Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Re: Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving

RE:  Traditional holiday foods.

This reminded me of something that happened when I was little.  We went to my aunt and uncles house for Christmas dinner that year, and they had made a big roast beef, which sounds normal, but we'd always had turkey for Xmas, so there was some grumbling.  When we sat down to eat, my dad, who was my uncle's twin brother, said "I'll have a leg."  Everyone laughed, but I did see a little steam seeping out of my uncle's ears.

Can't have a holiday without a little drama, I guess.

For those who don't want to spend the holiday alone, I'm sure my church is not the only one that plays matchmaker and helps to pair up people who have nowhere to go with those who have an extra seat at their table.  It can be a fun way to meet new people.  (And I agree with those who say to volunteer on other days.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

I agree that the idea of non-traditional holidays and holiday meals are great. While growing up we had turkey exactly twice a year, every year - Thanksgiving & Christmas. When I first moved out on my own I continued with the Turkey at Thnxgiving & X-Mas mostly because my job gave each of the employees a turkey every year. I quickly changed to having ham at Christmas cuz I was sick of eating turkey for the previous month before.

Now I don't usually bother making any kind of special meal for Thanksgiving and usually make roast lamb for Christmas. I love lamb but eat it very rarely so like to make it as my special meal for Christmas - as a treat for myself.

I think the idea of service to others (volunteering) is a great one, especially if you prefer to not be alone on holidays. I think most people will find that they end up getting so much more than they give by volunteering their time and effort - and if not, you can choose to skip it next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

yogafriend,  I always enjoy reading your posts & I agree with your last two here. You're the best.  That's all I can say.

WillmyDear, I agree that turkey on both Thanksgiving & Christmas is too much turkey so I've always made ham on Christmas.  The last few years I've been going to a relative's home for Thanksgiving so I've been getting away with cooking the turkey but at times I miss it. It gets tough making a complete meal all alone for so many people.  Ham is more easy.  It's those baked stuffed shells that take a long time.

A great untraditional holiday SOMEDAY would be meeting (new or not) posters & going out for Chinese & then to a movie.  Now that would be a holiday to remember. Smile

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

In Response to Re: Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving:
    [QUOTE] A great untraditional holiday SOMEDAY would be meeting (new or not) posters & going out for Chinese & then to a movie.  Now that would be a holiday to remember.
    Posted by Another-Veronica[/QUOTE]

If someone wants to arrainge that I'm all for it! Either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day or even the day after. I have no particular plans. I have a feeling that very few LLers would go for it though. I think most will have some sort of "family" plans

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittensmittons. Show kittensmittons's posts

I have no plans Will. My lady done gone and left me for a man.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

WillmyDear, I'd enjoy meeting you & the other posters. Maybe a day, time & place can be set & whoever is able to make it, terrific. I'm game.

Not sure if I can make it the exact day or on the 'eve' or day after the holidays because of my 2nd job (retail) but perhaps somewhere in the middle between Christmas & New Years? 

When my kids are older, I'll be more flexible. If the cat lets me out......

kittensmittons, Ouch.  Sorry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

[QUOTE]yogafriend,  I always enjoy reading your posts & I agree with your last two here. You're the best.  That's all I can say. WillmyDear, I agree that turkey on both Thanksgiving & Christmas is too much turkey so I've always made ham on Christmas.  The last few years I've been going to a relative's home for Thanksgiving so I've been getting away with cooking the turkey but at times I miss it. It gets tough making a complete meal all alone for so many people.  Ham is more easy.  It's those baked stuffed shells that take a long time. A great untraditional holiday SOMEDAY would be meeting (new or not) posters & going out for Chinese & then to a movie.  Now that would be a holiday to remember.

Thanksgiving is always turkey (and will be for my Mom, sister, BIL and I in a week - but just a turkey breast or a small bird).  But I also got tired of having it twice in 4 weeks.  So for the past 5 or so years, when Mom and I are on our own for Christmas (if my sister and BIL are going to his family's), I go to BJ's and get a beef tenderloin and make a roasted beef tenderloin with a cognac sauce (recipe's on Epicurious if anyone's interested).  We (actually "I", since I'm the one doing the cooking and Mom sits and chats :::grin:::) get to change up ALL of the sides as well - Mom will bring fruit tartlets for dessert from a local bakery, and it's just something different but still just as good.  AND she gets plenty of leftovers to bring home.

And A-V - I think an LL Orphan holiday gathering would be GREAT fun!  I'm not sure what's going on for Christmas for me - Mom might go to my stepbrother's, and I'm usually invited there as well.  But if there's going to be a LL gathering - Eve, Day or even if it's sometime in the week between, please count me in!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

LWhitt, Christmas at your home sounds nice with that delicious beef tenderloin.

It'd be great to see you again.  It's been a while.  There is the LL event on Friday, December 10th. A lot of the LL group are not going to the movie but meeting for drinks before &/or after instead in the Davis Square area.

I'm not sure if I'm able to go as I'll have to find someone to switch nights with me at work but maybe I can catch up with the gang later if I can't find anyone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

I'll be at the non-movie gathering, A-V (thanks to JBar), so I hope to see you again as well!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]yogafriend,  I always enjoy reading your posts & I agree with your last two here. You're the best. 

I love that we have the same sentiments, b/c I think of you as such a nice person, so thank you again!  People are going to think I am paying you to say such nice things!    ha ha!

Seriously, I think this thread should be bumped up for the entire holiday season.  There are some wonderful ideas here.  

PS  The check is in the mail ... I made it out to Cher,.  Hope that's ok
    Love,
    Audrey
    Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

ANOTHER IDEA:

Not to do on Thanksgiving, but over the holidays ...

If you have a chance to go to a wine-tasting event, GO (if you like wine, that is)

I am not a big drinker and have limited knowledge of wine ... but I went to a wine tasting event yesterday and I cannot tell you how much FUN I had and how great it was!!  

There were tables set up with wines from many, many vendors, and with all sorts of high-end crackers and dips, and the wine was flowing.  And the samples were flowing, as many as you wanted.   I love champagne, and tasted a champagne from Oregon that was awesome.  Will probably buy a bottle.  The Oregon wines were also awesome.  The pacific northwest rocks the vineyards. 

Flirting was in high gear, the wine was fantastic, as was the food.  It was a total blast.  I wish I could have stayed longer. 

Highly recommend going to such an event alone or with a friend ... you may need a designated driver to drive home.Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Done many non traditional things on the holiday. A few times I hosted an orphan's TDay dinner which was fun. I've also driven 3+ hours to meet my brother at a restaurant located halfway between our homes. Great meal then we went to the movies before driving home. And I've been alone. The times that I've been alone I cooked myself a nice meal (not necessarily the traditional meal) and enjoyed quiet time. The calls made to parent's house were most nerve racking because everyone was sure that I was suffering alone. But the rest of the day was great.

This year my brother will be alone. I just shipped him some holiday goodies that he can enjoy on TDay. He's not one to cook but said that many of the local food stores sell TDay plates so that he can still have a traditional holiday meal. He's planning to enjoy some quiet time.

As for Christmas, I stopped cooking on the holiday years ago. We have a nice Christmas eve dinner. Our Christmas breakfast is traditionally the chocolate santa or any candy from our stockings (similar to our Easter breakfast) then I'll make a hot brunch. Dinner is leftovers from the night before. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas for those who will be alone on Thanksgiving : I love that we have the same sentiments, b/c I think of you as such a nice person, so thank you again!  People are going to think I am paying you to say such nice things!    ha ha! Seriously, I think this thread should be bumped up for the entire holiday season.  There are some wonderful ideas here.   PS  The check is in the mail ... I made it out to Cher,.  Hope that's ok Love, Audrey
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

HA! That's the other way around. People will think I'm paying you to say such lovely things.  I'm really not that nice but I'm very sincere.

Not only are you a class act, you're quite funny too! 

Hope we're able to meet someday as I know Audrey & Cher would get along famously.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Volunteer at a soup kitchen.  If there's ever somewhere to put your life in perspective and give thanks, it's spending time hearing peoples' stories and hardships that will make you appreciate everything you have!
    Posted by naturalginger[/QUOTE]

I THOUGHT this was a good idea, but I found it to be impossible.

When I was first divorced years ago, I was taken back by how lousy I felt at T Giving.  I like "alone time" but I was surprised at how bad I felt that day.

So, the next year close to Turkey Day I called all around trying to volunteer someplace.  Too late they said.

Finally the following year, I tried to volunteer somplace very early in the season.  I was told that this was the time of year where EVERYONE thinks its a good idea to donate their time... not so much at Christmas.  I found it impossible to do it.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

My family has all passed away, and I have to admit, I always feel pretty sad on the night before Thanksgiving.  That's when mom and I would prepare the stuffing, peel the veggies, and hang out before everyone came over the next day. 

I am blessed with "the family I chose" - my dear friends.  Today, I'll be going to BFF's to spend the day with her extended family.  Lilfe is good - I only have to drive 5 miles, my "assigned dish" is wine, and since they're not MY relatives, none of them is annoying!

On Christmas Day, I host the dinner and include all my otherwise-alone friends who choose to come.

For those who are alone today, I hope you enjoy the peacefulness of the day.  There's a Star Trek The Next Generation marathon on BBC America today.  If I was going to be home, I'd be hunkered down on the couch dreaming of the day when Jean Luc and I could be together (ooops, I'm married, I forgot)!

Don't forget to listen to Alice's Restaurant at noon and 4 on ZLX.  A Thanksgiving tradition for all of us former hippies!

Peace and Love!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Happy Thanksgiving, Lovelies. I hope you're all having a very special day.

xo

rdg

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Cosmogirl, I'm glad you had friends to spend the day with!  {{{{hugs to you}}}}  And I got to hear most of "Alice's Restaurant" on WXRV at noontime as well...I'm not a former hippie, but it's a definite "must hear" on Thanksgiving Day!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

I spent it facedown sick in bed, which amazingly was not on the very helpful list of suggestions people listed.  As long as everyone had a better day than I did, you are golden!  Feel free to use me as the 'at least I didn't do THAT' victim. 

:D

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I spent it facedown sick in bed, which amazingly was not on the very helpful list of suggestions people listed.  As long as everyone had a better day than I did, you are golden!  Feel free to use me as the 'at least I didn't do THAT' victim.  :D
    Posted by diamondgirl[/QUOTE

You didn't want to play touch football yesterday anyhow, did you?

Frown

Maybe you'll feel better over the weekend and someone will bring you some left overs (sorry if that isn't the right thing to say if you're feeling queasy) -- hope you feel better soon.  

Nice music, a good book, your honey pie there to console you ... mmmmmm.   Hope it's nothing too serious, b/c another day in bed sounds like something we could all use.   Take care, DG!

ps I did *not* get up to go shopping at 3AM.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Aww, DG, so sorry to hear you were sick yesterday!  Being sick on a holiday is NEVER fun!  I hope you're feeling better very soon and can have a late holiday dinner - Hopefully your doctor-in-residence will keep you tucked in bed today and feed you chicken soup.  :-)

And yf - I didn't turn off the light until about 1am, so there was NO way I was getting up at 3am to go shopping!  LOL