Let me showcase how witty and/or intolerant I am!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR-VT. Show JAR-VT's posts

Re: Let me showcase how witty and/or intolerant I am!

I gots it. I gots it.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to change the poll to add a "keep it the way it is" box.

In a lot of ways, the thread is exactly the same way the LLs are!! Since I am in a good mood today, I will just say that you are all special people with your own ways of communicating your feelings. How 2nd grade teacher is that?!

And I liked the bit of advice that my special opinion is not going to save the LW. Very good. I guess I should just get over the fact that I am not committed enough to put a timer on the LL entry of the day to get my oh-so-wise, witty, and wonderful comments put up ultra early. I can live with that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR-VT. Show JAR-VT's posts

In Response to Re: Let me showcase how witty and/or intolerant I am!:
    [QUOTE]Was it the Pootie tang letter? I loved that letter, I just had no advice so I quoted Pootie Tang when he went to order the rib. It was an LOLcoaster kind of day.
    Posted by Sally-[/QUOTE]

Oh Sally... you guess right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40something. Show 40something's posts

JAR_VT: I totally agree with you. I doubt very much the LW actually sifts through all the crap that shows up in the chat so I too would question how beneficial it is. I used to post on every letter but less frequently now as it is too frustrating and time consuming.

Some people post on this forum all day long and one has to assume that they must be state or municipal workers or unemployed because I can't imagine a private employer would tolerate the lack of productivity very long.

Unfortunately, this is typical of forums on the internet, things always start out great but eventually the forum gets hijacked and foolishness rules.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR-VT. Show JAR-VT's posts

[QUOTE]Yet these same people you mock are the ones you asked for advice.  And you've been on this blog more than a year so you knew what it was like. So this "poll" and the ensuing insults were in retaliation for the fact that you didn't like the commentary on your letter?  Because it sure seems that way.
    Posted by Lily-[/QUOTE]

Lily-- I wrote this yesterday, shortly after starting this thread:

First: 5/26/2010
    Last: 10/13/2011
    Let's just say I didn't agree with certain people's advice, even when it didn't have to do with me. And I have gotten offended on behalf of LWs when I had no personal stake involved due to many of the comments. I knew what I was getting into when I wrote. And Meredith's advice was great. Perhaps I should not have divulged that I wrote in at all, as it clearly makes it seem like I am being cry-baby-ish about it, or skews the intent of my posting about it in this forum.

Personally, I enjoy people writing back in over the course of the morning, or whatnot, looking at the letter from different angles and I would not want to hinder that process for anybody. However, it is frustrating when a person feels that they genuinely can provide some guidance for a person and there are 791 comments at 11:30a and only 200 of those are valuable advice. What the chance of the LW reading even all 200 is, I do not know.

Also, (1) I will say that almost all of the people who responded to this post provide valuable guidance on a daily basis and (2) I have not evaluated the importance of the "refreshing" and revisiting of the site in regards to revenue and that's a good point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hennymcpenny. Show hennymcpenny's posts

One thing's for sure:  The day a letter of mine is posted on LL will be the day I read every single comment, including the OT ones, in the hopes of finding any poster who will validate me and tell me I'm not a stupeyhead for getting myself into my sorry predicament.  I don't care if I have to wade through 1500 insults and comments about body parts.  I'm gonna find that one commenter who gets me.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Jar- I also wrote a letter and there was some great advice and there was some not-so-great advice. No big deal. Its like asking 1000 of your closest friends what you should have for dinner. Some will offer genuine suggestions, some will tell you to starve because you could use to lose some weight.

You are coming to a very public blog asking people for advice. If you really think people are only going to post one comment and go away, clearly you dont understand the dynamics of a blog. 

And, we dont own the blog, why dont you ask Meredith or the MODs or the owners of BDC. They are the ones that can change it, certainly not us. This has become so asinine  a question. I am really tired of people complaining about it. If you have a grip, take it up with the powers that be. Quite wasting time here becasue its not going to change.

PS- And dont you think, that if bdc, meredith, or the powers that be had an issue with it, they would have done something about it???? Clearly, they havent, so what does that tell you??

PPS- Here is a suggestion, copy and paste the question of the day in the forums and request only sincere advice for the LW. That way you dont have to be bothered with us, you get to help the LW specifically. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR-VT. Show JAR-VT's posts

I don't know what the point of my thread is at this point either. I guess what I was trying to say was that there are sometimes when I would really like for the LW to get my advice, as I can tell they are honestly in pain, and I would honestly like to help them. But I can't because they would have to weed through a bunch of OT conversations. However, like I said earlier, even if they did read my post, would it save them/the world/etc? Probably not.

I like *most* of the people on here. And some of the stuff is really funny (like whoever that "occupy" poster was).

Anway, I think I'll shut down the thread...given that I can't change the poll, majority rule has indicated that they enjoy things they way they are, some people have validated my concerns, and lastly, that Meredith and the powers that be support the current format.

Thanks all for your comments.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]I gots it. I gots it. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to change the poll to add a "keep it the way it is" box. In a lot of ways, the thread is exactly the same way the LLs are!! Since I am in a good mood today, I will just say that you are all special people with your own ways of communicating your feelings. How 2nd grade teacher is that?! And I liked the bit of advice that my special opinion is not going to save the LW. Very good. I guess I should just get over the fact that I am not committed enough to put a timer on the LL entry of the day to get my oh-so-wise, witty, and wonderful comments put up ultra early. I can live with that.
    Posted by JAR_VT[/QUOTE]

JAR_VT:   <3 <3 <3

(Unless I'm misreading your humorous tone, in which case, nevermind!  8^)  But I think I'm hearing you as you intended.  So easy to misconstrue nuance in print.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR-VT. Show JAR-VT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let me showcase how witty and/or intolerant I am! : JAR_VT:   <3 <3 <3 (Unless I'm misreading your humorous tone, in which case, nevermind!  8^)  But I think I'm hearing you as you intended.  So easy to misconstrue nuance in print.)
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Lots of love and acceptance was all I ever wanted, Sandwich ;) Even in person, my wit is so dry sometimes I don't even know if I'm joking.

If nothing else, I feel like I know many of the folks here even better, and in a good way. Too bad I live so far away and can't go to a LL event. Meredith is coming down this way and I am going to introduce myself at her booksigning.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hennymcpenny. Show hennymcpenny's posts

Nooo. You can't shut down the thread.  CHC gets me.  She really gets me.  And Sally- too!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

A good discussion is still a good discussion, even if there's fluff in it.  Glad you got something out of it, JAR.

Don't close the thread down - let people's comments stand.  I would also read every single comment if I wrote in a letter - I wouldn't want to miss that one nugget that might help - and I would also expect lots of nonsense in between if I'd ever read this blog before.  Don't think your advice doesn't help - sometimes the best advice comes after some of the first reactions, so don't ever let that stop you from chiming in!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from theprimesuspect. Show theprimesuspect's posts

[QUOTE]How do you shut a thread down?
    Posted by Sally-[/QUOTE]

Invade Pakistan and force the workers to stay home.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR-VT. Show JAR-VT's posts

You can't shut it down.

I guess you can't shut it down. And people prefer to have it left up. I thought you could delete the thread if you started it (like other places).

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hennymcpenny. Show hennymcpenny's posts

I usually just lick my fingers and tie a little knot at the end.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hennymcpenny. Show hennymcpenny's posts

True story.  When I was 14 during my summer vacation I worked in a sewing factory on the Lower East Side of NYC.  I got paid 25 cents for each skirt I sewed.  If the stitching wasn't right, you didn't get paid for the piece.  The lesson I learned from that was to stay in school and study harder.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

i love fluff

Sections
Shortcuts