So I need some help

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

Re: So I need some help

Icy, Jillian Michael's is a meanie!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

Yeah, it s'cks when you're sick. I had a cold for a week (why you all got to spend sooooo much time with lovely me the week before last) The general rule amongst those of us who practice medicine without a license is that three days of not being able to keep things down, or have the runs, is the limit of what you endure on your own, after that you are at risk of dehydration and call the doc.

My last boss was a West Point mechanical engineer, 82nd Airborne, very knowledgeable about weapons. For reasons I won't go into we had numerous occasions to discuss the conditions under which explosions occur. Baked potatoes should not be one of them. Ha.

Count me in on the holiday food-awareness...or Team Dreadie...or whatever we're going to call this.

JDRotten (great name) if you're reading this. My favorite little boy (not hubby, he's my favorite big boy) and I have been making this together since he was under two y/o.

Mystic River plain cheese froz pizza
    Decorate with chopped ham and pineapple rings (group activity)
    Sprinkle top generously with shredded part-skim mozzarella from the dairy case
    Bake for 10-12 minutes according to the directions on the box.

We've added also chopped spinach at times, sometimes mushrooms, sometimes sliced black olives. For some reason pineapple rings have great charm for children.

Part healthy dinner, part art project. What more could you want?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from two-sheds. Show two-sheds's posts

In Response to Re: So I need some help:
    LWhitt, I used to live within walking distance of Penzey's Spices (before it was there, though ... it was a Boston Market, so I never set foot in it!)   -- it's a fun place.   It's a great place to pick up holiday gifts, too.    Sounds like you are such a fantastic cook! 
    Posted by yogafriend

yogafriend,
    we may have been neighbors at one point.  I used to live in that area, too.

Dread, I hope you feel better, soon. 

I'm probably not the right person to ask about loosing weight.  I've spent the first 30 years of my life trying to put on weight.   Although, now that I'm the other side of 40, the tide has turned. 

A nutritional professor recently went on a junk food diet (twinkes, etc.), but he limited his calories to 2500 a day, and he made sure he got enough nutrition by drinking protein shakes and eating vegtables.  Not too suprising he lost wieght - to a large degree a calorie is a calorie.  What suprised him was that his blood work indicated an improvement in cholesterol and the like.  I wouldn't advocate his diet, but I think what really matters is that you get enough nutrition, and limit your calories.  How you go about achieving that is up to you. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

RDG, thanks for the concern but I was sick.  I'm doing a lot better today.

Oh JohnC, always trying to pass your kids off onto unsuspecting internet types.  But I'm onto you.  If I were I betting man I'd say that you were just trying to get free babysitting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I'm terribly sorry, Dread. My mistake. I thought it was part of your new regime.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdrotten. Show jdrotten's posts

JDRotten (great name) if you're reading this. My favorite little boy (not hubby, he's my favorite big boy) and I have been making this together since he was under two y/o. Mystic River plain cheese froz pizza Decorate with chopped ham and pineapple rings (group activity) Sprinkle top generously with shredded part-skim mozzarella from the dairy case Bake for 10-12 minutes according to the directions on the box. We've added also chopped spinach at times, sometimes mushrooms, sometimes sliced black olives. For some reason pineapple rings have great charm for children. Part healthy dinner, part art project. What more could you want?
    Posted by Green-Mountain-Views

Thanks GMV!  My kids LOVE Mystic pizza.  That's a great idea to add some healthy toppings and make it more fun for the kids.  Take care.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dread27. Show Dread27's posts

I'm terribly sorry, Dread. My mistake. I thought it was part of your new regime. I'm glad you're feeling better.
    Posted by reindeergirl

No worries RDG.  The only eating disorder I'll ever have is that I eat too much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: So I need some help : yogafriend, we may have been neighbors at one point.  I used to live in that area, too. Dread, I hope you feel better, soon.  I'm probably not the right person to ask about loosing weight.  I've spent the first 30 years of my life trying to put on weight.   Although, now that I'm the other side of 40, the tide has turned.  A nutritional professor recently went on a junk food diet (twinkes, etc.), but he limited his calories to 2500 a day, and he made sure he got enough nutrition by drinking protein shakes and eating vegtables.  Not too suprising he lost wieght - to a large degree a calorie is a calorie.  What suprised him was that his blood work indicated an improvement in cholesterol and the like.  I wouldn't advocate his diet, but I think what really matters is that you get enough nutrition, and limit your calories.  How you go about achieving that is up to you. 
    Posted by two-sheds

Two-Sheds,
    It's a small world, definitely.  I would not be surprised if some of us have "met" in one way or another without even knowing it!  I enjoyed Arlington Heights and am still there quite often for one reason or another!

Insofar as the diet you mention, that sounds like a similar premise to Weight Watchers, perhaps.

Anyone been on WW?  They go by a "point" system, and you strive to keep to a certain number of points per/day, as part of your plan.

I had a co-worker who lost 50 lbs. on WW and she ate a sub for lunch almost every day!   Then she ate really light for dinner.  I don't know what her cholesterol reading was however. 
      Smile
    JD: You're very welcome.   I've seen 5 year olds who eat salads (with bitter greens, no less) and then I've seen kids who make a face at the thought of eating anything green, so you never know.   you do have to be creative!  

Dread:  Glad you are feeling better!   Being sick near a holiday is a bummer, so I hope you're ok for Thanksgiving.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wizen. Show wizen's posts

All snarkiness aside, you all have motivated me as well! 
    Some very good information here!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RPS123. Show RPS123's posts

Not sure if this is out there yet but online weight watchers did it for me.  No meetings (I'm not a meeting person), no special foods, it's relatively inexpensive and you just put in what you eat.  It has become a part of my routine to enter stuff in and as a result, I lost 40lbs over two years.  In that time period I also became more active, refined what I chose to eat and reduced portion sizes to ones that were a little less 'super sized'.  The website also helped me to make smarter choices for more filling, healthier foods.  I know I sound like an advertisement but as someone with many ailments, it made my life a whole lot better and I'm about as healthy as I could possibly be at this point in my life because of it.  Good luck Dread.  Since you're facing this head-on, you're going to be just fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Cariokie. Show -Cariokie's posts

In Response to Re: So I need some help: Hey, JD! If you see this, Happy Thanksgiving!!
    I had to start changing my diet around the time I hit 35.  People that have met me in person will laugh, because I am rail thin these days, but that has more to do with going through a divorce than anything.  But I digress.  I basically started cutting some things out of the grocery list.  Chips and doritos and such.  Anything where my impulse control was weak, I stopped keeping around the house. I also stopped eating out for lunch.  Stopped drinking sodas, except for the occasional treat.  I used to love drinking Pepsi in the am. I basically tried to make small changes here and there, and it really all added up to a big difference in my middle.  I never tried to do anything that I new I couldn't sustain for the long haul. The other thing, of course, is the gym and exercise.  I can't always do it regularly, but I just keep at it.  Sometimes I can only make it 1 day a week, but I never give up.  I just keep at it, no matter how little it might seem. good luck
    Posted by jdrotten

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Cariokie. Show -Cariokie's posts

In Response to Re: So I need some help:OMG JBar, congrats! I need to talk to you about this post. Once my divorce nightmare is over (hopefully 40 days + or -), I need to lose about 25, too. Happy Thanksgiving and I'll be in touch!!
    Dread, this is going to be a long post so grab a snack (healthy of course) and settle in. Over the past few months I've dropped 32 lbs and I've got 6 more to go.  I went from a size 14 to a 6 and soon I'll be a 4.  I did it through portion control and exercise.  If you're at a restaurant, when order your meal ask them to put half of it in a carryout container before they serve you.  Drink water water water.  All day.  Esp before meals.  Salads actually taste better when they're only dressed with balsamic vinegar, no oil.  No bleu cheese! Eat a healthy breakfast as soon as you wake up - it'll kick start your metabolism.  Snack throughout the day on stuff that's easy to carry around (nuts, fruit etc).  Try to make your lunch the biggest meal of your day and go light at dinnertime.  When I go to restaurants now I always order a large salad with either chicken or salmon on it.  Even restaurants that don't have this on the menu will almost always make it for you.  If you like salmon, ask the server if it's wild or farm raised. Farm raised is not good. Invest in a decent heart rate monitor and wear it all day for a day.  Turn it on before you get out of bed. That night when you're headed to bed, check it to see how many calories you burned that day.  You have to take in fewer calories than you burn if you want to lose weight.  Homemade soup is your friend.  Weight Watchers has a recipe for zero point soup.  Make a batch on the stove or in a crockpot and you can heat it up all week for dinner.  I'll send you the recipe if you want. Buy everything organic.  Sure it's more expensive but you're not feeding a family of 6.  You can splurge on you. Exercise - walk everywhere you can.  And walk quickly!  At the grocery store, gym, etc. park as far away as you can. It kills me when i see people jockeying for the closest parking spot at my gym!  Try to walk briskly at least 30 minutes a day.  If it's not too geeky, carry dumb bells with you and swing your arms while you walk.  It's great for shoulders, biceps and triceps.  Exercise in front of the tv.  It's easy to do a bunch of ab exercises, bicep curls, etc while watching the Patriots and the Bruins.  Find a walking partner (Buttercup?).  Make a plan to get up 30 minutes early everyday and really bust hump around your neighborhood.  Make one weekend day the day you'll really get a good workout in.  Running, biking, hiking, skating, cross country skiing, blading, boarding....make it fun. Throw out your fat clothes!  Keeping them in the closet means that you expect to wear them again.  Bad!  Set milestones for yourself (baby steps) and reward yourself when you hit them.  As soon as you drop one size, get some sexy jeans in the new size.  After you drop another 10 pounds, buy those exercise shoes you've been lusting after.  Don't reward yourself with a hot fudge sundae though! My diet consists of lots of fruit and veggies, brown rice, lean meats and fish, lots of tea, soups, etc.  I tossed out the chips, cookies, ice cream, and I don't eat much bread anymore.  I know you like sandwiches - try whole wheat pita bread or deli flats for a change.  Bottom line is, a "diet" is a lifestyle.  You have to like what you eat or you won't stick with it.  You may be surprised how much "good for you" stuff you actually like!  And food without hormones and pesticides is just plain tastier. Last thought - next spring plant a garden.  If you don't have a yard, find a community garden in your town and get a patch of land.  The gardening is great exercise and food that you grow yourself is the best food you'll ever eat.
    Posted by TheRealJBar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealJBar. Show TheRealJBar's posts

Hi Cari!  I miss you!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

yogafriend, Amazing. We could have been neighbors at one time too.  It is a small world.

I also agree with jd on your 'mind, body & spirit' way of life.  Though I am relatively healthy & in pretty good shape for my age & having kids, there is always room for improvement.

I love your posts & lists (easy read) & everyone's suggestions. Here's to a better & healthier New Year to all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. I have a lot to be thankful for which includes meeting my new 'fake' friends.  Quite a few have become 'real' over time. It's been quite a year.

P. S. I'll start eating more healthy tomorrow. I can't resist apple or pudding pie.

Sections
Shortcuts