Love Letters Recipes

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

Re: Love Letters Recipes

Ooh, good thread! I'll play along.  My folks had a fish market when I was a kid and our fish chowder was a really popular item.  If you substitute half and half for the cream it's not even very fattening. The recipe below comes from Jasper White, and it's identical to my folks' recipe.

• 4 ounces meaty salt pork, rind removed and cut into 1/3-inch dice
    • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 2 medium onions (14 ounces), cut into 3/4-inch dice
    • 6 to 8 sprigs fresh summer savory or thyme, leaves removed and chopped (1 tablespoon)
    • 2 dried bay leaves
    • 2 pounds Yukon Gold, Maine, PEI, or other all-purpose potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/3-inch thick
    • 5 cups fish stock (you can get this at any fish market. DON'T substitute chicken broth!)
    • Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 3 pounds skinless haddock or cod fillets, preferably over 1 inch thick.  I prefer cusk but you can't find it anywhere.
    • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (or up to 2 cups if desired).  I use 1/2 and 1/2

For garnish
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
    • 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives

1. Heat a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot over low heat and add the diced salt pork. Once it has rendered a few tablespoons of fat, increase the heat to medium and cook until the pork is a crisp golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cracklings to a small ovenproof dish, leaving the fat in the pot, and reserve until later.

2. Add the butter, onions, savory or thyme, and bay leaves to the pot and sauté, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for about 8 minutes, until the onions and softened but not browned.

3. Add the potatoes and stock. If the stock doesn’#over the potatoes, add just enough water to cover them. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, cover, and cook the potatoes vigorously for about 10 minutes, until they are soft on the outside but still firm in the center. If the stock hasn’4hickened lightly, smash a few of the potato slices against the side of the pot and cook for a minute or two longer to release their starch. Reduce the heat to low and season assertively with salt and pepper (you want to almost overseason the chowder at this point to avoid having to stir it much once the fish is added). Add the fish fillets and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat and allow the chowder to sit for 10 minutes (the fish will finish cooking during this time). I don't cut up the fish - I lay the whole fillets right in the pot.  When you're ready to serve you can break up the fish into chunks.

4. Gently stir in the cream and taste for salt and pepper. If you are not serving the chowder within the hour, let it cool a bit, then refrigerate; cover the chowder after it has chilled completely. Otherwise, let it sit for up to an hour at room temperature, allowing the flavors to meld.

My take on step 4 is a little different than Jasper's.  Instead of pouring the cream into the pot, I heat it in a separate pot, with a tablespoon of butter, until it's near the boil.  Then I combine it with the stock.  There's something about heating the cream first that lessens the shock of adding it to the hot stock, and the fisk retains its firmness better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

I love to cook - in fact, my hairdresser knows it as well, and his sister is hosting a "Chopped" competition next Saturday at her house, and I came home from errands today to a message asking me to be a judge for their upcoming competition!  I won't be cooking, but I *will* be eating - I can do that!  LOL

So it seems we're working on soup recipes here.  I have two favorites - a Beef-Barley-Vegetable Soup, and a Chicken and Grilled Corn Chowder with Roasted Red Peppers, but the first seems appropriate for our cool, autumn weather.

Beef-Barley-Vegetable Soup

Serves 8 (my notes say "cut recipe in half to fit in 5 qt. stockpot")

2 lb beef shank -- OR, do as my mother always did and use leftover beef chuck roast
    2 Tbsp olive oil -- omit if using leftover beef
    5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
    5 stalks celery, sliced
    2 large onions, sliced
    3/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
    11 cups water
    3/4 cup barley
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp dried oregano, or more to taste
    1/2 tsp pepper, or more to taste
    2 beef bouillon cubes
    1 bay leaf

Brown beef shank in 1 Tbsp. hot olive oil; remove from pot and cut up.  (Omit this step if not using beef shank.)

Cook carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms in remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil until onions are slightly transparent.  Return beef to pot.  Add water, barley, salt, bay leaf, oregano, pepper and bouillon cubes.  Bring to a boil; stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef and barley are tender.  Remove bay leaf and serve with crusty French bread.

LWhitt58

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JTB8773. Show JTB8773's posts

From Ina Garten - my all time favorite soup!

Ingredients

For the meatballs:

• 3/4 pound ground chicken
    • 1/2 pound chicken sausage, casings removed
    • 2/3 cup fresh white bread crumbs
    • 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
    • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    • 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
    • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
    • 3 tablespoons milk
    • 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the soup:

• 2 tablespoons good olive oil
    • 1 cup minced yellow onion
    • 1 cup diced carrots (3 carrots), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
    • 3/4 cup diced celery (2 stalks), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
    • 10 cups homemade chicken stock
    • 1/2 cup dry white wine
    • 1 cup small pasta such as tubetini or stars
    • 1/4 cup minced fresh dill (can use dried just reduce to 1/8 cup)
    • 12 ounces baby spinach, washed and trimmed

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the meatballs, place the ground chicken, sausage, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Pecorino, Parmesan, milk, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl and combine gently with a fork. With a teaspoon, drop 1 to 1 1/4-inch meatballs onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (You should have about 40 meatballs. They don't have to be perfectly round.) Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside.

In the meantime, for the soup, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and saute until softened, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken stock and wine and bring to a boil. Add the pasta to the simmering broth and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Add the fresh dill and then the meatballs to the soup and simmer for 1 minute. Taste for salt and pepper. Stir in the fresh spinach and cook for 1 minute, until the spinach is just wilted. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle each serving with extra grated Parmesan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

ohhh, this is fun

awesome white bean and turkey chili - just made it last night. yummo

20 oz ground turkey
    2 green peppers
    2 pobleno peppers
    2 jalepeno peppers
    4 gloves garlic - minced
    1 large onion - chopped
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon coriander
    2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
    2 15.5 cans of white beans
    1/4 cup cilantro
    tablespoon lime juice

drain 1 can beans and set aside to drain access juices from beans. the other can of beans, drain and puree not too much but a thick bean mixture

saute onions, all three types of peppers and garlic.
    add ground turkey. cook all ingrediants together....add the bean mixture... stirring occasionally...
    slowly add the chicken stock... stir simmer for a bit
    add the cumin and coriander, stir

add the whole beans and let simmer..
    then finally add the chopped cilantro.

add to taste:
    more cumin or cilantro... and for more thickness add less whole beans and more bean mixutre..
    the cumin, cilantro and 3 different types of peppers can really givee it some punch...

makes approx 4-5 servings, and under 250 cals per.

love this recipe and i HATE beans, but love this one

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72. Show a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72's posts

I made some chicken cordon-bleu with a spinach twist this past weekend.  It came out pretty good but the mushroom & wine sauce I tried out was too dry.  I need to try a dessert wine I think. I also made rice with broiled mushrooms and onions but that was kind of blah.  That needed more flavor. But my daughter liked it and I got to tell the ex "No - I DIDNT make her eat fast food all weekend."  Even when we went to Salem yesterday we ate at Rockafellas (Pumpkin ravioli in a butter/sage sauce) and it was delicious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

Ok, here's another soup - this one's from PeaceGirl.  It's called Zero Point Soup and it's a weightwatchers thing.  It's really tasty!  Since I've been dieting I'm down to between a size 6 - 8.  Ten more lbs to go and I'll be back to my old size 4s.

I throw a can of cannellini beans in during the last hour, to add a little fiber.

10 oz baby spinach leaves
    2 medium carrots, chopped
    2 medium celery ribs. chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 medium garlic clove, minced (I use 2)
    4 cups vegetable broth
    28 oz can diced tomatoes
    2 bay leaf
    1 Tbsp dried basil
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker, cover and cook for 7-8 hours on low. Remove bay leaves, stir and serve.  Yields 8 one cup servings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

YEAH JBar - that's great news!!! keep up the great work!!!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

CHC that sounds delish!  I'm going to try that recipe.  We're having a family party in a couple of weeks and several of the family are vegetarian.  This will be great!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

Zeppy

it really is a yummy recipe... i made 5 individual servings and froze 4 of them... had one today...
    i usually add a little more cumin and cliantro. but with the 3 diff types of peppers, gives it a nice zing...

hope you enjoy!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from two-sheds. Show two-sheds's posts

Here's what I cooked for dinner yesterday.  I don't generally follow recipes so all the amounts are approximate.

Completely Inauthentic Indian Mango Chicken

ingredients:
    1 Jar  Sweet Mango Chutney
    1/2 cup water
    1 Tbls Curry Powder
    1/2 Tbls Cumin
    1/2 Tbls Coriander
    1 whole chicken - cut up (either quartered or pieces)
    4 Russet Potatoes

Mix Chutney, spices, and about half the water together – set aside.

Heat a large non-stick pan with a little oil.  (The pan needs to be big enough to cook all the chicken, preferable in a single layer.  You will also need a lid for it, but not yet).  Over high heat brown the chicken pieces.

Add the chutney spice mixture to the chicken.   Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer until the chicken is done.  Keep an eye on it though, and add more water if the sauce starts to dry up and burn.  (A little caramelization is good though).

While the chicken is going, peal and cut-up the potatoes into ~½” pieces.  Cook the potatoes in the microwave until just soft enough to be edible.  

When the chicken is done remove the chicken from the pan and coat the chicken with some of the sauce from the pan.  Turn up the heat on the pan (mid-high to high) and add the potatoes to the remaining sauce.  Cook until the potatoes are brown enough for you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

two-sheds, your dinner sounds great too.  We should turn this thread into a cookbook.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

lemon pasta

pasta- linguini or fettucini or even angle hair
    olive oil
    parm cheese
    lemon juice- approx 3 to 4 lemons or like 1/2 cup or so
    pepper and salt
    chopped fresh basil
    and lemon zest

cook pasta until almost done.

while pasta cooking
    combine olive oil, parm cheese and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well

drain the pasta, reserve aprrox 1/2 cup of the cooking water/liquid

add the lemon sauce to the pasta, toss. and add whatever liquid to pasta in order to keep moist.
    add salt and pepper
    before serving sprinkle with the basil and garnish with the lemon zest

again, light and delish

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

We need some hearty autumnal recipes as well.  One of my favorites:

Autumn Beef Stew

Serves 8

2 lbs beef stew meat
    1/2 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2" chunks -- or chunks of sugar pumpkin
    1 large onion, cut into eighths
    3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
    2 garlic cloves, pressed
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 cup flour, up to 1/3 cup
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed in palm
    1 tsp dried orange peel
    1/2 cup beef broth
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    6 oz fresh mushrooms, halved
    12 oz cooked egg noodles

Cut up squash, carrots, and onion and place in the bottom of the crockpot.  Sprinkle pressed garlic over top, and place bay leaves on either side of crockpot.

Combine flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and orange peel in a small bowl, and sprinkle over stewing beef in a large ziplock bag.  Seal bag and shake until beef is well covered.

Place beef on top of vegetables in crockpot, pour combined beef broth and red wine over top, and cover.

Cook on LOW for 6 hours, or until beef is tender and vegetables are soft.  Add halved mushrooms, turn heat to HIGH, and cook for another 15-20 minutes.  If gravy needs thickening, mix some more flour with water, beef broth, or wine, and add to pot with mushrooms.

Serve over hot buttered egg noodles.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

These recipes are awesome! I plan on learning to make really good soups once a week this Fall/Winter. I never heard of putting lemon in a chicken soup, and it sounds like it would really brighten up the flavor. I don't cook much, but I'm starting to get inspired. Great thread! Sorry, I can't contribute yet, but for sure I will be reading! bg

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

In Response to Re: Love Letters Recipes:
    [QUOTE]lwhitt - love your stew recipe!
    Posted by Corporate-Hippie-Chick[/QUOTE]

Thanks - the first time I made it, it was with the chunks of pumpkin - really gives it a nice flavor!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

thanks CHC

seeing that i make soup every weekend in the winter( i have soup every day for work), i have oodles of recipes...

i'll post another one shortly.... bit of work to do... i'll be back

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

CHC are you a devotee of the Moosewood Restaurant series?  If not, I think you'll love them.  They've produced a series of cookbooks based on their restaurant in upstate NY.  Fabuous stuff, and really creative.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

here's a great soup i got off of the internet a few years back...
    light and zesty

feta shrimp soup

olive oil
    1 medium onion
    2 cloves garlic
    5 roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    8 ounce bottle of clam juice
    1 cup white wine
    oregano
    salt
    pepper - and i use crush red peppers as well for little hots
    4 ounes of crumbled feta cheese
    1 pound shrimp, deveined and peeled
    fresh parsley

in pan, heat oil, cook onions and garlic of med heat. mix in tomatoes, clam juice and wine
    season with orgeano, salt and pepper(crushed red peppers optional)
    bring to a boil, then simmer for a bit
    trasnfer soup in batches to a blender and puree until smooth.
    return all to pot, simmer, and stir in feta cheese.
    cook additional 10 minutes or so

stir in shrimp, continue to cook until shrimp are done(opaueish) then right before serving add the fresh parsley.

nice and light