So I need some help

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

Re: So I need some help

In Response to Re: So I need some help:
    Guy friends of mine who are big gym rats say they like to buy big packages of chicken breasts, and separate and freeze one per bag.  That way, they can just take out one of them and steam it with rice for dinner.

Now, I think steamed chicken and rice sound really dull, BUT.... separating out portions of healthy chicken for yourself beforehand really help.
    Posted by diamondgirl

DG, I haven't read through the entire thread, but these two paragraphs jumped out at me in your reply to Dread.

I love to cook.  LOVE to cook.  As is evident by my NON-hourglass figure.  :-)  (P.S.  That also means I love to eat!)  I know I'm an anomaly in today's age, where most people buy lunches and/or dinners to-go or go through drive-throughs or eat out all the time.  But this is my creative side.  My sister is in fashion, my brother in film, and I cook.  :-)

I love experimenting with different flavors.  And here's where a place like Penzey's Spices in Arlington comes into play.  Steamed chicken and rice - plain - IS dull.  But throw in some Aleppo pepper, or an herb blend, and you've got something that tastes good.  I cannot stress enough - USE SPICES AND HERBS FOR FLAVOR!  :-)  Penzey's has small 1 oz. containers of their herbs and spices, so you don't have to spend a lot if you end up not liking what you bought.  The store has "sniff jars" so you can check out their blends and see if it works for you.  Christina's Spices in Cambridge also has bulk spices, sometimes more exotic than Penzey's.

I buy chicken in bulk and freeze it individually in foil.  Same with pork tenderloin - BOGOF when they're on sale that way.  Cut them in half and freeze them.  When I know I need to cook something for dinner (or for work lunches), I take one or two out and defrost partially on the counter and finish defrosting in the fridge.  Season it with salt, pepper, and whatever herb blend or marinade you've created, and it's easily pan-sauteed or baked for a lower calorie dish.

Instead of rice, try barley or quinoa.   Barley, IMO, is MUCH more filling than rice so you'd eat less of it.

OK, off to read the rest of the thread...my exciting Friday night.  :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

First things first - I do not eat green - I have never eaten green and I never will eat green. And guess what - I am still at my fighting weight from when I was 21 y.o.

Do not eat three meals a day - better to eat 4 or 5.  Breakfast at 7, granola bar at 11, gym at 12 (40 minutes), slice of pizza at 1, dinner at 5 & and health bar at 8. Never over eat at one sitting.

As for your preferred body - hire a personal trainer for a two week period, tell them what your goals are and let them set up a regime for you.

The biggest thing - keep stress to a minimum and fun to a maximum.

And finally - go for a physical every 6 months.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Oh, verrry important. I forgot to tell you how to nuke a potato!

First, poke several holes in the skin with a fork. This keeps the potato from exploding...exploding is not good unless you want something to explode. Then rub with olive oil or butter, if you wish, and place on a paper towel in the micro.  For a smaller baking potato (about the size of Buttercup's dainty hand) micro on high for about four minutes, check for softness by squeezing (you know how to do that, right?) and then turn over and micro on high another four minutes. These suckers are hot and full of steam, so be careful taking them out. For a larger potato (the size of your manly fist) micro about 5 minutes and then turn and micro another 5 minutes, on high.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

jessey!  No greens either!  AND you're Italian.  Amazing.

I like your added advice.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Dear Dread,

I wasn't around yesterday, but I will give you a little advice that will be a bit different from everyone else. 

I am a health nut.  Not perfect by any means!  I have my vices, that's for sure.  But I have always been interested in a healthy lifestyle, and have lived my life in that way.

So all I can say is, you are right, it's not a diet you're talking about, and it's not just the food you put in your body, it's your lifestyle. 

So I have three words for you:  BODY  -   MIND   -  SPIRIT.  

You cannot succeed at one without considering the other, what you put in your body and how you care for it is all part of the integration of your mind, heart and soul.  Not to be too "new age" for ya, but that is how I live and that is what I believe, and it is true.

Liberal use of: Your freezer and zip lock bags helps as others have said.

Veggies:
    buy the mini carrots that have already been peeling and cut.
    dip in hummus (a staple for me); dip in salsa.  or eat plain.  ready set go.

green pepper:  buy, cut, take out seeds, slice, put in zip lock bag.  done (3 minutes tops)
    dip in above or eat plain.

celery:  buy, take the head and rinse it, pull apart, slice, put in bag.  done (5 minutes tops)
    dip as in above or eat plain.

greens : buy pre-rinsed, pre-bagged.  I have not bought a head of lettuce for years, unless it is for a huge salad.  

Buy some decent olive oil!!   I'd rather put olive oil on greens than salad dressing, but to get you started, use dressing, that's fine.  Try to keep with Italian rather than the heavy type.

Green beans:  steam in sauce pan.  Takes less than 5 minutes. 

OR buy frozen.  They are VERY decent and in the winter, a great thing to have on hand.  Frozen spinach is fantastic, in my book.  

Low fat cream cheese.
    Peanut butter.
    Within limits, fine for the veggies, too.

I honestly think you should see a nutritionist.   You will get a form to fill out, with all of your information on it, including what you are eating,  and it will ask you your overal goals for nutrition.
    The nutritionist will assess you from the form ahead of time, so when you go in,  you can have a meaningful discussion about your food intake, exercise, and everything else.
    It is worth the time!!!   I did it (free) at my job, and while I am pretty much on target, the feedback I did get I followed, and it was that I was not eating enough before I worked out.  I now eat some trail mix or whole wheat crackers a while before I work out so I don't have those hours and hours before I eat again.

Carbs --- for another message!  This is long enough. 
    Simple carbs: your body breaks them easily, but that is why you are left hungry again, and ... they are often reduced to starch /sugar.
    Complex carbs:  your body breaks them down slowly, and needs to "work" to process them.  That is why they last and make you full and you don't get hungry again. 
    For me?  The more grainy, nubby, raw, natural the grain, the more I like it.  I can eat oatmeal raw and love it!   

I have to run, but will write one more thing in another message. 

Would love to encourage you on your blog.   Haven't even touched on exercise yet ... and am a FITNESS NUT. 

I am just one of those crazy people who loves to do what is good for her.
    Smile
    hope this makes sense b/c I don't have time to re-read.  I am going out in a few minutes!!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

First things first - I do not eat green - I have never eaten green and I never will eat green. And guess what - I am still at my fighting weight from when I was 21 y.o. Do not eat three meals a day - better to eat 4 or 5.  Breakfast at 7, granola bar at 11, gym at 12 (40 minutes), slice of pizza at 1, dinner at 5 & and health bar at 8. Never over eat at one sitting. As for your preferred body - hire a personal trainer for a two week period, tell them what your goals are and let them set up a regime for you. The biggest thing - keep stress to a minimum and fun to a maximum. And finally - go for a physical every 6 months.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Never say never.  Maybe you've never had the right person put greens on the table for you (unless you have allergies!)  The rest doesn't surprise me.  I am sure you keep fit.  Men that flirt are usually in shape. 

My Dad used to go to his fitness club and talk to all the pretty women.  He would come home and tell us that he was able to flirt b/c he was an "old guy" and the women were not intimidated by him.  He said all the young guys would walk up to the hot chicks, and the chicks would brush them off b/c they felt they did not want to deal with the pick up lines!   So cute. 

My Dad was talking to a very pretty woman one day at his club.  Turns out she and I were co-workers!  She told him where she worked, so my Dad said, oh, do you know my daughter, her name is yogafriend?!!  My Dad could not stop remarking on how charming and pretty this woman was and wanted to know if all my co-workers were so attractive!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

ORGANIC:

For anyone interested in what to buy organic:
    Buy These Foods Organic:these are the "dirty dozen" and are generally not "clean" and are foods that may be contaminated -- therefore, these are high priority for going organic:

1. Apples
    2. Cherries
    3. Grapes
    4. Nectarines
    5. Peaches
    6. Pears
    7. Raspberries
    8. Strawberries
    9. Bell Peppers
    10. Celery
    11. Potatoes
    12. Spinach
    These foods are safe to buy non-organic:they are considered "clean" and/or have skin that you do not eat anyhow, and are therefore not contaminated; they are very low priority to go organic:
    1. Bananas
    2. Kiwi
    3. Mangoes
    4. Papaya
    5. Pineapple
    6. Asparagus
    7. Avocado
    8. Broccoli
    9. Cauliflower
    10. Corn
    11. Onions
    12. Peas

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlyssaJones. Show AlyssaJones's posts

I love this thread.

I need to get back on the exercise/watching my diet wagon, too.  My weaknesses are eating out and alcohol.  Its fun being a social butterfly, but not so fun for my waistline :(  

I have a problem with veggies that go bad, too.  Its tough cooking for one.  I am also a "flexitarian" meaning that I eat as little meat as possible, but lots of fish and seafood.

What I do is I get the Steamfresh veggies that are frozen and you steam them in the microwave.  Whatever i don't eat that day, I put it in a container for the next say, and have that for lunch.  Usually for my work lunches I'll bring a couple hard-boiled eggs, steamed veggies, a vegetarian fake-chicken patty or gardenburger, and a rice cake with peanut butter, or an apple.  Apples last forever.  And I second yogafriend's suggestion of baby carrots with hummus.... a great snack!  Another one is edamame in the pods... they come frozen, and are a great snack with a little sea salt.  

I need to get back into yoga and pilates also.  I have the Windsor pilates set, which really kicks your butt.  I love it.  

One last thing... acupuncture can be really helpful for lowering blood pressure, and it keeps stress low so you don't store so much fat from the cortisol.  Just a thought.  Laughing

Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

Wow, so much great advise in this thread!  I'm inspired now.

Being a single dad with 3 kids 50 percent of the time has made my diet a low priority, but reading what yogafriend wrote has really got me thinking.  body-mind-spirit 

**ponders**

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wow, so much great advise in this thread!  I'm inspired now. Being a single dad with 3 kids 50 percent of the time has made my diet a low priority, but reading what yogafriend wrote has really got me thinking.  body-mind-spirit  **ponders**
    Posted by jdrotten

Hi JD!

I'm not perfect, and I also don't mean to "preach" (but please forgive me if I do preach! ) but it I do speak my truth, and this is part of it. 

You are a great example of someone who has had so much to contend with, and you have tackled one thing at a time, in the order of importance and in terms of what was "time critical" to get you through your emotional rollercoaster, and that included lots of logistical changes as well.  And you have done such a great job of making it all work out successfully!

Now that things are calming down, and you are settled into your new lifestyle, you can make a little more time for yourself.   Not lots of time, perhaps, but a little more than you have been. 

JD, this sounds very trite, and I know it, but it's a JOURNEY and a PROCESS, not an event.   You acquire knowledge along the way, and integrate it, little by little. 

It's very hard with kids, as they make your journey less centered on yourself, but it sounds like you and your kids are wild about each other, so as long as you are having a good time, you may be able to sneak some learning into your time together!

Your thoughts, your heart and soul, and your kind and gentle spirit are evident (at least to me) in the way you communicate in your posts, and I have every faith in you.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

LWhitt - I am a heavy spice user, fear not.  The gym rats eat plain steamed rice, raw carrots, and plain chicken.  The spices apparently mess up their weird nutrient timing.  I just liked their 'freeze portions beforehand' idea.

My mother used to make her own dressing before she made a salad.

3 tbsp oil
    1 tbsp cider vinegar
    salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder

It is very light and delicious, and does not have all the guar gum or whatever that they put in the store bought stuff.  I didn't have store bought salad dressing until I met my husband.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

DG, I have to laugh at the gym rats comment.  Sans the chicken, you just described one of my favorite meals ...!!   Plain rice (jasmine is delicious, or if brown, very hard and nubby) , no salt, no herbs, plain veggies ...   Laughing

LWhitt, I used to live within walking distance of Penzey's Spices (before it was there, though ... it was a Boston Market, so I never set foot in it!)   -- it's a fun place.   It's a great place to pick up holiday gifts, too.    Sounds like you are such a fantastic cook! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LWhitt58. Show LWhitt58's posts

yf, I'd be in MAJOR danger if I lived within walking distance of Penzey's or Christina's Spices.  :-)  As for holiday gifts, it's only good for other people who like to cook....my family leaves that to me (so they know to get ME gift cards from there!  LOL)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

Just checking back on this after a weekend of being sick (I'm out today too):

"exploding is not good unless you want something to explode" Is now one of my favorite quotes.

AJ, having someone sick a bunch of needles in me doesn't sound like a way that I would de-stress.

There's some great advice on here and its pretty good timing too.  If I, or anyone else that would want to join in, get this stuff under control now then I won't have that classic New England winter weight gain that always happens!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

Hi Dread!  Sorry you're feeling lousy.  I'm going to the gym in about an hour and I'll do an extra long workout in your honor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

Hi Dread!  Sorry you're feeling lousy.  I'm going to the gym in about an hour and I'll do an extra long workout in your honor.
    Posted by TheRealJBar

I'm jealous.  I've seriously only had a banana and half a cup of chicken noodle soup since midday Saturday.  Plenty of gatorade and water though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

Hey, eat whatever makes you happy.  But when you start dumping SOs because they want to eat out, and you ate your four raw carrots and 1/2 chicken breast at 4p, and aren't due for your non-fat yogurt and 1/4 cup white rice until 7p, so you sit at the restaurant with her with no food in front of you and make fun of their weight while they eat ....

I am serious.  These guys are warped.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from diamondgirl. Show diamondgirl's posts

"exploding is not good unless you want something to explode"

haha.  I got a text from someone once that said 'I just made a piece of equipment explode.  A piece that wasn't *supposed* to explode.  Oops.'

I don't feel like making any positive changes today.  I did wear tights, though.  I guess that is positive because it keeps my legs warm.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

and every time I pee I do 25 pushups, 25 squats, and a plank for 30 seconds.
    Posted by Dread27

Doesn't that affect your aim? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

yogafriend:  wow, thanks, that's very sweet of you to say those things about me.  That really made my day!  :-D

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItalianIce84. Show ItalianIce84's posts

Well now I'm feeling motivated :) And also incredibly guilty about all the crappy foods I have ingested since Friday while I was hme for the weekend, and the leftovers I had today...

Now the question is--- do I do a Jillian Michael's workout before jumping on my bike, do I try to get back into doing a yoga workout, or do I do something entirely different to get my strength training in?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: So I need some help : I'm jealous.  I've seriously only had a banana and half a cup of chicken noodle soup since midday Saturday.  Plenty of gatorade and water though.
    Posted by Dread27

Keep this up and you are going to get sick (although I hope you don't). It wouldn't hurt to throw in some spinach juice and some split pea soup.

Also, you should free to eat as much fruit as you want.

Tuna has like, 1 gr of fat per serving (2 oz, or 4 oz for a small can).

I'm concerned you might be heading toward water intoxication, or a weakening of you heart.

Are you taking a daily multi-vitamin?

The ladies over in Confidential Chat do a 2-3 week cleansing from time to time. But it's vitamin-enriched. Ask kargiver or pingo about it.

Those boring little mushrooms - Agaricus bisporus - who knew they were Vitamin D-filled? (I didn't.) 15 calories/cup.

Don't make toning a priority over your good health.

Sections
Shortcuts