Making New Friends

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softpatina. Show softpatina's posts

Re: Making New Friends

In Response to Re: Making New Friends:
    [QUOTE]Hey enough of the posts to MOVA this is supposed to be all about me isnt it?
    Posted by daveh7373[/QUOTE]

lol!

I got carried away.

I came into this thread because I'm having the same problem- I need to meet more people/make more friends. Not easy to do when older, single and working full time. I have work friends, but most are married so not available much after hours. Or younger and hang out with their own age group on weekends. I want to find more single women in my own age group and area to hang out with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

I am leaving this alone. Not friending her. I'm not even sure if Himself friended her. He just mentioned getting the request. I have not asked and don't care all that much. You guys are like a touch stone for me. Even if I don't intend to do anything specific about it, I like to gauge if my instincts are correct or not.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveh7373. Show daveh7373's posts

In Response to Re: Making New Friends:
    [QUOTE]I am leaving this alone. Not friending her. I'm not even sure if Himself friended her. He just mentioned getting the request. I have not asked and don't care all that much. You guys are like a touch stone for me. Even if I don't intend to do anything specific about it, I like to gauge if my instincts are correct or not.   
    Posted by MoVa[/QUOTE]
    You can friend me if you like

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

daveh friended. Himself doesn't know a thing about it :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jannicjay. Show jannicjay's posts

MoVa, what she did was a dick move.  however, I am sure Himself has no desire to be swayed in any direction!  don't you just love class reunions?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WickedMcCool. Show WickedMcCool's posts

I'm in the same boat as DaveH and SoftPatina, but you couldn't pay me enough $ to go to my HS class reunion.  That was not a happy time for me!!

DaveH, LL has you covered.  All the advice here is what you need to do.  Do the things you like to do and you'll meet someone.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkchoc. Show dkchoc's posts

I've recently run into this problem (not the Facebook one, but making friends).  I was unexpectedly divorced, and now I'm in a position where all my friends are married and have kids.  Which means that although I see them occasionally, I have to go to them, and they can only see me maybe once every few months in between all their family engagements. 

I also work in a place where the average age is 60.  There is nothing wrong with smart, interesting 60-year-olds, but those kind of 60-year-olds do not work at my company.  So work is not a good source for me.

Making new friends with people my age has also been difficult, as many of them are also married/have kids/have no time.  So what I'm doing now is going to a bunch of meetup events and being more open to having friends of all ages.  If I find someone interesting, no matter their age, I do my best to maintain or initiate further contact with them.

It doesn't help that I'm pretty shy, especially in groups.  But doing meetup is good because I can just join groups that I'm interested in, and then I have a common topic to use as a conversation starter if I see someone there who seems interesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kind-of-Irritating-Lady. Show Kind-of-Irritating-Lady's posts

I'd like to make this thread about me, and how awesome and debonair I am, which is sure to kill this thread in no time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

dkchoc, you don't mention your age, but remember, those 60 somethings may have very nice children who are your age. You are doing it right, IMHO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ray0110. Show ray0110's posts

I have the same issue with wanting to make friends. One of the problems I have is that I am socially awkward and totally aware of it.

I did go to an LL event recently and had a great time. But after I left I assume I said something wrong or did something stupid because I'm also a self loather, haaa.

I have considered Meetup and may look into it more seriously soon.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

well .... I really didn't want to be the one to say something, but....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

jkj!

What's up, man?  where you been?