question - regarding xmas gifts and new BF's kids

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

Re: question - regarding xmas gifts and new BF's kids

I like the bookstore GC idea myself.  Make sure you're not seen as competing with their Mom for "coolest gift" or that you don't come across giving the girls' something age-inappropriate.    The other thing i liked when I was a teenager was National Geographic. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

bbb: girlie and I are doing great! thanks  Spent thanksgiving just the two of us, it was really sweet, inspite of us missing our kids.  I'm loving my new place too.  All settled in now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

YIppee for JD!!!!! lets all twirl for JD!!!! yeah!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hsmbs. Show hsmbs's posts

BBB - I'm confused!  When you were calling your bf College Guy, I really thought he was a younger grad student you were dating!!  So how could he possibly have 4 kids?

I'd give them a $20 25 gift card each to stores you know they might like - Sports Authority, or Abercrombie, or Barnes and Noble, etc.  The amount is reasonable, not too showy and letting them actually pick out something for themselves doesn't step on getting to personal with them (or upsetting the mother!).

Let us know what u get!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

hsmbs

hehehehe... i refer to my BF as college guy, as i knew him back in college... we were just friends back then and never dated...he married his college sweetheart, who turned out to be a she-devil...actually she was even back in college...
    he found me on facebook back in february and its been heaven ever since...
    hehehehe

i'll definitely let you all know what i end up doing.... im shopping this weekend for them...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnny1963. Show johnny1963's posts

ok folks here is my take on gift giving:

give all the time... 

in the course of a year and you are having conversations with the giftee ot a dinner or any opportunity to do something NICE there and then out of the ordinary that they will 10000000 percent appreciate, pay for IT

and say Happy Holidays

done, no holiday shopping for me!!! and I know they got what they wanted

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from justcat. Show justcat's posts

One final thought - if you buy them something (at most ages, the Gap, I hate to say, is always a big hit), get a gift receipt, and that way, they can take it back and don't have to bother you!  Take it from one with 45 nieces and nephews...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeLessonsLearned. Show LifeLessonsLearned's posts

Check with college guy to make sure they have iPods - if so, I think you can't go wrong with iTunes gift cards. What kid/teen doesn't like tunes? Think back to your own younger days getting individual songs you loved (of course, if you're of the same age as me, those songs came on 45s, hee, hee.)

How old are the girls - and are they girly-girls? If so, a gift card to Bath & Body works would be great for younger teens. For an older teen girly-girl, how about a Sephora gift certificate?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Two thoughts -- instead of Barnes and Noble or Borders, get them a GC to a local bookstore like Brookline Booksmith or Newtonville if there's a good one where they live.  (Support your local bookstore....JMO!)

I agree with above poster -- Newbury Comics is an awesome place to get fun gifts for those hard-to-buy for people on the list. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Speaking of BJ's (stop snickering), who belongs?  Is it worth it?  Good deals? 

I don't think Costco is any bargain, generally, are BJ's prices better? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

In Response to Re: question - regarding xmas gifts and new BF's kids:
    [QUOTE]...Newbury Comics is an awesome place to get fun gifts for those hard-to-buy for people on the list. 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

And it's a local chain!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

im going to stop by NEwbury comics this weekend and check it out...

Cosmo - i go to BJ's. prefer it over costco as its always cleaner and never as crowded as costco...
    i believe with either of those places, you need to know how to buy and what to buy... NOT everything in there will be a bargain, but many things are...
    if you know how much something costs in a regular Shaw/stop and shop/demoulas, etc etc, do a comparison to Bj's. of course they're sold in bulk, but if you do the math on some stuff, you can have considerable savings...

but these places are not for everyone.. and i do NOT do all my shopping there...

for example though, for College guy, he loves gatorade, the small bottles.
    in stop and shop, for 6 little bottles its like 4.89 or something like that...
    but at BJ's for 24 bottles its 9.89. hmmmmm that's a decent savings.
    so, you need to know what you're buying.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

CosmoGirl:

I belong to BJs.  I think it's worth your while to do one of those 1 month free trials to see if you'd come out ahead with it.

I was very hesitant to join at first, because I figured you get swayed by a great price here or there, but you have to take into account the membership fee -- to figure out if, over the course of a year, you would save money.

Probably the best part about BJs are the coupons.  With time you get savvy about working those coupon deals (which you can couple w. mfctr coupons).  To give you an example.  A 4-pack of iTunes gcards is always sold at about $3-4 off the face value.  BUT this week, they are offering a $5 coupon.  I don't need iTunes credit right now, but I'm probably going to buy a pack (I buy them for my own family usually) anyway, because that's like free money -- and I'm sure we'll use them eventually.

If you become a member, it does pay to reevaluate every year.  For example, we started our mbrship when my wee one was in diapers, which was the main reason the membership was worth it for us.  So we didn't need them anymore, we relooked at everything else we were buying to make sure the savings would offset the cost.

I'm sorry I'm babbling on -- I have the flu -- this is my 5th or 6th day -- and with zero sleep last night, I am very punchy!   So I hope this was helpful!  (BBB, I wouldn't have replied, but since you, as the owner of this thread commented, I thought you'd be okay with my off-off-off-topic rambling.)  Smile

Sections
Shortcuts