question - regarding xmas gifts and new BF's kids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

question - regarding xmas gifts and new BF's kids

ok lovelies

i know i'll get all sorts of advice and that i why im here with a question, as you all have such wonderful personal perspectives on most any subject... which is why you kiddies are soooo totally awesome....

ok, so we all know about college guy... and that he has 4 children.
    we've been together now for what will be next month 8 mos..

do i get the children something for xmas or not? and if so, should it just be a little trinket of a xmas thought? i would never want to overstep my boundries of inappropriateness..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

Re: question - regarding xmas gifts and new BF's kids

I would. Especially because you do actually spend time with them. I am kind of in the same boat with my boss's kids. I have been doing a lot more personal stuff for them and actually interacting with them more so I think I am going to get each (4) a gc for iTunes. something small and thoughtful I think is enough. No need to go all out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

hey Jeeps, that's a great idea.....honestly, i love it... but where does one get a GC for Itunes?

i did find some really pretty pashimins(for real short money)(believe it or not Jeeps, in the Copley mall) that i was thinking of getting the 2 older girls...
    but GC could be the way to go

thanks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BannedAgainBoston. Show BannedAgainBoston's posts

Just do what my mother's various boyfriends did each year:

Slap a carton of Marlboros in their hand and say "Merry Christmas Johnny, smoke up!"...

...oh wait, that wasn't me, that was a scene from The Breakfast Club...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

ohhhhh Babs, I <3 you... tehehehe... always make me giggle

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeepersCripes. Show JeepersCripes's posts

you can get the iTunes anywhere really- target I think has some, BJ's/Costco, worse case Apple Store.

That is a great idea for the older girls.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BannedAgainBoston. Show BannedAgainBoston's posts

The iTunes GCs are literally EVERYWHERE.  You can probably even find them at the local convenience store.  At most places like Target etc, they usually have them at the checkout line with the "impulse" items.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

I bought an iTunes gift card at Target.

BBB - You could also ask CG what he thinks.  He knows his kids best, and he would know the unspoken family rules about stuff like that.  Also, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't want to trump their mom, so CG might be able to tell you what the limit should be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

you all ARE so awesome... i knew i would get the help i needed...

thanks kiddos. you are all the bestest!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

In Response to Re: question - regarding xmas gifts and new BF's kids:
    [QUOTE]I bought an iTunes gift card at Target. BBB - You could also ask CG what he thinks.  He knows his kids best, and he would know the unspoken family rules about stuff like that.  Also, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't want to trump their mom, so CG might be able to tell you what the limit should be.
    Posted by TwoCentDonation[/QUOTE]

I agree with the brie-hater.  I think it's worth bouncing off of him for the reasons she gave and to make sure he's 100% cool with it.  Based on what you've said, i can't see any reason why he wouldn't be, but it can't hurt to ask, and he'll probably think you're sweet for asking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

i already mentioned it to him and he thought it was a wonderful idea, but when i mentioned what i should think about giving, he was no help... thus why im here...i just dont want to be inappropriate in any way and make the already angry ex even angier....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

In Response to Re: question - regarding xmas gifts and new BF's kids:
    [QUOTE]but when i mentioned what i should think about giving, he was no help...
    Posted by backbaybabe[/QUOTE]

Well he is a guy; what would you expect?  Honestly, most of us are lucky to get ourselves dressed and fed every day.  Outside of our professional lives, most of us are pretty useless when it comes to day to day things like "suggestions!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Just be careful there is only a small window of correctness,  Too expensive = creepy, too cheap = well too cheap.  also don't worry about his ex  you are never going to be OK in her eyes no matter what you do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

For children under ten or twelve I like to give books. Usually the staff at the Barnes and Noble can help me pick something out if I'm not sure what I want. I've had very good responses from giving books by Jan Brett and Robert McCloskey (Make Way for the Ducklings, etc.) for really little kids. Sometimes older kids like classic children's literature: Alcott and so on.

For children over ten or twelve gift cards have been a big hit. Even a small amount can be used to get a book or a DVD from a store or online. I've given cards from Barnes and Noble, but I think I might switch to ITunes, as suggested above. For a while I gave the teenagers TracPhone cards, but now they have regular cell phones so they don't need the minutes.

A flattering pashmina or other scarf would be great for a young woman 18 or older; I avoid giving teenagers clothing unless I know them very well. I've given socks or really cute tights, also.

Teenagers often like sports related stuff, too: a package of tennis balls or golf balls or whatever.

A word to the wise re gift cards. Put them in an envelope with a card big enough so that they don't lose the gift in the mess of wrappings...and keep the receipt. Teenagers can get quite disorganized at times :-)

Hope this helps!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Body Shop lotion and fun tasty lip gloss (you can make your own gift set and they will set it up for you)  (for the older girls)

Long, fun scarf from the Gap, Aeropostle, etc. 

Inexpensive sports bag (Olympia Sports, etc. are very reasonably priced) and throw some sports socks inside  (if they are into sports, any age, any kid)

Boston team tee shirts (Patriots or Sox are safe bets, although my niece plays basketball and she went NUTS when I gave her a small "34" Celtics shirt and she was only 10 at the time)

DVD they can all share and watch together of a holiday movie or one of a fun animated movie

A puppy or a kitten  --- Smile  (wish you really could do this, but I know you can't ... maybe some day!) 

They will love what ever you give them.  I have not had much disposable income in the past few years, and I have been told my gifts have made the biggest hits -- sometimes a thoughtful gift really goes a long way.

I know you will have fun shopping for all of CG's kids!!  You are such a nice person. 
      Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Never saw a teen with a pashmina.  You kind of need some grown up chops to pull it off.

Gift cards are something that a kid would like since they can "spend them" like money.  Normally, I think they're too impersonal, but I think they're great for your situation.

Go to CVS or Star Market....they have GCs for every store in the world.  Check them carefully, some have $$$$ activation fees. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

thank you sooo much, and thank YOU YF... how sweet of you to say...

i now have many great ideas, and i know i'll have fun shopping this weekend...
    yeah!!!

again, you're all soo sweet with the suggestions. i love it

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Maybe you could ask CG what dollar limit you should have?  He obviously isn't in tune with what items to buy, but he might be in tune with how much to spend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

BBB I can't believe that you two have been together almost 8 months!!  crazy how time flies...

I love all the suggestions everyone is giving here. 

BTW... you and I still need to get together for cocktails, and SOON.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

BJ's sells iTunes gift cards at a discount from face value, so they are a good deal.

If you don't know what books they have, Barnes and Noble gift cards are great -- they can still get non-books from B&N, but their mom will probably appreciate the option for them to get something more educational.

Other than that, it depends on their ages and interests -- also genders.  I have one of each, and they are 7 years apart, so if you want ideas that are more specific, I could probably help.

I'm thinking at this point in your relationship with CG, gift cards might be better.  You never know if their mom might feel a bit on edge if you, i dunno, got them a better gift than she did or whatever.  You want to be nice and yet avoid stepping on toes at the same time, I'm thinking.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

Ummm...hmmm...well

**blank stare**

Seriously though, definitely the gift card idea.  Can't believe it's been 8 months for you guys, that's awesome!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

jd - tehehehe...
    thanks.... hope you and new girlie are going well.. and the new pad? lovin it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redwolf68. Show redwolf68's posts

Yeah, BBB, I'd go with gift cards.  My wife and I were considering that for everyone this year, but had a different idea, which we'll be pursuing next weekend (we *never* Xmas-shop on Black Friday or Cyber Monday).  If they like books or music, you can always go with Borders or Barnes & Noble; you can find funny gifts (some appropriate, some not) at Newbury Comics.  It really depends on what the kids like; if you know their interests at all, you can go from there.

And I agree with everyone else, congrats on 8 months with College Guy!  AJ, if you're down with it, I'd like to join the two of you for drinks one of these days...?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

ok, red aj and i are having cocktails!!!!!!!!!!!! woohoo!!!! im a happy camper for sure