Making New Friends

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Re: Making New Friends

In Response to Re: Making New Friends:
    [QUOTE]Not annoyed with him in the least. I just thought it was a bit cheesy of her.
    Posted by MoVa[/QUOTE]

Well, she may have felt that it would have been pushy to friend you based on one, albeit lengthy, conversation.  With him there's more of a social connection - they're alumni of the same school.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

In Response to Making New Friends:
    [QUOTE]How does someone make new friends especially when you are older like I am.... So any ideas, suggestions or comments would honestly be very much welcomed. Thanks
    Posted by daveh7373[/QUOTE]

I met one of my closest friends through work, and I became close friends with his husband.  I met another friend through church.  And other friends through Love Letters.  For me, work and church seemed to work.  Oh, and I joined a professional association a few years ago and met some people that way.  In a sense, meeting new people is a numbers game, so the more exposure you get the better odds you have at meeting simpaticos.  Of course, you have to take a care to meet people in venues likely to attract people you'd want to befriend.

Other ideas:

Take a class
    Get involved in a political group - I guess that falls under volunteering
    Join a softball league
    Become active in your local alumni association/chapter, either high school or college
    Participate in neighborhood/community activities, e.g. neighborhood cookouts sponsored by your mayor (some towns do this sort of thing)

But, yes, do be aware that people attend meetups, volunteer activities, etc. to date, so try to make sure you're not giving out the wrong vibe, either that you're looking for a date or that you unwittingly string along a woman who is looking for a date.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Making New Friends : Well, she may have felt that it would have been pushy to friend you based on one, albeit lengthy, conversation.  With him there's more of a social connection - they're alumni of the same school.
    Posted by TwoCentDonation[/QUOTE]

2Cent, the way I read Mova's post, it was her reunion, not his.  So he was meeting the woman for the first time, and for Mova, the woman was an old classmate.

And Mova, is it possible she doesn't know that you and your SO are an item?  I would go ahead and friend her and send her a message like "hey my fiance (or BF, husband, whatever) told me you were on this social networking site!"  Jump in now before your old friend oversteps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

No Two Cent. I went to school with her. Himself just met her Friday night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

For those of you that met us in BOS, you know that because Himself and I have complementary businesses and because he hands out like a zillion business cards to the one that I occasionally remember to give, he is on one side of the card and I am on the other. It would be hard to miss that we are together. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

@DaveH: we've met some very interesting people through the alumni association events held by a school which my husband attended. Generally, I think activites are a good way of meeting people; but I think the ones that get you out of your comfort zone allow you to make friendships with more depth.

@Mova: If himself has already accepted the friend request, I think I'd send her a friend request ASAP. If she won't friend you, she's gotta go. He should then unfriend her also. This is coming from someone who is not either jealous or possessive and whose husband has many women friends. We met a woman in adult ed a few years back who thought my husband walked on water and who tried to engage him in private email exchanges, albeit about intellectual topics, and who ignored me completely. Not happening. My husband didn't even notice her tactics until I pointed them out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from justcat. Show justcat's posts

[QUOTE]So this is only marginally on topic, but here goes. Himself and I went to my 35th HS reunion this weekend. I saw and he met a very nice woman who we independantly had fairly long and somewhat personal conversations with. She is in the process of divorcing her husband of 31 years. She immediately friended Himself on FB on Sunday morning, but did not do so with me. I am not in the least bit threatened, but mildly annoyed. Is this justified?
    Posted by MoVa[/QUOTE]

You're completely justified in feeling annoyed.  It was intentional on her part.  Some people are just like that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

MoVa - She was your classmate, not his. Tell him to remove her from his friends list.
    She has some nerve!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

Mova

ok, i would be slightly po'd, but wouldnt chastise him as he hasnt done anything and its her that i would watch like a hawk.
    that said, meeting you both in BOS and also receiving your biz card, i know that that woman clearly knows that you 2 are together.
    with that, and knowing you two went to school together, and himself just met her over the weekend.i would be annoyed that she didnt friend you as well.
    she clearly knows you 2 are together but for whatever reason chose to only friend himself. that i find suspicious, but
    i would just watch any interaction(ie posts) from her to himself.
    not much more you can do. otherwise you would look like a jealous GF. and that we wouldnt want.
    but it all comes down to trust, and himself adores you so i wouldnt be too concerned.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

If the trust in your relationship is sound, then it's not an issue.  Probably "okay" to be annoyed at first, but don't let it get to you too much because it's inconsequential.  She's well-aware of his long-standing relationship with you, especially if you two had a long and somewhat personal conversation.

Don't make something out of nothing - give Himself a hug and a kiss and tell him you love him, and that's that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Who the hell is Daveh?

Okay, okay - I'll stop.

Seriously, though - just show up to something.  I promise it will at least be interesting.  And if you hate it, you can just leave.  :)  Chances are, though - you'll end up clicking with at least one or two people and get some buddies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

I would never tell Himself who he can or can't be friends with on FB or IRL, except that manipulative ex of his. That one, I finally had to put my foot down. In fact, it was during that time period that I first posted on LL.
    I just wanted a reality check to see if anyone else would have an issue with what she did. I did not think it passed the smell test.
    Thanks all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

I would never want to know what would fail a smell test.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

[QUOTE]So this is only marginally on topic, but here goes. Himself and I went to my 35th HS reunion this weekend. I saw and he met a very nice woman who we independantly had fairly long and somewhat personal conversations with. She is in the process of divorcing her husband of 31 years. She immediately friended Himself on FB on Sunday morning, but did not do so with me. I am not in the least bit threatened, but mildly annoyed. Is this justified?
    Posted by MoVa[/QUOTE]

For you to be annoyed?  Sure, It's probably justified. Beyond that, what does himself think about it?  Did they discuss some item/issue that he has some special knowledge of?  Does he even know why she friended him?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveh7373. Show daveh7373's posts

[QUOTE]Who the hell is Daveh? Okay, okay - I'll stop. Seriously, though - just show up to something.  I promise it will at least be interesting.  And if you hate it, you can just leave.  :)  Chances are, though - you'll end up clicking with at least one or two people and get some buddies.
    Posted by diamondgirl[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveh7373. Show daveh7373's posts

Re: making New Friends

Why do you persecute me so horribly????? What did I do to deserve this????? Will the who is daveh EVER STOP????? Oh the inhumanity of it all

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

(giggle)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

What Wrongy said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softpatina. Show softpatina's posts

MoVa, I get why your radar is picking up suspicious signals. I also would wonder why just himself was friended. It could be something as simple as a common topic of interest as someone else mentioned.
    The ball is in your court on this. You could throw it out and start up a game, meaning create drama where there is none yet, or just sit back and see if anything else happens.And what wrongest said. Keep us posted.Smile

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveh7373. Show daveh7373's posts

Hey enough of the posts to MOVA this is supposed to be all about me isnt it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

[QUOTE]Hey enough of the posts to MOVA this is supposed to be all about me isnt it?
    Posted by daveh7373[/QUOTE]

You could try friending her on Facebook.  It seems she's down one on her friend list....

25. This post has been removed.