanksgiving: 1) Go somewhere fun.  Dude Ranch or Camden, Maine or an Ashram (there are some in Western Mass and in Montreal.  I particularly like the one in the Bahamas) 2) There is a restaurant in Newburyport that is a gathering place for those that are alone - I think they open at 4:00 pm. Anyone else have ideas that they want to share?
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick[/QUOTE]

Go down to NYC - watch the parade and then go from there. You will meet people and if of open mind, you will have fun.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

Volunteer at a soup kitchen.  If there's ever somewhere to put your life in perspective and give thanks, it's spending time hearing peoples' stories and hardships that will make you appreciate everything you have!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If you're really worried about spending the day alone, go to a church or synagogue
    or your choice of house of worship this weekend, and find out if there will be a pot luck or some sort of gathering that is open to anyone who would like to attend and bring a food contribution.  Sign up if there is a sign up sheet and plan what you would like to bring, and make something special to share. 

This might also include finding out if the church is offering or doing anything for shut-ins that are alone and do not have transportation, where you could go and bring someone a meal and spend some time with someone who would love to have you for a dinner companion. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

In Response to Re: Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving:
    [QUOTE]Volunteer at a soup kitchen.  If there's ever somewhere to put your life in perspective and give thanks, it's spending time hearing peoples' stories and hardships that will make you appreciate everything you have!
    Posted by naturalginger[/QUOTE]

This is a great idea!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

You have three days to practice, woman!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

Thanks for the kudos Dread!

I did this one Thanksgiving a few years back when I was living in Seattle - a snowstorm shut down the roads so I couldn't get to my family, and consequently the weather kept most volunteers away from the downtown area where the soup kitchen was located.  My roommate and I went and had the greatest time! So many amazing people to talk to and stories to hear.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

I used to work in homeless shelters in Boston for years, and on Thanksgiving and Christmas the places are dripping with volunteers.  We were happy to see them, of course, but we did wish people would be willing to volunteer a few of the other 363 days of the year as well, when the need was just as great.  Most shelters and volunteer hot spots are full up on T'giving and Christmas. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

giblet gravy - easy peasy

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

actually CHC i dont have any recipe as ive been just doing it by taste for years...

but, you take the heart, gizzard, neck and anything else they give you....

boil it real good.....once its been boiled in salted water..

chop up all the pieces very fine... really fine...

set aside until the turkey is done... when turkey is done... you will take turkey out of hte pan its been in and let sit for a bit...
    the pan in which the turkey roasted/baked in, put on the stove... medium heat...
    scrape all the juices and remmants of the cooking from the pan....add either the leftover potato water or chicken broth to the pan....
    keep scraping the bottom of the pan and getting all the burned, cooked skin and or juices... loosen them up....
    stirring the water/broth and mixing all the good stuff together... add some white wine...some salt, pepper some lea and perrins. and Maggi...
    taste... keep sitrring... add a little flour to thicken... maybe some boullion and more maggi...
    when you're almost done and still letting the turkey sit for a bit... add the finely diced giblets to the gravy...
    put on simmer and stir occasionally...

sorry i dont have definite amounts... i go by taste and by eye.. thats the way my mom taught me...

believe it or not.. the giblets add soooo much to the gravy...

college guy hastes it that way. but he wont get anyhting different at our house this weekend and i know he'll like it....

yummo...

hope this helps CHC

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

Last time I was alone on Turkey Day was 2001 - in my little apartment in Knoxville, I got up late, having spent the previous night (yeah, all of it, some 12 hours total) talking to my new GF via phone, AIM and Hotmail Instant Messenger (3 guesses and the first 2 don't count as to whom that new GF turned out to be!).  I ate steak and watched "Gladiator" on my DVD player and enjoyed the day off from work. :-)

This year, the wife and I will be doing the big meal on the big day with friends in Somerville, then going on the weekend up to my folks' house in Maine and doing another dinner with them on Saturday.  Besides, Mom said she'd make pumpkin *and* apple pies (both favourites) if we promised to bring one of them back home with us!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

I don't see why people think being alone on a holiday is such a bad thing. I actually prefer it.

It's long been a tradition of mine to visit some certain friends for pie & coffee on Thanksgiving afternoon - after the big meal. I've been doing this for 30 something years. (except if I'm away like this year)

After my divorce I spent the next couple Thankgivings having dinner at their house with their various children, their spouces and the brood of grandchilren. I can't tell you how miserable it was to be at the "Walton's Family Thanksgiving". All those people. It was such a hassle.

I much prefer just enjoying a glass of eggnog & watching the Macy's parade in the privacy of my own livingroom, by myself. I am thankfull for the solitude - peace and quiet. I don't bother creating any elaborate meal.

So many people have complained to me about having to go over to such&such a relative for the holidays, how much they are dreading it, how much they hate various members of their family. I always say "Then why are you going?". If you hate it then the answer is simple - don't go!!  I'm not here to appease the people who happen to have the same genetics as I. The only family that matters to me is my wife & kids. The rest of them can go take a flying leap of they don't like the way I do things.

Many people enjoy the comraderie of their family at the holidays. If you like it that's great! Go to it and have fun. But if you're going to complain about having to visit mom&dad and all the siblings then just stay home and make your own traditions. If it's not gonna be fun don't do it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

I just like getting dressed up and wearing a fancy hat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PowerCord. Show PowerCord's posts

Feed the homeless.  You won't feel so bad about being alone.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

Come feed me while my lady is away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seebell. Show Seebell's posts

Wow everyone.......such wonderful suggestions......I'm happy I'll be with family this Thanksgiving......
    But one thing that I know is - you never know what circumstances you may end up in someday or when you can end up alone (even thru no fault of your own).......and it's nice to know there are happy places to go ...............

"May there be Peace on Earth and Goodwill toward all men and women".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

The movies are a nice place to go on Thanksgiving - no one else is there, you have the whole place to yourself!  And it's pretty kid-free, too!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

[QUOTE]If you're really worried about spending the day alone, go to a church or synagogue or your choice of house of worship this weekend, and find out if there will be a pot luck or some sort of gathering that is open to anyone who would like to attend and bring a food contribution.  Sign up if there is a sign up sheet and plan what you would like to bring, and make something special to share.  This might also include finding out if the church is offering or doing anything for shut-ins that are alone and do not have transportation, where you could go and bring someone a meal and spend some time with someone who would love to have you for a dinner companion. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

yogafriend, Again, I totally agree with you.  I would have said the same thing except not as beautifully as you.

I also like wizen's idea of going to the movies. I would love to do this on Christmas Day too. 

The year that my husband passed away, I needed to do something untraditional for the holidays. For the first couple of years, on Thanksgiving we got dressed up & went out for dinner & on Christmas we went out for Chinese.  After that, the kids insisted on continuing with the traditional family dinner at home.

The older I get, I prefer dinners with less people or to do something untraditional but I'll have to wait until it's only myself & the cat at home.

CHC, I'm very sorry about the recent loss of your mother.  My condolences.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving : yogafriend, Again, I totally agree with you.  I would have said the same thing except not as beautifully as you. I also like wizen's idea of going to the movies. I would love to do this on Christmas Day too.  The year that my husband passed away, I needed to do something untraditional for the holidays. For the first couple of years, on Thanksgiving we got dressed up & went out for dinner & on Christmas we went out for Chinese.  After that, the kids insisted on continuing with the traditional family dinner at home. The older I get, I prefer dinners with less people or to do something untraditional but I'll have to wait until it's only myself & the cat at home. CHC, I'm very sorry about the recent loss of your mother.  My condolences.
    Posted by Another-Veronica[/QUOTE]

Love it.  And thank you, sweet A/V.  You are so totally the bomb. 

I also
    LOVE the idea of going to the movies.   This is actually better than staying in and watching movies at home, because it gives the person who is alone a chance to get out of the house and feel fine about being alone.  It's empowering. 

I so agree with going the non-traditional route for food.  One year when we had a quiet Christmas for a few reasons, my family also had Chinese food, and we laughed ourselves silly at the idea we were able to pull it off.  We then tried to go to the movies, but couldn't get in b/c it was too crowded and sold out! 

When you go the non-traditional route, you take so much pressure off, b/c it's as though you are saying, I can do this my own way, I don't have to do what society says I have to do today, and eat the food that makes the holiday what it is.   I remember when my Mum started making things like tabouli, and baking the potatoes and sweet potatoes and stopped making mashed potatoes, and lots of other things to shake things up.   We were all FINE with just having lasagna, too.  We didn't care if we had a turkey.  We did not put that much emphasis on the meal anymore.  All the extra food was not necessary  (you do miss the leftovers, I admit it!)

The food does not necessarily make the holiday.   If you're going to be alone, and you're fine with it, go the non-traditional route, have your own Thanksgiving dinner your own way.  Put your signature on it.  It might even become your new tradition. 
    Smile

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

One last idea if you're going to be alone and really want to be by yourself, to which I say, all power to you. 

Read.  If you have a good book you're engaged in, then spend the day reading.  If you've been wanting to get yourself something new, get it this week, so you'll know you have that to look forward to next Thursday.  

Spending the day reading is like a dream day for some people.  Put on some nice music, get into something cozy ... I bet you anything there will be people who would be envious that you had a day to yourself to read. 

And if you belong to a fitness club, work out in the morning when most clubs will be open.  Have a good workout. clean up, and feel good that you got some exercise when most people will just be sitting around for the day. 

Treat yourself.  Indulge yourself.  Most of us never have time to really have a day to ourselves, so give yourself a free pass and make the most of it.