Leprosy/Hansen's Disease

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

Re: Leprosy/Hansen's Disease

I dunno, Sally.  Is it any different than when we diagnose each letter writer as having assburgers?  I honestly don't know where to draw the line anymore. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

I missed a lot of what went on today with removed posts, as I actually had to work.  But I agree with McBrob in that when people (smilingly) say the LW has assburgers, it can be hurtful.  There are a lot of people out there who suffer and/or live with Aspergers, autism, etc.  Probably more than those that suffer from leprosy.

It was an extremely poor choice of phrasing for both the blog title as well as the LW's signature.  That's why I mentioned the former in my first post on the blog this morning.

Now if someone's an asshat, that's a horse of a different color.  An asshat is an asshat is an asshat.  No getting around that.  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

I don't think it is funny, personally.  But I don't find it funny when people slip on ice or fall off a bike, either, and they have tv shows about that.

'Leper' has kind of entered the English language as a synonym for 'pariah,' something that we are able to handle because we are lucky enough in this country that almost no one has leprosy.  Kind of the way we make fun of the bubonic plague, which is actually making a comeback in some places.  It has the air of a disease that 'no one ever gets anymore.'  Like scurvy. 

I feel that if it were more current in this country, people would be more sensitive.  No one makes fun of cancer patients, for example.

I also feel that there is a difference between saying 'everyone is treating me like a leper,' for example, and telling tasteless jokes.  In the same way that you can say 'Stop pointing!  I'm not BLIND!' but telling Helen Keller jokes is tasteless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: Leprosy/Hansen's Disease:
    I also feel that there is a difference between saying 'everyone is treating me like a leper,' for example, and telling tasteless jokes.  In the same way that you can say 'Stop pointing!  I'm not BLIND!' but telling Helen Keller jokes is tasteless.
    Posted by diamondgirl

VERY good point, dg.  As you said - when the word leper is used in the manner of meaning "a pariah", it's acceptable.  But I still think it was an unfortunate use of the word by the LW and, therefore, the follow-on by whoever created the blog's subject heading.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Yeah, the LW used it first, so I kind of give the headline writer a 50% pass.  Kind of.  Well, maybe not.  I don't know.

But the hockey joke was gross.  Whether it should have been removed....?  Well, this site is NOT really a public place; it is not a 'free speech' environment, so if the joke upset some of the readers, I feel that BDC was right to remove it.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

to me i find the blog and the forum to be 2 interesting tools.

believe it or not i have learned alot from both.

one to be more sensitive to others feelings/ convictions/ beliefs, and how to appropriately deliver a message without sounding like a complete snot.

that said, i do listen, and hear the tone of people's passion on certains topics/issues, and i am usually(99% i think) very sympatico to not step on anyone's toes when it comes to hurting anothers' feelings.

so, in my post on the blog, i have noticed that sometimes there is a bullying type mentality that just because several peeps feel one way about a topic, we all should feel the same way.
    and if one doesnt, oh heck, you're thrown into the pyre.

its not like that in life, nor should it be here. ive met alot of you and i can honestly say, you ALL are very nice people, and i get dissappointed in how it sometimes get swayed to all fall into one corner.

passion about something is a wonderful feeling/emotion, but not everyone does or should feel the same way. please be sympathetic to how others feel on any topic that could cause controversy

and just because not everyone agrees with that opinion, doesnt mean you have to take your ball and go home...
    we are in the united states of america, remember that...

i honestly have enjoyed you all. and i do mean that...
    this is just something that i noticed today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

But it *is* a public place, in that the forums, blog, etc. are open for all to read, DG.  I didn't see the hockey joke (and don't think I want to!), but it's the BDC's right to pull anything they don't see fit within the parameters that they've set (which we got to re-read earlier this morning when the Min posted the 5 or 6 points).  As has been said by Mods before, the "free speech" thing doesn't fly here - it's their site, we play by their rules.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Wait a minute - where did Sally's original post starting this forum thread go?  Did someone ACTUALLY REPORT IT and it got removed????????  SERIOUSLY?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

"But it *is* a public place, in that the forums, blog, etc. are open for all to read, DG.  I didn't see the hockey joke (and don't think I want to!), but it's the BDC's right to pull anything they don't see fit within the parameters that they've set"

That is actually what I just said.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  Some people like to complain about how they can say whatever they want, because BDC can't censor 'the public.'

It's NOT public in that sense, like City Hall Plaza.  It's only public in the 'available to the public' sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

sally's posts when poof?

she must have had them delete her profile.

she didnt need to do that!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PoohBear44. Show PoohBear44's posts

Wait a minute - where did Sally's original post starting this forum thread go?  Did someone ACTUALLY REPORT IT and it got removed????????  SERIOUSLY?
    Posted by LWhitt58

Thank you LWhitt, I thought I was losing my mind.  I came here to see what all the hub bub was about and never saw Sally's post.  And now EVERY ONE of her comments are gone.

Have we entered the twilight zone?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

She was planning to leave anyway.  I am pretty certain she asked to be wiped.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

Yep, everything about Sal is gone. Agreed, she didn't have to do it - but I can see her frustration.

The last couple days have been bizarro world around here.

Tuesday she was accused of being racist and today she was harped on for defending her personal convictions.

I might have left under those circumstances, too.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

I respect Guppy for having strong opinions, but once he gets the bit between his teeth, he certainly goes for broke.  I dial it down rather get into with Gupps.  It is so easy to kill the tone of the day on the blog.

Guppy, if you are in here, I would rather discuss with you over beers than over teh Interwebz. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

DIMMY i totally agree

but i dont think sally was attacked anymore than when she's gone on the attack

just me sitting back and watching all that went on...

maybe, just maybe if one is going to throw a grenade, then one should wear a helmet.

just saying...

i will miss sally for sure..and that, IS a serious statement

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

Jeeps brings a good point - it's really the site's fault for the "unfairness" of it all.

When people start getting offended - BDC gets involved and rather arbitrarily removes posts. Problem is, some people report abuse, others don't.

Seriously - if the blanket requirement for post removal is "offensive content" the board would be empty.

It gets dicey when you have the Mod telling us basically, that our jokes are "hate speech" - that takes it a little far, in my opinion. There's a difference between tasteless and cruel. Albeit a thin line, very open to interpretation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink. Show ItDoesntMatterWhatIThink's posts

DIMMY i totally agree but i dont think sally was attacked anymore than when she's gone on the attack just me sitting back and watching all that went on... maybe, just maybe if one is going to throw a grenade, then one should wear a helmet. just saying... i will miss sally for sure..and that, IS a serious statement
    Posted by backbaybabe

Absolutely true.
    We all have our breaking points though, and presumably she reached hers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Sally has definitely, officially asked for her profile to be deleted, by the way.  I had it straight from Sal herself.  She wanted to make sure there were no misguided petitions to 'reinstate' her.  So, that is that.  We can let the Mods and the other posters be on that account.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

i do feel bad that sally felt so strongly to leave. its only a blog.

she clearly comes off as having thick skin, but when attacked from someone whom you most probably do NOT know, it does show that she just as vulnerable as the next, and Sally, im going to say sorry before i write this...

what you dealt, was like looking in a mirror, it came right back at you...

as i always said, its all in the delivery!!!

i hope this will be a lesson learned

please surprise us Sally and come back soon as a new lurker...

you'll be missed

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

ok, now you all can hate me...

Sections
Shortcuts