silly question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

silly question

good morning LL forumers

just a silly questtion. seeing that the LL blog is comprised of a varying degree in ages, i was just wondering how many people still have landlines/home phones?

I'm of the belief that i will never give up my home phone(as i grew up with one and see a need) whereas, many people younger than myself, dont see the need and dont have one...

just wondering how many do versus how many dont.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from naturalginger. Show naturalginger's posts

Re: silly question

I haven't had a landline since I moved out of my parent's house in 2003. Sometimes I do miss it though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

BBB - yes, I still have my landline phone. Still the same phone number and phone service I've had for 29 years. I see no reason to change it. It's been extremely reliable. During Hurricane Gloria in '85 I lost electricity for 9 days, never lost phone service, even with the wires literally lying on the ground the phone still worked. During the recent Hurricane Irene I was without power for a week, still had my working landline. No reason to get rid of it, only costs me < $29 a month

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Not a silly question at all, bbb.

I still have a landline, I love it. But I wish I could have taken my old phone number with me when I moved.

As Will said, there's a reliability to a landline. Also, in my case, our doorbells don't ring independently - they are tied into our landlines. We all have to have one. Weird about that doorbell thing.

I feel both landlines and cell phones serve good purposes. I'll have a landline until it becomes obsolete.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ygren. Show ygren's posts

I have a landline. When I got it, cell phones were bigger and heavier than a brick. It is convenient. And it is shared. It is also - oh eternal bliss! - not in my name.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

as much as i like having the cellphone for convenience and all... i hate talking on it, so when my gf in DC calls to talk to me for 2 hrs every saturday, its much easier to chat on my landline..
    also, im not a lose my wallet/cellphone type of gal(like most of my gf's, hehehe) but its re-assuring to know that IF you lost your cell phone, you can still be gotten a hold of... unlike one of my friend's. whenever she loses her cell(this is honest to god her 5th time) we cant reach her until she gets a new one as she's one of those that doesnt have a landline...

i guess there's pros and cons to both sides... but i still do love a landline...
    esp that princess phone... hehehe

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The key with a landline is to make sure you have one phone (even if you just store it till needed) that does not use a power outlet at all.   Eight years ago when there was that black out that hit the whole midatlantic, cell phones towers were all out but we also could not reach many of our friends who only had either cordless phones or phones with answering machines attached, because the phones were plugged into regular outlets.  (Yeah, I know you'd think that the phone part would work without the answerer, but they don't.) 

After that, we always made sure we keep one phone that is just a phone.  We don't use it, but we're glad we have it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

ohhhh EES, very interesting.... didnt know that... what a wonderfully awesome reason to go out and get that pink princess phone now...hehehe

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

That is JUST the phone I picture you with, bbbabe!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

giggle giggle, you got that right

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Butterflyz. Show Butterflyz's posts

I don't have a landline, but I think once I was living in a more permanent place, not just short term apartments, I'd consider getting one as a back-up. But by and large, as long as the service was good in my home, I would rely on the cell 99% of the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72. Show a3888b5accef493a59715074b2eb8c72's posts

As soon as I figured out how to order pizza on the computer, the landline was history.

This was mostly due to the fact that my cell was then company-paid, but I have no motivation to go out and get landline service ever again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

We don't have a landline.  We couldn't afford two phone bills.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

thanks kiddies, i find this very interesting as to why some have and some dont.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatJneenGrrl. Show ThatJneenGrrl's posts

I have a landline, but I'm getting ready to ditch it.

Made the mistake of switching over to Comcast as part of the package...guess what?  when the cable goes out, the phone goes out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffmc4. Show geoffmc4's posts

I still have a landline. I can't imagine not having one either. Not that it ever rings really.......although I don't make a lot of phone calls on the cell either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

I technically have a landline, since it is included in my Comcast bundle, but I don't have a phone hooked up to it.  Maybe I should get one "just in case".  

Where does one get a princess phone these days anyway?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archangel Michael. Show Archangel Michael's posts

My "land" line for the last 5 years I had one was Vonage.  I hadn't had an actual phone company land line in probably 10 years, then I did away with Vonage, too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from McBostonrob. Show McBostonrob's posts

I have a landline, but I have it dumbed down to the cheapest possible plan - I think I pay about $12 bucks a month, but if I make any outgoing calls it kinda works like a payphone. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoVa. Show MoVa's posts

Yes, I still have a landline.  Having been through two hurricanes with no power for a total of several weeks and the phone still working, I was able to at least keep my business open, marginall, without a computer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from backbaybabe. Show backbaybabe's posts

Hey Schlippy, is vonage any good?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

In Response to Re: silly question:
    I have a landline, but I'm getting ready to ditch it. Made the mistake of switching over to Comcast as part of the package...guess what?  when the cable goes out, the phone goes out.
    Posted by ThatJneenGrrl

That's why I'll never switch over to Comcast. Plus it would actually cost me more as part of their bundle.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillDeerborn-of-Gilead. Show WillDeerborn-of-Gilead's posts

In Response to Re: silly question:
    Yes, I still have a landline.  Having been through two hurricanes with no power for a total of several weeks and the phone still working, I was able to at least keep my business open, marginall, without a computer.
    Posted by MoVa

Your computer doesn't work over the phone line?  Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmySmith. Show LittleTimmySmith's posts

I have an old rotary phone. It takes twenty minutes to call anyone. Zip.....whiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr zip.....whiiirrrrrrrrrrrrr zip.....whiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr zip.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Mom gave us the old rotary phones to play with when she replaced them in the early 80s with giant cordless phones.  We started using them as blunt instruments.

Sections
Shortcuts